Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > interesting article about "our"heroes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3593 comments michael connelly and lee child both had this on their facebook pages today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001...

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Very interesting article, Sherry. Thanks for posting it.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Good article!

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments Great article. Thanks for posting.

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1368 comments If a writer starts the MC at age 13 theoretically the series could continue as the MC becomes an adult, because the fan base will also become adults.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments I loved this article. Thanks for sharing it Sherry! I have often thought about this subject, and must admit I like that the characters show that they can still excel at what they do best no matter their age.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments very amusing. it was interesting to hear who was aging their detectives and who not. Some of the authors sounded like a character in a Stephen King novel, being implored not to age, retire or kill off their characters. Although I have to admit if Sandford killed off Lucas Davenport I'd be pretty p.o.'d. I can almost sympathize with Annie Wilkes, the MC of Misery.

Sherry wrote: "michael connelly and lee child both had this on their facebook pages today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001..."

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments I guess the question then becomes, do we identify with the characters the same in their senior years or do they need to be younger and more active? (without creaks and pains) ;)
In non-YA fiction (adult fiction) I admit to wondering sometimes how some really young (to me) early twenty-something characters find the maturity to do some of the things they have done in books; can't think of an example right now though. With series characters I know and love, in my mind they are ageless mostly anyway, still somewhere in the productive years of their profession no matter the number of decades that have passed since I started reading them.

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Spenser would have to be my dad's age, almost 80, because he was in the Korean War. But I could never think of him that way.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1368 comments Ann wrote: "I guess the question then becomes, do we identify with the characters the same in their senior years or do they need to be younger and more active? (without creaks and pains) ;)
In non-YA fiction (..."

Flavia de Luce, the 11 year old detective of Alan Bradley's series written for adults is apparently very precocious. I haven't read any of these. Theoretically, she has quite a long career ahead of her even if the author ages her.