SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I picked up my copy this morning but I'm in the middle of Midnight at the Well of Souls so I haven't cracked it open yet .... somehow, though, I think I might fall in love with this world ....

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I don't know: I'm about half way through the sample and it's not grabbing me at all. So far it's feels way too detached and dry.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I got an early start and finished it today but I'm going to wait to comment until someone else finishes it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The sample has double or triple spaces between paragraphs. Does the book have the same problem?

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) Yes, it's formatted that way, very annoying--I hate that style of formatting.

message 6: by Bigal-sa (last edited Jul 02, 2011 12:45AM) (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments The Kindle version I have (of all three in the series), has excellent formatting (I'll add a pic a bit later) - of the best I've seen for any book.

One of the things I liked the most was the in-line linking to items in the glossary. The thing I hated most was that I couldn't find decent maps. Those at the start of the books look awful on the Kindle. One day when I'm bored I may copy them off Kindle for PC and make something more usable.

message 7: by Bigal-sa (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments I've just checked my 'Kindle Library' on Amazon and found that my copy has turned into a "We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site". Quite irritating - I wonder what would happen if I archived the book :(

message 8: by Daniel (last edited Jul 03, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

Daniel Potter | 3 comments Got as far as chapter eight. Awful. I feel as if its I'm reading an vocabulary exercise, pages and pages of pointless description crowd out any meaningful interplay of the characters. When we finally get to a character interaction we are "treated" to few lines of ponderous dialog and then told the emotions those words invoke. There is no hook, no reason to keep reading and nobody to route for. I cannot even muster more than a wince of sympathy for the princess.

If there is a worthwhile story in this book its buried well beyond the first 20% and there it shall remain.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) Okay, someone else spoke first, and it looks like some other people may not read it so here is my GR review:

I had really high hopes for this book but was very disappointed. From the start the detailed description of the history of the different kingdoms and the long lists of names just got me confused. There was relatively little dialogue in the book and I don't know if it was that or just the way the story was told but I felt very removed from the story and never connected with the characters at all. For most of the book it didn't feel to me that the plot was going anywhere. Around 85%, things started to happen and there was actually some action but it was too little too late for me.

Charles, your phrase "detached and dry" was spot on, and Daniel, yeah, 85% is a bit long to wait. The thing that gets me is this book has 70% 4 and 5 star ratings. So I'm hoping somebody likes it and gives us some insight. Bigal-sa, you gave it 5 stars, what did you love about it?

message 10: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Based on half the sample and the preceding reviews (and I think Donna and I tend to have similar tastes), I'm going to save my money and skip this one. If cash and time were unlimited, I might give it a shot, but since they aren't...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm at 26% and I don't hate it - the ideas to this world are interesting - but it proceeds at a ponderous speed. I wasn't going to read the comments and hope it gets to plot, but I think I might be glad I did...

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Potter | 3 comments Any one else want to defend the book?

message 13: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 5 comments I just finished it yesterday, and I actually liked it. I think I'll be continuing on with the series eventually. Towards the end, especially, I found myself racing through to see how it would turn out. Some of the long descriptive passages were quite dry, but the story was interesting enough to keep me reading.