Dead Poets Society discussion

Monthly Read Discussions > Wicked - Discussion (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Lee | 56 comments Mod
It is not necessary to cover ALL of these questions, or to even use them at all. However, if you have read the book and dont know where to start, feel free to pick one and comment.

1.) Wicked uses familiar characters to tell a new story. In what ways are Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and others the same? In what ways are they different?

2.)What is the significance of Elphaba's green skin in the story? What does it represent in our society?

3.)How does social class define Oz? What is the role of animals? Why does Elphaba fight for them?

4.) Wicked examines the nature of evil. Is Elphaba evil? Are her actions? Is there such a thing as evil? What is it and how does it manifest itself?

5.)Rate Wicked on a scale of 1 to 5.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Mags | 22 comments 4) I have read wicked a few years ago and I remember thinking that Elba is not evil. She is just misunderstood. I feel I can't really elaborate more on this because it has been years since I have read it.

5) I would give it a four out of five. The book caught my interest and I devoured it in no time. It also gave another prospective on a classic tale.

message 3: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Giles | 7 comments Hi folks, just wanted to say that the book finally came in @ my library (someone had it checked out for ages) so I'm going to dig in tonight & catch up on the discussion tomorrow or Friday! Thanks for the Qs!