Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Susie's June Reads

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Mostly cozies...but a pretty good month ;)

Spider Web by Earlene Fowler "5"
Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons by Blaize Clement "3.5"
Sixkill by Robert B. Parker "4"
Memories Can Be Murder by Connie Shelton "4"
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly "4.5"
Christmas Letters by Debbie Macomber "3.5"
CSI: Binding Ties by Max Allan Collins "4"
Ink Flamingos by Karen E. Olson "4.5"
CSI: Killing Game by Max Allan Collins "4"
Sentenced to Death by Lorna Barrett "4"
Honeymoons Can Be Murder by Connie Shelton "4"
Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich "4"

DNF:
I almost feel guilty listing this book, because it seems like everyone likes it. I might try again another time...maybe it was just my mood or the fact I was listening to an audio version.
Still Life by Louise Penny

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I've read 7 of the books on your list and pretty much agree with your opinions on all of them. I just thought SPIDER WEB was excellent!

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Melodie, just out of curiosity...have you read Still Life?

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Melodie, just out of curiosity...have you read Still Life?"

I did. I read it in Oct. 2009 and gave it 4 stars. I remember it started out a little slow for me, but once I got into it I really liked it.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Melodie wrote: "Susie in KS wrote: "Melodie, just out of curiosity...have you read Still Life?"

I did. I read it in Oct. 2009 and gave it 4 stars. I remember it started out a little slow for me, but once I go..."

Thank you! I won't give away the book...just yet ;)

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Great month Susie! I have slowed way down on cozies after losing my reader buddy Mom, but miss them and her enjoyment of them. I have a stack waiting for me to have time for them. I haven't read Still Life yet but plan too, I usually love the series, especially in the heat of summer when reading of the cold in Three Pines is soothing! ;)
Sadly I have Spider Web in the library tbr pile and didn't get time to read it this time around before the due date. grrr.
Susie in KS wrote: "Mostly cozies...but a pretty good month ;)."

message 7: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I enjoyed Still Life, though like Melodie, I thought it started out slowly. I thought the writing showed great depth and enjoyed the cozy little community feel.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Yes, exactly Marcy! The cozy community feel is one of my favorite aspects of the Louise Penny books!
Marcy wrote: "I enjoyed Still Life, though like Melodie, I thought it started out slowly. I thought the writing showed great depth and enjoyed the cozy little community feel."

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Susie in KS wrote: "DNF:
I almost feel guilty listing this book, because it seems like everyone likes it. I might try again another time...maybe it was just my mood or the fact I was listening to an audio version.
Still Life by Louise Penny

..."

Just said this elsewhere but this is my new favorite series. I have a crush on the chief inspector...

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments OK, you've all talked me into giving Still Life one more try. I was trying to listen to it when I work out at the "Y", and I think I was just distracted. Next time, I'll try just reading it ;)

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1273 comments Cathy wrote: "Susie in KS wrote: "DNF:
I almost feel guilty listing this book, because it seems like everyone likes it. I might try again another time...maybe it was just my mood or the fact I was listening to..."

Cathy, LOL..I can understand your crush...those deep brown eyes-a guy that listens...his wife is one lucky lady

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments Cathy wrote: "

Just said this elsewhere but this is my new favorite series. I have a crush on the chief inspector... ..."

Me too, Cathy! I made the mistake of listening to these on CD, that French Canadian accent really gets to me...

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I need to check my though my book journal to see what the last connie shelton book I read was. I probably have some catching up to do.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 101 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Mostly cozies...but a pretty good month ;)

Susie, I like Connie Shelton's books. I have read most of them and need to try to find the rest of them. You had a good month.