ONTD Book Club discussion

Series > July - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookbrats) | 125 comments Mod
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

ONTD voted, and here it is! Make sure to read it and discuss it like good little jackals.

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole | 3 comments I just saw the Swedish movie yesterday and started reading today!

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Green | 8 comments I cheated a little and started reading it last week because I had 2 flights and needed to entertain myself. I'm about 25% in right now and I think seeing the Swedish movie months ago helped a lot in the instance. It is a little slow moving right now, but something about knowing that if I push through to the 50% mark it is going to get AWESOME (based on what everyone I know who has read it already told me and knowing that the movie was great so it's in there somewhere-and probably even better) is helping me push along.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlo) | 10 comments I actually read this before it was up for voting. But so excited I'm going to have people to discuss this book with. The first bit of the book, I definitely had to push myself to continue reading. But as Jenna said, once you get 50% in it really picks up and you can't put it down.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (swoomer) | 19 comments I'm glad to hear that it picks up. I read the first chapter months ago and I didn't like it at all...but I'll try to keep an ~open mind~ and get through it.

message 6: by Megan (new)

I had started to read it in paperback a few months ago (had picked it up at Sam's for $4.70 before the craze started really) and got 60 pages in before I just forgot about it. I need to finish this book for my blog first and then do a review for a publisher (seriously, I was contacted to do a review for them out of the blue - super excited, since it's a graphic novel for a PNR series). My dad loves the series, though. I don't know how that should make me feel about reading it.

message 7: by Tea (new)

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments I'm a few chapters in and still not really feeling it...hoping it picks up like everyone says!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlo) | 10 comments It will definitely pick up.

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamzz) This book has been on my list for some time! I even started reading it once before, but got distracted by other books when it didn't pick up yet after I got about 20% in. I'll have to try again!

message 10: by Tea (new)

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments Well, I've just finished. It did pick up for a few chapters, but slowed right back down again. I'm glad it didn't take as long to get through as I expected.

message 11: by Megan (new)

I'll probably end up reading it somewhere closer to the end of this month. I have other stuff needing to be read first sadly.

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Green | 8 comments I just hit the 50% mark on my Kindle and it is definitely starting to pick up. The story is definitely more in the present now than the first half was, which goes a long way towards making it more interesting.

message 13: by moon lit (new)

moon lit I read it last year and enjoyed it. It was a bit predictable in places but good. (The second book was the best in the series imo)

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (victoriancrumpets) | 8 comments I'll be starting to read this book as soon as I finish my book that I'm reading right now. I'm one of those people where I simply cannot read two books at one time.

I've seen the Swedish film numerous times, and tried to read the book last year, but I got busy and I felt it dragged too much, BUT I will read it!!

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlo) | 10 comments luna wrote: "I read it last year and enjoyed it. It was a bit predictable in places but good. (The second book was the best in the series imo)"

I'm starting the 2nd one right now

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (swoomer) | 19 comments Ick. I'm about 28% in and quite honestly, I am not enjoying it. Every once in awhile I get interested in the story, and then there are ridiculous amounts of detail that imo are really unnecessary, and I get bored again. I'm hoping it gets better soon, because I'm already ready to stop. :/

message 17: by Megan (new)

I might just end up watching the movie. I don't know if I have enough time to read it this month, especially considering that I set a deadline for me to start querying for a week from Monday, which means I need to keep making edits like a mad woman.

Is the movie any good?

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlo) | 10 comments I just finished watching the movie, and I must say it does do the book some justice, though the book is still better, as it usually is.

message 19: by Summer (new)

Summer (summer_anne) | 10 comments I just can't get into this book, this is the 3rd time I've tried.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
I cannot get past the first chapter. Zzz.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (swoomer) | 19 comments Just finished it. Thank goodness. It did indeed pick up, but imo that doesn't make up for how slow the first 40% or so was. Yuck. If I ever want to know what happens in the other two books, I'll just read the descriptions on Wikipedia or something.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments So I'm cheating and listening to it on audiobook, since that's the only form my family has it in. I'm on chapter five, and am enjoying it enough, but I hope it picks up soon like everyone else says it does.

message 23: by Tea (new)

Tea (quietcoastline) | 106 comments I tried watching the movie yesterday and couldn't even get into that, haha. I'm a little upset because a friend of mine usually has the exact same taste in books as I do, but she really enjoyed it, too. I feel like I'm missing something, but I also feel better knowing that people here feel close to the same way I do. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who found this one... challenging.

message 24: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamzz) I'm really trying but... I just can't seem to get into this book. So I keep wandering to other books instead. I'm never going to finish this, haha.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 45 comments I've only read about 200 pages, which is roughly a third of the book, and I'm finding it hard to continue. Lisbeth is a Jerk Sue, Blomkvist is a Gary Stu, and there is so much exposition that I would strangle the author if he wasn't already dead.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments So I just finished the book, and I have to say I enjoyed the second half much more than the first. I'll probably read the next too since my family already has them, and I did get into this one quite a bit towards the end.

message 27: by Michelle (last edited Aug 12, 2011 07:24PM) (new)

Michelle | 45 comments I finally finished this book. I hated it, but I slogged all the way through it. The characters were flat (see my last comment in this thread), there was little action, and too much exposition and it was often wasted on information that was not germane to the plot or theme of the novel.

Horrible book, horrible choice.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

This was one of my favorite books ever. I'm surprised so many of you hate it! But don't explain it to me, because I don't want to hate it.