"REHAB" discussion

Clubs > Writers' Lounge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I, for one, sometimes hate my characters.
Extremely annoying little beasts.
No, I didn't mean that, I love them. But they could be a little more helpful in telling me how they think, feel, and act.

message 2: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments lol.
i know one thing about most my characters: they are NOT idiots :) lol Zoe :)

is anyone else doing camp nanowrimo this july?

message 3: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid No, I think I'll do it in November. I'm thinking of just doing my own personal little Script Frenzy sometime this summer though.
On the other hand...
I still need to finish one book and edit a different one.

My characters are just too complex for me. They are also slave drivers. They firmly believe in making me work to capture them and write them down.
As a result, I've grown to hate the game hide and seek.

message 4: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Hannah | 3223 comments Mod
Siareen I'm planning on doing Camp Nano. See how it goes.

message 5: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) I couldn't do NaNo last November. I won the year before though. This year, I probably won't do it either. Not enough time.

How long has everyone been writing?
And plot-driven or character driven? Oh darn, we need a poll for that!

My characters are my little puppets--well, my oldest ones are, anyway. They're used to me changing up the story and changing them according to how I want the plot to go. They trust me...I think.

My newer characters are still being broken in and I'm constantly trying to rein them in. XD

I'd miss their voices in my head though, if they ever went away.

message 6: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

By Winning do you mean finishing it?

How long has everyone been writing? Uh....for a long time.

I think I've had both kinds of writing. Both Plot and Character.

Haha nice

message 7: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Yes, NaNoWriMo is kind of like a contest and you win by finishing the quota of 50,000 words (Or whatever you set your goal to be.)

I've been writing since I could make words. I've never been good at writing, but I've always been doing it.

Puppets? *Sighs* I wish my characters were like that. Instead, they are like bosses. They are constantly messing up my plans. Of course, one or two stories were mostly plot developed, but the one I write the most is mostly character.

message 8: by Jadi Cedonia (last edited Jul 01, 2011 07:57PM) (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) I can't do character-driven. I always lose my way if I do character driven. I do plot.

I've been writing as a obsession--er, hobby since 05. I wrote stories before then, but didn't get that I liked it until 05.

message 9: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Well, it isn't just character driven. I have a basic plot and I know where I want to end up and where I begin and certain milestones. My characters just sometimes twist the events in between, changing my ideas.

Heh, obsession indeed.

message 10: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

I usually have a plot dirven. But then my charries will stand up and I'll have to go with what they want. You know so I think they are usually sometimes Character driven. So a mixture

message 11: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Both ways have their flaws.

Character-driven: weak plot.

Plot-driven: weak characters.

I love when things make sense!

Anyway, getting back on topic, finding that middle ground is really hard.

There's a bit of a misonception that female writers tend to go towards character-driven, and male writers tend to favor plot-driven.

Due to this, I've been mistaken for a boy several times. And an ambiguous name doesn't help matters. XD

message 12: by Ingrid (last edited Jul 02, 2011 07:17PM) (new)

Ingrid I do kind of a mixture. I mean, my plot is pretty elaborate and things work, but the characters just change the way things might happen or might decide to add something I hadn't originally intended.
Like how Eric went insane. That was all due to him telling me what to do.
Or how Jane poisoned Isi. That was her idea too. I just decided my characters were smart and I would do well to listen to their advice :D

One thing I have issues with is writing boys. I'm a girl and tend to have a girlish outlook on things so I need to try and make my male characters believable. To sound like males and to have boyish thinking processes. It is amazing how much time I've spent observing my brothers and brother-in-law.

message 13: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) You just watch them, or do you ask them questions?

I remember asking guy friends what they thought on a particular matter. It was kind of awkward the first few times, but after that, they got used to me asking questions and I grew comfortable asking them.

Plenty of women writers write male characters pretty well(so we think, can we really know what goes on in their heads?).

message 14: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I ask a few questions.
They definitely have a different thought process.

Some women write them well, but I've read far too many where they seem like a woman's ideal of what man could or should be. I want to write them as they are, or at least as close to accurate as I can get.

message 15: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) I highly doubt any two women have the same exact thought process, let alone two men. The thought processes are just similar.

Okay, we really need some guys in the writer's lounge.

message 16: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I didn't put that well.
Everyone has a different thought process. We are all unique.
I'm just saying that the hormones in men and women are different, and women share some certain ways of thinking were as men share some other ways of thinking.

message 17: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Exactly.

Diabolical Daemonic   (DemonicAngel) | 10 comments o.e

I've never understood how people always need to lay down their plans and have to know where every single detail of their characters and plot before they write. I let my characters do the talking, thinking, and actions and let the plot sort itself out. And I've never gone wrong yet. So I guess that means my writing character driven?

message 19: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Yup. Pretty much. Do you read a lot of character driven?

Diabolical Daemonic   (DemonicAngel) | 10 comments I'm not really sure, I don't really notice much, but I don't think so...

message 21: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Oh well...

So, anybody here published? Or attempted to get published? Or self-published?

message 22: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Not yet.
I'm only fourteen and I'm stilling editing and writing and editing and writing.
Maybe someday.
Someday... *Zones out*

message 23: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) I'm 18, got 4 rejection letters for short stories.

Some magazines want teen writers. Same with writing contests. It'll look good on a cover letter later too.

As far as my book(s), I'm hoping one of them will be ready soon. For now, I'm trying to get short stories published.

message 24: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I haven't written many short stories and the ones I have are in desperate need of revision.
At the moment, there is one story that is always in my head. It is a story that I'm writing with my closest friend.
We'll be writing it til we're fifty, I'm sure.

message 25: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Don't talk like that. Words have power, so don't curse yourself.

