The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Wind Up Bird Chronicles

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10060 comments Mod
July's group read... I'm excited to see what you guys think of this one. Be sure to hide your spoilers using the nifty spoiler html code.....

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 4 comments Oh man, I literally finished this book on Thursday! I can't wait to hear about what everyone thinks!

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (elendili) I'm only 200 pages in but it's proven to be incredibly interesting already :D I can't wait to finish it^^

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 4 comments Lauren, I'm a huge Murakami fan and I'm happy to say if you dig the magical realist bit and the fact that he blurs the lines of reality, he delivers in his other novels as well! I love how well he's able to go from simplicity to complexity in the shortest of paragraphs.

I reviewed the W.U.B.C. on my blog. It doesn't necessarily have spoilers, but it does have a thematic interpretation of theme that might lead to "figuring-out" some of the mysteries of the book, so beware if you decide to look at it: http://peripatetic13.wordpress.com/20...

message 5: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I read this one last year and found it to be a page turner. It's weird, way out there, off the wall ... all of those things. But it's damn good!

It's hard to identify with the people in the story, but still you can 'empathize' with them.

message 6: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments Is this group thinking of doing another book by this author? If so, I'll be here.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (mkop359) Carly wrote: "It's weird, way out there, off the wall"

I'm a third of the way through this book and definitely have to agree with all of that. I found it pretty hard to get into, but it's slowly growing on me, even if it isn't a page-turner. I'll have to wait to the end before I figure out if I want to read anything else by this author.

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (mkop359) So I finally finished the book. I can't say I liked it, it was too odd for that. But I can't say I disliked it either. The way the fantasy world is woven in with the real one was quite well done, I thought. If I do pick up another book by this author it will be a long time from now.

message 9: by Natalie (last edited Jul 29, 2011 06:20PM) (new)

Natalie (elendili) I'm a hundred pages away from finishing but I know I agree with Meg. This was extremely odd yet enjoyable. At times it dragged on to the point where I had to shelf it for a few days but I am pushing through to the finish! I meant to read Kafka on the Shore, which is by Murakami as well, but I think I'm going to hold off for a while. Maybe next summer (:

message 10: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I did it in audio version - that always makes it easier. I can listen to the story and play computer games (online jig saw puzzles usually) at the same time.

It's a good way to take on some 'serious Freecell'.

OK ... I heard somebody say that once, and thought it was terribly funny, so I just had to repeat it. Though I very rarely play Freecell.