Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Hounded--July Group Read--SPOILER FREE

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) No spoilers in this topic, please.

message 2: by Brandt (last edited Jul 01, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Brandt I read it and liked it..
This is to the dresden files, what decaf is to regular coffee :P
I'll recommend it to those of you who need a fix before ghost story comes out :)
But it definately isnt in the same weightclass.. maybe it will evolve like the dresden files did, but right now it is a bit unimaginative... The universes are practically identically, and the main character feels like a blend between Harry Dresden and Kvothe (not the worst combination though :P)
That said, it definately is worth a read if you enjoy urban fantasy.. (which i guess you all do, since that is the topic of the group :)

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (halophonic) | 2 comments I have to say, I was hooked, but it may have something to do with the fact I live in Tempe and knew every single location he was writing about. I'm not sure Rula Bula's fish and chips is the best in 30 states, but it's pretty tasty.

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Brandt,

Kvothe? What's he from/ in?

message 5: by Brandt (new)

Brandt He's the main protagonist in Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle..

The Name of the Wind
The Wise Man's Fear

He is a redheaded gypsy genius with extremely high thoughts of himself :)

message 6: by Enjee (new)

Enjee I don't recall any mythology in the Dresden books (which I loved). So I don't see replication of universes.

message 7: by Brandt (last edited Jul 04, 2011 06:01AM) (new)

Brandt **** DRESDEN SPOILER ****

Miss Gard, Marcone's hired goon, works for an organisation called Monoc Securities (Mon -> mono -> one + Oc -> ocular -> eye/sight = One-eyed securities :)..
Monoc Securities is located in Oslo (Norway) and is led by a godlike one-eyed individual called Donar Vadderung.. Donar Vadderung is an alias for Odin, the leader of the gods in norse mythology.. I remember noticing many references to norse mythology when Harry visiits there, amoung those his two black haired secretaries which refers to Hugin and Mugin, Odins two ravens..
I'm pretty sure Harry directly states that Donar is Odin, and explains something about how the power of gods origins from the belief of people, and that the norse gods therefor are less powerfull than they ones were.. The same logic is used to explain the existence of multiple different gods in The Iron Druid..

Besides that, all the stuff about fallen angels, counts as mythology in my book..

message 8: by Enjee (new)

Enjee I do not recall which Dresden book your comment is referencing.

As to "how the power of gods origins from the belief of people", that was in an old TV mini-series as well "Merlin". So why credit Dresden series as the original for that idea? It isn't.

message 9: by Brandt (new)

Brandt It's in Changes..
Haven't said anywhere that it's new to the dresden files.. nor would i call the dresden files especially original.. I'm saying that Hearne plays the same strings as Butcher does, Butcher just makes better music :P

message 10: by Julia (last edited Jul 04, 2011 07:39AM) (new)

Julia | 615 comments Changes is book #12. Butcher's strongest work isn't in his early books; perhaps Hearne will follow a similar pattern of UF authors and get stronger as he writes more?

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyw) | 20 comments I am loving the dialogue between Atticus and Oberon! And Atticus's general wittiness.

message 12: by Brandt (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:20AM) (new)

Brandt ^^ I hope so to, and of course the more books released in a serie the denser the universe and the characters are likely to get..
I have read both books in the Iron Druid now, and there are a lot of potential, both in characters and in the universe..
Minor spoiler (view spoiler)

message 13: by Brandt (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:27AM) (new)

Brandt Tracy wrote: "I am loving the dialogue between Atticus and Oberon! And Atticus's general wittiness."

Thats actually one of the things i didnt like that much, but it might be because im listening to the audio-version, and the readers dog-voice impression is a bit ridiculus :P

message 14: by Enjee (last edited Jul 04, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

Enjee Brandt wrote: "It's in Changes..
Haven't said anywhere that it's new to the dresden files.. nor would i call the dresden files especially original.. I'm saying that Hearne plays the same strings as Butcher does..."

I haven't read Changes yet.
Mythology seems to be a common plot device. I keep reading latest books in series that have a big mythology component. Hunt the Moon by Karen Chance is an example.

message 15: by Enjee (new)

Enjee Brandt wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I am loving the dialogue between Atticus and Oberon! And Atticus's general wittiness."