What about nonfiction? Essays, articles, etc?

message 26: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I was cursing myself?
If you mean about the til we're fifty thing, I mean because that story always has the tendency to get bigger and bigger. I'm certain it'll become series. It just isn't resolving itself. Writing til we're fifty isn't a bad thing at all!

I've written a few essays, reviews, etc... Mostly for school.
I was going to enter some poetry into a contest for a magazine, but my mom told me the wrong date and I missed the deadline.

message 27: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) that stinks.

No, it's just like "be careful what you say" or "knock wood"

You know, like when people say things can't get worse, but then they do? Like that.

message 28: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Ah, yes, my piano teacher has told me things about that. Like, once she said that something made her sick and then she saw that item and she got physically sick.

message 29: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments ive never really finished anything to get published. i started a short story and a bunch of novels, but they are all a work in progress

message 30: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Did y'all ever worry that's y'all'd run out of ideas to write about?

I used to.

Also, have y'all read any writing books? And did they help?

Some I've read did, others didn't. On Writing by Stephen King didn't exactly help, but it was a pretty awesome read. Just a lot a lot of language.

message 31: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments nope. ideas keep on coming. its impossible to run out of ideas :)

nope. ive read a few tips on line but nothing more. they were basically stuff i already knew or could guess...

one tip i learnt from experiance- taking a bathroom brake in the middle of writing is a very good idea. bathrooms are usually the place where you get the best brainwaves. funny but true :)

message 32: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Yup. I have to agree on the advice and the bathroom. LOL.

message 33: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I think coffee is the best help, personally, either that or cheerios. Or both.

One book that I loved was called Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly by Gail Carson Levine. Not particularly helpful, but still, really, really, good.

message 34: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 900 comments Siareen wrote: "lol.
i know one thing about most my characters: they are NOT idiots :) lol Zoe :)

is anyone else doing camp nanowrimo this july?"

lol siareen. and i am!!!

message 35: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 900 comments im stuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. my book is driving me crazy!!!! im doing campnanowrimmo and i cant continue in my plot because im scared that if i do it wont be long enough and i wont have enough words to reach 500000. so i dont know what to do!!!!

message 36: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Oh no Zoe! We need to solve this. Just be as wordy as possible. :D LOL And I don't think you should be afraid. Just keep writing. Pout it out. You'll think of things to add to it along the way.

message 37: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 900 comments but im scared ill finish my plot to quickly!!!! im at 14009 words right now. i want to write another 1000 words tonight. blah!!! i need something to happen!!!!

message 38: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Just pick a really random thing. Or just start writing and see what comes to you. Good job I have lots to go. I'm gonna work on it today.

message 39: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 900 comments uch. its so annoying. i have the whole plot mapped out but im like already a third through it, maybe more. its really not good! i should really be writing....

message 40: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

I know what you mean. I hafta go for an hour or so. I shall return

message 41: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

good luck!

message 42: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 900 comments thanks. you too.

message 43: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Good luck on y'alls NaNos. And if you're stuck, think of something else horrible to do to your character.

Make them dye their hair atomic pink. Or green.

Kill their parents (if you haven't already)

Kill the love interest?

Somebody needs to attempt to kill the protagonist

Oh, and when in doubt, check a cliche list for your genre, and use one.

message 44: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments im doing it too :)
im really behind though, seeing as i will be away for the last week of july and i wont have time to write then... :(
still, the story is coming on pretty good seeing as i started with virtually nothing

message 45: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) What genre is it?

message 46: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments fantasy, but not heavy fantasy.
its hard to explain. its not in this world, but its not dragons popping out everywhere and stuff like that. theres something thats kinda magic, but even that isnt really magic magic.
does that make any sense?

message 47: by Jadi Cedonia (last edited Jul 06, 2011 07:56AM) (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) Yup.

Not in this world = high fantasy.

Low fantasy takes place in this world. Like historical or urban fantasy.

It's "magic" in our sense, but perhaps not in their world? Yes, it makes sense.

My writing is somewhat similar. Except I do write dragons. I don't want my characters to have to deal with horses (mainly because I know very little about them, and even then, I'm not comfortable writing about something I have very real-world experience with). Mercenary dragon transportation works for me--and makes the traveling faster, obviously.

message 48: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments no, not exactly like that.
its not heavy fantasy though. not how i see it at least.
its not 'sparks flying, people flying, mages and wizards' kinda magic.
basically, some people have 'Talents', which basically they are very very very very good at doing something specific.
the Talents and more like 'stealth' or 'code breaking' or 'weaving'.
there are a few more magical-ish ones, like an eye that lights up gold whenever it sees someone Talented, or someone who can see what you really think and feel when she looks into your eyes. but there arent any Talents like 'flying' or 'throwing balls of fire' or stuff like that. its more natural things that are slightly supernatural...
heres the Camp Nanowrimo sight for it if you want to read the synopsis and the expert i put up :)

http://www.campnanowrimo.org/campers/...

message 49: by Jadi Cedonia (last edited Jul 06, 2011 08:05AM) (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) No such thing as heavy fantasy. Light fantasy, perhaps, not not heavy. If it's heavy, the correct term would be epic. :D

What you're working on probably wouldn;t be considered light fantasy, either. But I did get your point the first time.

Light fantasy is often low fantasy. What you're working on would still be considered high fantasy.

message 50: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments well im not really familiar with the terms.
i dont really mind though. i like reading high fantasy anyways :)
what do you write?

« previous 1