Japanese Literature discussion

Archive > After Dark - Haruki Murakami

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hesper (new)

Hesper | 36 comments The side read for July. I'm still waiting for my copy to get here, but the thread is up.

message 2: by Ivana (new)

Ivana | 24 comments Hesper wrote: "The side read for July. I'm still waiting for my copy to get here, but the thread is up."

I hope you 'll enjoy it. I really liked it. Simple and sophisticated at the same time.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments I really enjoyed it, too. I've spent a good deal of time in Tokyo and always felt that it had an extremely subtle eerie-yet-peaceful feeling at night. "After Dark" captures it almost perfectly.

My only complaint, if you can call it that: Now I'm on a quest for other books with similar nocturnal tones. Nothing quite hits the mark, even among Murakami's work!

message 4: by Niledaughter (last edited Jul 04, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Niledaughter | 10 comments That is encouraging , I am planning to start it soon :)

message 5: by Ivana (new)

Ivana | 24 comments Jennifer wrote: "I really enjoyed it, too. I've spent a good deal of time in Tokyo and always felt that it had an extremely subtle eerie-yet-peaceful feeling at night. "After Dark" captures it almost perfectly.

My..."

Yes, nocturnal tones definitely give a certain atmosphere to reading.And music pieces , as you can hear them.

message 6: by John (new)

John | 2 comments Ivana wrote: I hope you 'll enjoy it. I really liked it. Simple and sophisticated at the same time."

That's a perfect description of the work. I loved it too.

message 7: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) "nocturnal tones"... That's an excellent and apt descriptor!

I recently read this and enjoyed it very much. I finally got around to reviewing it today.

my review here on Goodreads

message 8: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 10 comments I just started it , It seems interesting from page 1 and with a different atmosphere than the usual I read for Murakami , but a page turner as usual .

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I just reread After Dark-such a wonderful book. It is very different from other Haruki Murakami books but somehow atmospheric and soothing. A lovely late night read.

Or a sit in the coffee shop/cafe read. At any hour-I've tried it, it works. :)

message 10: by John (last edited Jul 20, 2011 10:15PM) (new)

John | 2 comments So maybe I'm not the only one who, after starting this book, felt the urge to go straight to Denny's, order coffee, and finish the book there? I'm still fighting that urge. Maybe I'll reread it like that on vacation. :)

message 11: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 10 comments I finished the novella , I liked it and still thinking of it . The most interesting items for me , were we experiencing the darkness in one night , or the darkness in our souls ? during that night was there a revile of how we can be living in separate world where we can't hear each other , plainly expressed in the room with (no face man) and where Eri wakes up ?
I loved discussing (Temporality) and memories , I loved this quote describing the new day:

"The old temporality is losing its effectiveness and moving into background. Many people go on mumbling the old words, but in the light of the newly revealed sun, the meaning of words are shifting rapidly.Even supposing that most of the new meanings are temporary tings that will persist only through sundown that day, we will be spending time and moving forward with them "

message 12: by Hesper (new)

Hesper | 36 comments That sounds really good, ND. I wish whoever is holding up my library request for this book would hurry up and return it already! It's been weeks.

message 13: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 10 comments Hesper wrote: "That sounds really good, ND. I wish whoever is holding up my library request for this book would hurry up and return it already! It's been weeks."

Thanks and I would love to read your thoughts about the book and discuss it :)

message 14: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (badiniz) | 1 comments It really has those "nocturnal tones".
After Dark was the first Haruki Murakami book I read, and I completely fell in love with it. Ended up reading Kafka on the Shore after that, and it was a really nice book, but, in fact, it didn't have that something which makes After Dark special.
Sometimes I wish there was a sequence for it, but then I think that, even if the ending isn't that closed, saying one more word would ruin its magic.
(Unfortunately, I have lent my copy to a friend so I can't reread it now. I'm getting envious of everyone on this thread.)

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott I just read this, my first by H. Murakami. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I really liked it even if I can't explain why. Maybe it was that "eerie yet peaceful" feeling, which is one of my favorite feelings.

What do people think of the Eri sequences? Something going on in her head? Pure metaphor?