Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2011-06 THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF SPRING-HEELED JACK: first impressions and roll call (*no spoilers*)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please let us know if you have read, are reading, or are planning to read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder and any initial impressions.

No spoilers in this thread, please!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I plan on reading it, and I've bought it, but I have a few books lined up before I'll get to it.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I've read it!

message 4: by Trinity (new)

Trinity (snappingturtle) | 12 comments I am planning to read it as soon as I can locate a copy. Not on Kindle, 2nd in line at the library... Am hoping to find a copy at the local bookstore.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments I read this a few months ago and will probably chime in.

message 6: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I've had a copy of this book for a while, but never got around to reading it. I'm hoping to get to it this month, but it may not work out due to the pile of books I'm supposed to review this month as well as all the Hugo material I want to read before the voting deadline of July 31st.

message 7: by Richelle (new)

Richelle (richellet) | 9 comments I finished this book last month, and will gladly chime in when things get going!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I read this...didn't really care for it. I don't think I'll reread. I may comment in the completed thread. Not really my...cup of tea. :)

message 9: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I think I'll skip this one.

message 10: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments Im on page 20 and so far so good.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I have seen this book around. Liked the title but never brought myself to pick it up. Looks like I might give it a try. Maybe in a couple of weeks when I wing off to sunny Nevada for 4 days

message 12: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments on page 75 and ive now found myself on google looking more into some of the characters mentioned.

very enjoyable.

message 13: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments I've read it .... and I'm the one that nominated it! I think it is an excellent steampunk novel, and anyone who likes steampunk should give this one a try.

message 14: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Deedee, can I entice you to post some topics for discussion about the book? I won't get around to reading either of our books this month, so it's hard to get the conversation going...

(The same goes for Shades of Grey, by the way, if anyone would like to post some conversation topics or questions...)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Just started this last night, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's a bit darker than I was expecting, but in a good way. I haven't come across many of these kind of books that get away from the manners of society of the time, which makes for an interesting change.

message 16: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments Stefan wrote: "Deedee, can I entice you to post some topics for discussion about the book? I won't get around to reading either of our books this month, so it's hard to get the conversation going...

(The same g..."

I'll try and get some discussion going over in the other thread. The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Burton & Swinburne #1) is like mint chocolate chip ice cream -- people either love it or hate it. All depends on one's attitude towards steampunk, I suppose, although Mark Hodder does tell a good story in between the steampunk tropes.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I'll hopefully be finishing this tonight. Until then I've been avoiding the spoiler thread.

Just wanted to say that it's kind of funny because I neither love nor hate it. Of course, I neither love nor hate mint chocolate chip ice cream, either. I do feel the same way about both of them, though - I could take it or leave it. ;)

message 18: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Deedee wrote: "Stefan wrote: "Deedee, can I entice you to post some topics for discussion about the book? I won't get around to reading either of our books this month, so it's hard to get the conversation going....."

Thanks, Deedee. You can also feel free to start a brand new topic, or more than one even. Just make sure to put a spoiler warning if necessary.