Thats actually one of the things i didnt like that much, but it might be because im listenin..."

I kept comparing Oberon with Remy's dog in A Kiss Before the Apocalypse, since both books have the dog mind speaking. Oberon is a lot smarter. Remy's dog is just cute and dumb and loves apples.

message 16: by Brandt (new)

Brandt Enjee wrote: "Brandt wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I am loving the dialogue between Atticus and Oberon! And Atticus's general wittiness."

Thats actually one of the things i didnt like that much, but it might be beca..."

I havent read A Kiss Before the Apocalypse, but seriously .. apples ? haha
I will consider Oberons obsession with sausages as evidence of his superior intellect :P

message 17: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments My sister-in-law is currently reading this one. She promised it to me when she's done, so I'm twiddling my thumbs...

Sounds great so far! :)

message 18: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 44 comments "This is to the dresden files, what decaf is to regular coffee :P "

Hah, I like that description!

I thought Hounded read pretty much like a first novel -- which, of course, it was. IMHO Hexed was quite a bit better, and a lot of fun. I've just started Hammered, so no firm opinions on that one yet.

Hearne is not as good a prose stylist as Butcher, for sure. But as someone else pointed out, Butcher improved greatly after the first coupla Dresden books, so there's no telling where Hearne will end up.

And I don't usually care for telepathic/talking animals in general, but Oberon could be a lot worse. It was really weird, though, listening to the telepathic/talking dog in the first Remy Chandler book being narrated by the same guy who narrates the Iron Druid books (Luke Daniels).

Some things I like about the books -- It's nice to see Celtic and Norse gods explored. It's nice to have a change from the deep existential angst of so many UF heroes -- Atticus is comfortable in his own skin, not conflicted about a whole lot of anything. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate existential angst, but it's good to take a break sometimes. ;) I like the wittiness, which has a lighter tone than a lot of other UF. Again, I'm very fond of dark UF (Joe Pitt is one of my favorites), but it's good to take breaks.

Bad things -- the text is often clunky. For one thing -- even though Hearne is an English teacher, he doesn't seem to know what a contraction is. The apostrophe is your friend, Kevin! Also, as I mentioned before I'm not fond of talking animals -- but many people love em, and Oberon isn't a bad one as talking dogs go. Also, ideas/characters/plot points sometimes seem artificially plonked down into the books, rather than growing organically from them. Also, in Hexed especially, the plot seemed quite a lot like "let's go kill this, now let's go kill that, now let's go kill the other thing". Nonetheless, as I said it was a fun read.

I'll be very interested to see how Hammered goes. I've already found ideas I did like, and ideas I didn't -- which I won't spoil here. This series is obviously being pushed hard by the publisher, so at least someone already has faith in the series...

message 19: by Yadira (new)

Yadira | 16 comments I've read about a quarter of the book, and it's great so far. It's a light, fun adventure. The celtic mythology seems to be used well, and I like the world building, fast paced without those chapter-long expositions that sometimes plague stories about gods and mythology.

It's refreshing to read about a character that seems very confortable with who he is. Lately most of the books I've read have lots of angst. If the story keeps moving like this, I'm definitely reading the next book. :)

Contrarius, I haven't noticed anything weird about the writing and contractions, only when the Tuatha de speak "old style," but then, English is not my first language... anyone else noticed this?

message 20: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 44 comments I'm very sensitive to prose, so other folks might not be as affected as I am. But yes, I think you'd notice if you were a native English speaker.

message 21: by Bookwormgirl (new)

Bookwormgirl | 1 comments I loved the dialog, narrative and world building in this. The sarcasm of Atticus and the innocent humor of Oberon balance out and lighten the book.

I liked the pacing and action in the book. I loved the fact that it did not end as a cliff hanger. Yes you want to read more about Atticus and his friends, but this was a self contained story with a resolution.

I was lucky and read this in June, I then went and read book two. I had to wait only a little bit for three, but all three books are great and I recommend them to any one who likes a good tale.

Fangs for the Fantasy | 20 comments Kevin hearne, we fanpoodle in his name. One of the best authors I've ever read. The worldd, the humour - just a truly excellent story