Oprah's Book Club at Goodreads discussion

Book Discussions > The Poisonwood Bible

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 218 comments Mod
Post your thoughts on the Poisonwood Bible here!

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I am so looking forward to this.

Will there be a schedule or just read at your pace?

message 3: by Jessica (new)

We'll just be reading it for the month of July at your own pace. Put spoiler warnings on your comments (if they need it) so that people behind you won't find out what happens later on.

I tried to read this book in high school, but I just couldn't get through it. I'm excited to read it now!

message 4: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Jessica wrote: "We'll just be reading it for the month of July at your own pace. Put spoiler warnings on your comments (if they need it) so that people behind you won't find out what happens later on.

I tried to..."

Thanks for update.

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I read this about 3 months ago and really liked it.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 66 comments I read the book years ago when it first came out. I loved the way she wrote in various peoples' voices. One of them was humorous for comic relief. The others also showed various points of view. I thought it was very well written.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Intriago | 12 comments I read this book a couple of years ago after it was recommended by a co-worker. I thought it was very good. It was the first Barbara Kingsolver book I read.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 66 comments Her other books were even better - Animal Dreams and Pigs in Heaven. I recommend them.

message 9: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Intriago | 12 comments Thanks for telling me about those two. I have not read them. I have read Prodigal Summer and The Bean Trees and liked them both.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 2 comments I read this years ago but absolutely loved it. I loved her language expression and it was also a very good story.

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I thought the daughters's expressions were true to their ages.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

I just started reading this yesterday. Man, it's a huge book. I hope I can finish it before the end of the month.

message 13: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Yes, it is on the largish size, but worth it I think.

message 14: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I was not as satisfied as I thought I would be.

Unfortunately, many wives of religious men have no idea what they are signing up for.

message 15: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Shirley, I've not read anything on the subject of missionary families before, so found the whole family function(or lack of)interesting.

Just noticed The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver at local library. Any thoughts on that one?

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Lesley wrote: "Shirley, I've not read anything on the subject of missionary families before, so found the whole family function(or lack of)interesting.

Just noticed The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver at local li..."

I guess I expected more because it had such high ratings.

I have not added Lacuna to my library yet. Sorry :(

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 66 comments I tried reading Lacuna twice and both times I couldn't get past about page 40. And I loved all her other books.

message 18: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Intriago | 12 comments I also have Lacuna sitting on my bookshelf but have not attempted it yet.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole PB was a required reading for one of my college courses. I enjoyed it as well. Thought it was very well written and a very interesting topic.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lacuna (other topics)