Animal Rights Group discussion

Vegetarians > Vegetarianism + Veganism

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 9 comments Has anyone thought about this lately? What are yours opinions/reasons for eating or not eating meat? Are any of you vegetarians from birth?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't eat meat just because of how the animal is treated during its life and in slaughter....plus i think i can get a little too attached to animals. =(

Probably because i've been scarred for life since my family raises goats and when i was younger i basicly made pets out of them then i found out what my family planned to do with them...X(

Now that i think about it, it's not bad to eat meat....just meat from factory farms...=\

message 3: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 9 comments Idk. I don't eat meat either. I know factory farms can be really bad, but, I mean, however an animal gets killed, its still killed, right?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd rather eat meat and know the animal had a good life and death than eat meat and know it was suffering its whole life...

Lexphie (The Animal Lover) | 24 comments i dont eat factory farm meat at all. I agree with temple grandin. If we are going to eat them then we should at least treat them with respect. I only eat meat from humane slaughter houses

message 6: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 9 comments THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD DEATH!!!! If you DIE it really can't be very pleasant, can it? Would you be okay with dying today just because you had a good life?

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 05, 2011 03:32PM) (new)

Petunia wrote: "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD DEATH!!!! If you DIE it really can't be very pleasant, can it? Would you be okay with dying today just because you had a good life?"

Yes there is, silly. =P

Would you rather be eaten alive by ants or die in your sleep?

message 8: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 9 comments I would rather die in my sleep. I guess in your opinion thats a "good" thing. I'm glad you have absolutely no value for my life. Thanks.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

No prob, Buddy. =)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, understand that part of the reason is that i believe in Reincarnation. =)

message 11: by Petunia (new)

Petunia | 9 comments OOOHH. So you don't care if animals die because they will just come back so you can kill them again. Cool.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

No. But I respect that people eat animals, i used to say that they can just find another sorce of protien but it's not always that easy....

I DO care about the well being of the animal during life and slaughter....because This is unacceptable.

As for Reincarnation, i believe that people and perhaps animals ((depending on what they believe...yes, what they believe)) get more chances...

So, Miss Petunia. Say what you will of me because i love animals, i'm a Pescatarian, I'm proud of it and i don't give a fuck what you think of me.

The end. =P

message 13: by Petunia (last edited Jul 07, 2011 06:36PM) (new)

Petunia | 9 comments You're right about one thing. This is unacceptable. But so is this!! We cannot always be sure that the animals are treated nicely during their lives EVEN if the brand says that they are. The only way to be sure you are not supporting these horrible practices is to not eat meat. Obviously we have different religious beliefs that make our opinions about killing different.

((Oh, and please don't freak out and swear like that. It's rude. And obviously neither of us care what random internet people think of us. But we can debate morals to discover new perspectives and develop ourselves intellectually. I thought that's what we were doing. Not having a petty argument as I guess you had assumed.))

Lexphie (The Animal Lover) | 24 comments Petunia wrote: "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD DEATH!!!! If you DIE it really can't be very pleasant, can it? Would you be okay with dying today just because you had a good life?"

i mean that they are treated humanely before and during death

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Petunia wrote: "You're right about one thing. This is unacceptable. But so is this!! We cannot always be sure that the animals are treated nicely during their lives EVEN if the brand says that they are. The only w..."

I agree about the first part and i'm sorry about the second.

message 16: by Farrah (new)

Farrah My husband and I became vegan on September 1st. Previously, we were omnivores. I had read 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health by Neal Barnard, MD and was amazed at the health benefits from a plant-based diet. So originally we came to veganism for health reasons as he had high cholesterol and high blood sugar. Since becoming vegans, and learning more about the ethical side of things, we know that we could never go back to eating meat and dairy simply because it is disgusting and cruel. I was explaing this to a co-worker today and she didn't believe me that dairy cows had to be impregnated or calved in order to produce milk and that those calves are slaughtered shortly after they have been sold to the veal industry. She refused to believe me so I pulled up Google and found a Non-partisan definintion on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_ca...

She still is having a hard time with it. Most people don't know this as they guzzle cartons of milk and eat cheese.

I have been keeping a blog of our vegan journey. Feel free to read it at http://carrottopvegan.blogspot.com

message 17: by MarieAnge (new)

MarieAnge (marieangebouchard) I switched to vegetarian for moral reasons. I love all animals, and don't like the thought of slaughtering them. (Yes I know I'm still kind of contributing as long as I'm not vegan, but I'm not quite ready to give up cheese.... its my last source of comfort!!)

