YA LGBT Books discussion

Book of the Month > July 2011 - Rise of Heros by Hayden Thorne

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Aug 05, 2011 05:36AM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Rise of Heroes

This discussion thread may contain spoilers and is intended for those who have already finished the book.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I haven't read this book yet so I won't be able to contribute to the discussion but carry on without me :)

message 3: by Heather C (new)

Heather C (heathercook) | 18 comments Yay! I've already read it! So glad this one was picked!

message 4: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I'd better get started reading then!:)

message 5: by Nikyta (new)

Nikyta Omg, I've read it, too! It's so good and funny!

message 6: by Mandapanda (last edited Jul 04, 2011 07:39PM) (new)

Mandapanda I've just started reading it and wanted to write down some impressions. It's very funny, lots of pop culture references and crazy secondary characters. The two main protagonists could not be any more adorable. I've just read up to their second kiss. The book is written in the first person POV by Eric who is such an emo. Writing tortured haiku by night, fantasizing about his crushes, his goth clothing, guyliner etc. Peter is more mysterious but by this stage I'm sure I know why!

I can see where the author gets the name of the series 'Masks'. Even the magnificently creepy (and Gotham-esque) Vintage City is described as hiding its technological advances under a 200 yr old mask.

I've just started chapter 11 where Eric and Althea go to the Solstice Masque Carnival...

message 7: by Mandapanda (last edited Jul 04, 2011 03:09PM) (new)

Mandapanda Actually this book has just reminded me of a question I'd like to pose to you guys from the U.S. Here in Australia we have primary school which lasts from age 5 to age 11, then secondary school (aka high school) which lasts from age 12 to age 17. Is that similar to your schooling? How old is a sophomore and a freshman? When you say College and University, are they the same thing? Do you have to live-in when you go to college and/or Uni?

message 8: by Lori (last edited Jul 05, 2011 04:46AM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Mandy, in most states we have elementary school which is grades 1 - 5 (6 -11) then middle school which is grades 6 - 8 and then high school which is grades 9 - 12. A freshman in high school is usually 14 or 15.

College and University is somewhat interchangeable here in the US but a college tends to focus more narrowly on a certain type of education where a University is made up of several "colleges", like the college of business, college of finance, etc... Universities typically offer a much wider variety of degree programs. Community Colleges are two year schools that allow you to get an Associates Degree or allow you to transfer to a University to complete a 4 year bachelors degree.

Whether you live at the school you attend depends more on proximity to the school then anything else. We live an hour from the University my son attends so he lives there. He had to live in a Freshman dorm the first year but after that first year, the students can live either on or off campus.

message 9: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Thanks Lori, that helps a lot!:)

message 10: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Sarge (kdsarge) | 2 comments I have not read the book, but in skimming the thread in digest form, I wanted to mention that "freshman" and "sophomore" are used in college too.

So a freshman in high school will be 14-15, but a freshman in college is 18-19.

In case it matters. ;)

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles (charles_edward) | 20 comments I just finished yesterday. I really enjoyed the book, especially the growth Peter shows and the changes in Eric as he reacts to it.

I sort of got the feeling in the beginning that Eric thought he was the stronger personality in their friendship, that he was a leader and Peter a follower. But when Peter's confidence bloomed, Eric wasn't threatened at all. In fact, I think he welcomed Peter as an equal partner in their relationship – and he really seemed to love the assertive way Peter manhandled him as they made out. (And I don't blame him: It was kind of hot! I'm sure in later books Peter will learn to control his strength a bit better for Eric's safety.)

Wonder what Eric's mom speculates about those faint bruises...?