What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. dolphin island girl character - nuclear radiation?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin | 5 comments So I remember reading a book as a child that had a female protagonist who was (I think) studying under the tutelage of a male scientist. They were working with dolphins to teach the dolphins language (i think). The only other thing I remember is that I believe it took place on an island, and that there was some region of the ocean where the dolphins wouldn't go (due, I believe, to a nuclear accident/bomb explosion in the past).

Thoughts? I've tried googling around, but can't put my finger on it.

I believe it was a children's book -- or at least that I read it as a child -- puts the date of publication no later than mid nineties, probably earlier.

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments The Music Of Dolphins by Karen Hesse has most of those elements. I haven't read it myself, so I don't know if the part about the nuclear radiation is included.

A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle also has dolphins/an island/young woman/male scientist.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin | 5 comments hmmm, is it possible that I am thinking of a ring of endless light? (i'll check tonight -- I love that book, but for some reason think it is something else). its going to be pretty lame if it turns out i knew what it was all along (i don't have a copy anymore).

thanks! (i'll also check the other)

message 4: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) | 55 comments I doubt it's The Music of Dolphins; there's nothing about radiation in that and no one is trying to teach the dolphins language. Actually, it's the other way around--the girl was raised by dolphins and then when humans find her they try to teach her language. It's done in a very interesting way with her writing. Now I want to reread it!

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy | 41 comments Is it maybe A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle? I don't know about the radiation part but the research has to do with communication. Plot summary here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Ring...

message 6: by Gerd (last edited Jul 03, 2011 06:57AM) (new)

Gerd | 224 comments Justin wrote: "So I remember reading a book as a child that had a female protagonist who was (I think) studying under the tutelage of a male scientist. They were working with dolphins to teach the dolphins langu..."

Could it been part of Brin's uplift series of books, that had intelligent dolphins far as I remember?
Startide Rising

Or Clarke would come to mind: Dolphin Island

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Nichols (Nicholsp) | 1 comments Radiation and dolphin book could be Who has Poisoned the Sea by Audrey Coppard. I read this book some 35 years ago and it deeply impressed me. So much so that when the radiation started leaking in Fukushima, I went to see how the dolphins in Japan were coping. See what I found here. http://www.sapporo-now.com/

message 8: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments The Day of the Dolphin - Robert Merle

It's got to be about thirty years since I read it, but it does have teaching dolphins to talk, not sure about a female character, and also not sure about the radiation thing ... I don't suppose your target book has an assassination plot involved?

Definitely NOT a children's book, though.

message 9: by Lbaker (new)

Lbaker | 12 comments It could be Dolphin Island by Arthur C Clarke which is youth fiction, but I think the hero was male.

message 10: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments I read A Ring of Endless Light out of curiousity, but there was no mention of a place the dolphins wouldn't go because of radiation or anything.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Justin, are you still looking for this book?

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin | 5 comments I am, I'd forgotten about this thread. going to check the suggestions. did you have an idea?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Sadly, no!

message 14: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2108 comments The Last Whales, Lloyd Abbey. New York: Ballantine/Ivy Books, 1991.

From the cover copy: "The oceans have become eerily silent. For the first time in decades there is no sound of men plundering the seas, but neither is there any sound of marine life. Nuclear radiation has turned the waters of planet Earth into a barren wasteland.

"Now in this watery graveyard, the last majestic Blue Whales swim through the oceans numbed by shock and despair. Theirs is a final desperate battle against forces over which they have no control as man-made death slowly seeks to annihilate all living creatures."

Farley Mowat: "The Last Whales is a truly remarkable look at the world of the ocean and all of its major denizens . . . Although it is impossible for a human being to view things through the eyes and mind of a whale, Lloyd Abbey has probably come as close as one can get."
http://www.helsinki.fi/~lauhakan/whal...

From Google search: dolphins language kirkusreviews radiation.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Includes dolphins according to goodreads review. Appears to be adult fiction though.
---

Summary of the abovementioned book.
Audrey Coppard, Who Has Poisoned the Sea? (1972). What would you do if you were suddenly confronted by a boy who said he came from the future, and who had electronic gadgets attached to his head? And asked for your help in a desperate situation? This is what happened to Tim Dunwoodie. Percy, his accidental visitor from the 25th century, tells him that in Tim's day some unknown substance had been released into the Atlantic, slowly changing into a deadly poison. Vast areas of the oceans are being laid waste.

message 15: by bookel (last edited Jan 10, 2014 01:51AM) (new)

bookel | 2108 comments See this and this quote.
"Exposed to radiation in an early fetal stage, John was born with slight physical abnormalities that would enable him to live for extended periods of time in the..."

dolphin "john averill"

Destiny and the Dolphins
Roy Meyers - 1971

The Dolphin Rider - Page 157
Roy Meyers - 1968 - ‎Snippet view
'Let me introduce you to Sir John Averill, the only son of Sir Arthur Averill.' There was dead silence and Rupert Lord paled. 'If this is some sort of joke,' he said, 'it's in very poor taste.' 'It's no joke, I assure you,' said Raynor. 'Didn't it strike you as ...

Daughters of the Dolphin
Roy Meyers - 1968

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Did this get moved to Abandoned by mistake? OP responded @12.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Oh I see, it was moved to Abandoned and then the OP responded.

message 18: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2108 comments It should be in unsolved.

message 19: by bookel (last edited Jan 10, 2014 09:29PM) (new)

bookel | 2108 comments Can probably rule out Shadows in the Water by Kathryn Lasky. Great book though!

Dolphins -- children's/young adult fiction.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
bump

message 21: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2108 comments http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=kw%3...
Have you checked results like this? Find reviews on Google books if no summary.

message 22: by Michele (new)

message 23: by AuroraBlaze (new)

AuroraBlaze | 55 comments Michele wrote: "The Dolphins of Pern, maybe?"

I love that book, but there wasn't any mention of radiation, the main character is a boy, and the dolphins already know how to talk.

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking, Justin?

message 25: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking, Justin?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.