Little Bee Little Bee discussion

Just finished the book… did Charlie get shot? Or what just happened? The ending confused me.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb Just finished the book… did Charlie get shot? Or what just happened? The ending confused me. The soldiers came.. he ran across the sand.. and then Bee was holding him? But then they were soon laughing? Confused! Help! lol

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished it too. I was equally like wtf!?!. Charlie did not get shot. The soldiers shot at him, but they missed. he mad it to where Bee was and the hugged and she calmed him down and they laughed and then he ran off past her to go play with the other kids and then the soldiers went and got her.

Zola I was also confused by the ending.

Jerilyn Lttle Bee nearly gave her life for Charlie. That was terrifying yet healing for her, because of the guilt she felt over his father's suicide. Then she helped Charlie move on by convincing him to take off the Batman costume. Instead of running away and saving herself, she gave herself up willingly for the life of another.

Stanci Jerilyn wrote: "Lttle Bee nearly gave her life for Charlie. That was terrifying yet healing for her, because of the guilt she felt over his father's suicide. Then she helped Charlie move on by convincing him to ..."

Sigh........I wish she wouldn't have done that.

message 6: by Deb (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb Jerilyn, thank you. I guess I kind of understand now, giving that point of view. Maybe my confusion was in how it was explained/written not necessarily the depth and reasoning behind it all.
Stanci, I agree. Hadn’t she given up enough?

message 7: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee I think the author purposely left it vague...honestly, I wasn't a fan of the entire book - I liked Bee, but Sarah pissed me off...Charlie was cute though

message 8: by Deb (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb Dee wrote: "I think the author purposely left it vague...honestly, I wasn't a fan of the entire book - I liked Bee, but Sarah pissed me off...Charlie was cute though"

That sounds like a good discussion! Why did "Sarah piss you off"?

Sarah I wish the ending was a bit more clear as well. We speculated in my book club what would happen to Little Bee; did they kill her? Did she go to prison?

I also agree with Dee - I hated Sarah the entire book. She cheats on her husband. Stays with that loser guy after he dies and isn't really raising her son that well. Overall it was an ok book.

message 10: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee a lot of her actions in general and it began at the very beginning - maybe because of where I work, I know the bad shit that goes on in the Nigeria/Niger Delta area and you couldn't pay me a million bucks to visit there and yet they choose to...so they needlessly put themselves at risk...her affair, the way the book ended - why would you put your son in danger like that...it was just extremely fustrating

Debbie wrote: "Dee wrote: "I think the author purposely left it vague...honestly, I wasn't a fan of the entire book - I liked Bee, but Sarah pissed me off...Charlie was cute though"

That sounds like a good dis..."

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee on that note though - if anyone would like another book set in the region featuring a young protagonist - i'm currently reading Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away about a 12 year old growing up in Nigeria...enjoying it much more than little bee

message 12: by Deb (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb Yes, why would one go to an area that may not be safe on a vacation? That was just insane how when they were on the beach and the guard kept telling them to come on and leave, they ignored him! First of all, if you were on vacation and needed a guard…. Is that really a vacation? And now that you mention Sarah was kind of “out there” shall we say. Why was she in an affair that she seemed to not even know why she was in one? Why did she let him come stay with her right after her husband died even though she knew he was self centered in his actions. Maybe it was a toxic trait she was attracted to, her husband was self centered too. Discuss…discuss…