Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
This topic is about Abandon
Abandon discussions > Final Verdict

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) So, what is your overall opinion about Abandon? Are you planning to read the sequels?

Amber (jubilantdusk) | 14 comments I must say, I was rather disappointed in this book. I had high hopes for it but it just kind of fell flat for me. John comes across as cliche, especially the first few times you see him and Pierce's attitude made it difficult for me to have any sympathy for her. I don't think I'll be reading the sequels.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Final Verdict..... well.... I liked this book. It was a fast read for summer. I mean to me you could read it in one day and walla. It wasn't deep or anything like that. I felt it could've used a little more background explaining, I guess what I mean by that is that there was too many questions and too much set up for a next book.

I am glad there was no love triangle. yeesh I am sick of those. I liked the idea of the underworld but hardly any of the book took place there. I loved the twist at the end (BIG SPOLIER) with the grandma being a fury. I didn't see that coming at all to be honest. But then the book is suddenly over. We finally get to some big excitment and in one chapter done.

I love the necklace. The necklace was so magical to me the way it was described. Though I did feel that Pievce should've demanded to know more about it instead of just wearing it. The necklace was the most intriguing topic in the book to me. Where did it come from?

I am just hoping to find out a little more in the next book. I will read it because Abandon was such a fast easy read that I assume the next book will be too. Anyone know when it comes out?

Elisha Karr (elishakarr) I enjoyed it thought it was a good set up for a series really looking forward to reading the second book

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I enjoyed the book but I don't know if I can survive another series by Meg Cabot.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Like Amber, I was disappointed with the book for the same reasons, but I am willing to give the sequels a go, probably because they're written by Meg Cabot. But I don't have a lot of hope for the series. Thankfully, it's only a trilogy!

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) I really liked it! I thought it was fast paced and really kept me interested, nothing bored me too much. Although, I wasn't a big fan of the pretty shallow love story between Pierce and John. Basically he falls in love with her at 7 after seeing how much she cares about a bird. I don't know, there's nothing really impressive about their love. If it's even real....

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Anna wrote: "Basically he falls in love with her at 7 after seeing how much she cares about a bird. I don't know, there's nothing really impressive about their love. If it's even real...."

It's a myth! Don't expect it to ring true or to have any relation to how relationships really work.

It's not so much that he falls in love with her when he first meets her - he recognizes her soul to be the one that he's destined to meet. It's not real - it's a myth. John loves her for the same reason Hades loved and abducted Persephone.

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) Grace wrote: It's a myth! Don't expect it to ring true or to have any relation to how relationships really work.

It's not so much that he falls in love with her when he first meets her - he recognizes her soul to be the one that he's destined to meet. It's not real - it's a myth. John loves her for the same reason Hades loved and abducted Persephone.

Yeah, I definitely get that. I just feel like the love story is just another "love at first sight" types of deals, and there wasn't enough to it to make me really fall in love with the characters as a couple.

Sophia (thesophiachang) I was "meh" on the book right up until Pierce's dad finally shows up in the phone call during his dinner - he's hilarious! He's my favorite character in the whole thing, and he had about a page and a half.

The pacing picked up for me after that, and suddenly it got interesting. I wanted to read the sequel until I read that little blurb at the end saying it takes place in the Underworld with John and Pierce (and yeah I'm not the hugest fan of the couple), so maybe not.

Janette | 1 comments I was kind of surprised how much I liked this book. I had read so many bad reviews that I think I had convinced myself it was going to be awful. I have always enjoyed many stories from Greek mythology, and I found this an interesting take on the story of Hades & Persephone. I am looking forward to seeing where Meg Cabot will take this in the future, and I want to see how John's character will evolve.

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am hoping we see more mythology characters in the second book. And maybe visit the other underworlds.

Ghaida Abdul Rahman (lemechy) | 2 comments I enjoyed the book
*SA*
and that's probably because of the underworld mixed with the Greek mythology, because I love reading about the greek Mythology.
although I was really disappointed about the whole idea of how they meet in the underworld. I mean it's like one second she is there and the other she is not. I would have enjoyed it more if Meg Cabot would have explained more about the underworld.
I really liked the neckless, it was an interesting addition to the story.
I am looking forward to the next book, because I'm hoping there would be more mythology characters and also maybe a little more depth to John and pierce's relationship rather than just love at first sight :)

Amanda | 5 comments I thought the Persephone story (one of my fav Greek myths) was a great premise for a YA book - kidnapping, unrequited love, the struggle to return to your family. However I'm not all that impressed with Meg Cabot's take on the myth. I don't expect it to be completely parallel, but this sort of veered a little too far for me.

That being said, I really did like this book, if a little reluctantly. I think I was just so relieved that Pierce was not another Bella. Can you imagine Bella throwing boiling hot tea in Edward's face? That would be awesome.

I'll give the next book a try. Trilogies are a dime a dozen anymore and I resent that authors, publishers, etc. try to make you feel obligated to keep reading sequel after sequel because it's a trilogy! You have to keep reading! You've come this far! I'll try Underworld and if it is good, I'll keep going. If it's not, I'll give up and not really feel that bad about it.

Stephanie (stephsco) I love Meg Cabot but this isn't one of my favorites. I also would have liked more of the Underworld and less of the samey high school scene - she does it well but I wanted Meg to go dark! It was almost like reading two different books kind of mashed together. I like all the backstory with the Key West-like school setting but it didn't quite fit for me with the mythology. I wanted to like this more, but still a fun read.

Randi (randimorley) I see on here that most people didn't really care for the book, but I quite enjoy it. I love Meg Cabot's writing, so full of humor and love. The only books I haven't read are the Princess series and Allie Finkle series. Abandon is quite good, it took a lot of explaining and set up, but as this is a trilogy, expect each book to get better and better.

message 17: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amanda wrote: "I thought the Persephone story (one of my fav Greek myths) was a great premise for a YA book - kidnapping, unrequited love, the struggle to return to your family. However I'm not all that impressed..."

I agree... everything is a trilogy anymore just to make money. whatever happened to just long books? No we must dish out money for three book (though I get mine from the library).

CrystalBookSnob (crystalbooksunbound) I had a really hard time getting into it at first because it would suddenly to go something she was thinking about without any set up. I sometimes got a little lost and had to re-read a couple paragraphs. But once she met with the sexton I found it very interesting. I also liked the concept of the necklace and the fact that it would warn of her evil. But I hate it when characters put too much blame on themselves. Pierce blamed herself for her friend's suicide and I didn't like that at all. It makes me feel like they think the world revolves around them.

I will most likely read the second book and I'm glad it's only going to be a trilogy because I don't think I can handle another super long series that essentially goes nowhere. Meg Cabot is one of my favorite authors since her Queen of Babel series so I'm always looking forward to what she's going to put out next.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Crystal (Elegantly Bound Books) wrote: "Pierce blamed herself for her friend's suicide and I didn't like that at all. It makes me feel like they think the world revolves around them. "

Feeling responsible for something that you have no control over doesn't mean you feel the world revolves around you. It means you're neurotic.

People who feel the world revolves around them are self-involved and narcissistic and rarely care about how their actions affect others.

Mella (bella_mella) | 7 comments At first, I couldn't get into the book. It was a little blah to me. And Pierce annoyed me to no end! I was pretty much like, "Why are you complaining so much? YOU DIED." [Though now I know the REAL reason...]

But the second half was actually really good. And I wasn't as annoyed with Pierce. I never felt the need to slap her - which was very exciting! I took a break after the first half so I had an open-mind when reading the second half. :)

I'll definitely try the next book when it comes out.

Young Adult Book Reading Challenges

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Abandon (other topics)