Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Servant of the Empire
Riftwar Saga > Servant of the Empire: The next move - SPOILERS!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments In Daughter of the Empire, Mara established herself as a force to be reckoned with, winning enough support to save her family name from extinction.

But as her security grows, so too, do her enemies - and the next move could make her a target.

Throw in a wild card, unknown circumstance - how are you finding the opening of the next level, as Mara's understanding and commitment deepens within the backdrop of the Game of the Council?

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I finished Chapter 1 and am suspecting that Mara will have difficulties with this attractive barbarian and will find the cultural restrictions very restricting, indeed.

Suzanne | 212 comments I was a little suprised that Mara cited a financial need to buy barbarian vs. regular slaves - because I thought the Acomas were fairly rich (although maybe I missed something). That said, I think the contrast between slavery attitudes will be interesting and I wonder if they will somehow affect future actions in "the Game".

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Janny wrote: "In Daughter of the Empire, Mara established herself as a force to be reckoned with, winning enough support to save her family name from extinction.

But as her security grows, so too, do her enem..."

It seems to me she's already a target! The Minwanabe fat guy is out to get her from the get go.

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I'm read through chapter 8 so far. I think it's interesting that we as the reader in a way are a spy of sorts because we are privy to the Minwanabi plotting. (Unfortunately, Mara isn't listening when I've tried to tell her what's up.) We can see what's been happening on both sides this time.

Mara has definitely made more enemies than friends so far, at least in the different houses. I imagine most of the Houses are waiting to see what will happen to the Acoma's before ther throw their lot in.