The Atheist Book Club discussion

Atheism + Skepticism > Jesus' crucifixion wasn't much of a sacrifice.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Crucifixion is pretty gruesome stuff, isn't it? Strapped to a log, nailed down for good measure. Left to die in your own sweet time. This is what Jesus did for you and me, according to the popular mythology. It was the ultimate sacrifice. The best thing anyone has ever done in the history of the universe.

More here: http://m.examiner.com/exAtlanta/db_/c...

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (deltakilo) | 22 comments It's as I often say when told that Jesus "died for [my] sins." "Yes, but he was up and walking around in three days, so it wasn't that bad."

message 3: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK The terrible part about this story is what happened to the author, and other children, as youngsters:-

'When I was in a Christian grade school, a doctor came into our class and spent the better part of an hour describing all the horrific, excruciating varieties of pain a person goes through while being crucified. No details were left out to spare young minds. It was awful. Truly awful. At the end of the session, the teacher began listing off sins every one of us had surely committed. Things every normal adolescent does. After each one, she listed off one of the torments Jesus allegedly endured and said, "Every time you do it, you're doing THIS to Jesus! You're killing him! Every time!'

This has happened to millions of children and is still happening. It is child abuse which the authorities do not punish. It is disgraceful!

message 4: by George (new)

George King (kinggeorge) | 141 comments The best part of the story is, of course, Jesus sacrificing himself to himself--silly beyond words.

message 5: by Melki (new)

Melki | 211 comments I used to have this great argument with a Jehovah's Witness pal that if Christ HAD to die to save mankind, then why aren't Judas and Pilate celebrated as heroes? She had no answer, but to her credit - at least she kept a sense of humor about it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Melki wrote: "I used to have this great argument with a Jehovah's Witness pal that if Christ HAD to die to save mankind, then why aren't Judas and Pilate celebrated as heroes? She had no answer, but to her cred..."

I have a JW friend, too, and we had a similar argument. Unfortunately, she does not have a sense of humor about it and has basically told me never to talk to her about religion again. I don't really mind that but she was the one who started the conversation. :/

message 7: by Melki (new)

Melki | 211 comments That's the problem with many religious people. They don't seem to have anything else to talk about. I'm thinking of starting a topic on friendships between atheists and christians. Are they truly possible?

message 8: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK I have several very religious relatives in Trinidad (my late husband was a Trinidadian) and have managed to have great friendships with them but at the cost of treating some subjects as no-go areas. But this might be the same if I was a Democrat who was friends with a die-hard Republican. Friends generally have a number of topics in life where they are compatible - I strike up many friendships over gardening for instance, or books for that matter. But if folks do not have a sense of humour, a friendship will not blossom with me because it is always such a 'saving grace'.