I like to stick by the sentiment that its a personal choice. I choose not to judge others who don't agree with me. After all, I used to eat meat too. It takes time to change, and I'd rather lead by example. A lot of times people are curious when they find out I'm a vegetarian, and then I get the opportunity to talk to them about it on their own terms.

Lexphie (The Animal Lover) | 24 comments i am kinda a vegetarian now. my mom makes me eat poultry and fish but i dont eat anything else. she says i need protein so ya :(

message 19: by Farrah (new)

Farrah When I went vegan, I thought cheese was going to be the hardest thing to give up. After I learned about the creulty of the dairy industry I could never eat a piece of cheese again.

Poultry and fish are not the only sources of protein. There is plenty of protein in beans, kale, tofu, vegetables, tempeh, and whole grains like quinoa, millet, and amaranth.

message 20: by MarieAnge (new)

MarieAnge (marieangebouchard) Farrah wrote: "When I went vegan, I thought cheese was going to be the hardest thing to give up. After I learned about the creulty of the dairy industry I could never eat a piece of cheese again."

Ack! I know, I know! I feel so guilty, but I just can't help myself. Mmm gooey melty cheese... why does it have to taste so good?!?!

Think I'm gonna try cutting back on how much cheese I eat. Maybe I can slowly wean myself off of it. Have you found any vegan substitutes that taste good? Most vegan 'meat' tastes horrible to me, so I don't even dare try their 'cheese'.

message 21: by Farrah (last edited Oct 20, 2011 08:19AM) (new)

Farrah Gardein makes some of the best meat-free products out there. Their crispy chik'n strips totally taste like chicken fingers! I have had their chicken breasts in a restuarant and was actually scared to eat it because it looked SO much like real chicken. We double checked with the chef just to be sure! I am not really into a lot of processed foods BUT...if I do get something...it is usually a gardein product. Located in the freezer section of most chain grocery stores.

Cheese-wise it is tough. In Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's book The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately she talks about the cheese love. She says that primarily we love the salt and fat that we get from cheese and the memories. Like my grandmother used to make the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches and whenever I used to eat them it brought that nostalgia. BUT...that is also food conditionin...a habit that should be broken. Cheese often times equals comfort but it doesn't have to.

Ultimately, you need to make the choice to just not eat cheese in the same way you choose not to eat meat.

There is no substitute that is going to taste like cheese, because cheese is cheese.

Check out my blog http://carrottopvegan.blogspot.com

I made an amazing pumpkin alfredo sauce and tofu ricotta that tasted cheesy and good.

I am not crazy about Daiya cheese but I do like it on the Tofurky pizza.

I did just hear about a vegan wine, chocolate, and cheese bar called Cocoa V in NYC that I want to go to. They make all of the nut cheeses and JLgoesVegan, another blogger went there and loved it.

Experimenting is part of the vegan life. Some things you will like and some you won't but in the end, you are making a stand for compassionate eating and that is the most important thing. :)

Lexphie (The Animal Lover) | 24 comments Farrah wrote: "When I went vegan, I thought cheese was going to be the hardest thing to give up. After I learned about the creulty of the dairy industry I could never eat a piece of cheese again.

Poultry and ..."

i know my mom just says i have to, and the rest of my family eats meat

message 23: by MarieAnge (new)

MarieAnge (marieangebouchard) Farrah wrote: "Gardein makes some of the best meat-free products out there. Their crispy chik'n strips totally taste like chicken fingers! I have had their chicken breasts in a restuarant and was actually scared ..."

Thanks! I'm gonna have to look for that. I know what you're saying about conditioning and all that... makes sense. Gah. I guess I just have to try harder :) Also, I agree about experimenting. When I first switched to vegetarian, I thought I was losing out on so much food, but the more experimenting I did, the more I saw how much I was missing out on before!

LMAO! I am in love with your blog! "No talking until I get my coffee"....I am the same way!!! :D Your recipes sound yummy, I'm gonna have to try some! Thanks!!!

message 24: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Aww thanks. I have so much fun with the blog.
Check out the new post...we had some challenges this week.

http://carrottopvegan.blogspot.com/20...

Lexphie (The Animal Lover) | 24 comments ohh cool