We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

WLLK Buddy Reads > Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Lisa Kay and I discussed doing a buddy read for Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole .

If you are interested, please feel free to join us.

Lisa, I will probably start this book in the next few days or a week or so.

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:41AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Great, Lady Danielle! I'm ready! I'm excited. I’m a sports car all revved up and raring to go -- only I'm on a garage lift ten feet in the air, LOL! Looking forward to others joining us too. :)

When Funmi Met Romance (whenfunmimetromance) | 26 comments Im interested, I've already read this, but could i read it again and still join?

message 4: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Wonderful, Tay!

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I think I might start it this weekend.

message 6: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments How many chapters a day? Are we posting questions?

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jul 08, 2011 06:20AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments TBH Lisa, I'm not much of a regimented reader. I will probably read as much as I can this weekend, but we can set the discussion up by chapters if you prefer. I'm squeezing this one in for pleasure around my 'assigned reading' aka review reads. :)

I like the idea of posting questions too.

Any thoughts, Taiyesha?

When Funmi Met Romance (whenfunmimetromance) | 26 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "TBH Lisa, I'm not much of a regimented reader. I will probably read as much as I can this weekend, but we can set the discussion up by chapters if you prefer. I'm squeezing this one in for pleasur..."

I have never done a buddy read before so I am a proponent for however structure fits well with everyone. I'm not a very structured reader naturally, however, I can easily be one if that is how this buddy read goes :) In the end, i just wanna reread this awesome book and talk about it haha :)

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments How about we post questions by Chapters, but the readers can do at any pace they like?

message 10: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Oh, I like that idea!

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Should I come up with some general questions to get us started?

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Sure, Lady D.! That would be great. I've read the first three chapters. (I started last night b/c I don't read as fast as you do.) :)

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments How about I post general questions, and you do the first three chapters questions?

message 14: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Good for me! Let me go downstairs and grab my book. :)

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jul 09, 2011 08:49AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Book Blurb:

From New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole comes this scorching tale of a demon outcast poisoned with vampire blood and the vulnerable young witch he vows to protect—even from himself.

A DANGEROUS DEMON SHE CAN’T RESIST . . .

Malkom Slaine: tormented by his sordid past and racked by vampiric hungers, he’s pushed to the brink by the green-eyed beauty under his guard.

A MADDENING WITCH HE ACHES TO CLAIM . . .

Carrow Graie: hiding her own sorrows, she lives only for the next party or prank. Until she meets a tortured warrior worth saving.

TRAPPED TOGETHER IN A SAVAGE PRISON . . .

In order for Malkom and Carrow to survive, he must unleash both the demon and vampire inside him. When Malkom becomes the nightmare his own people feared, will he lose the woman he craves body and soul?

General Questions to Get Us Started:

1. Prior to starting this book, what were you thoughts on Carrow from the other books? Are you excited to read her story?

2. What about Malkom? Do you think you'll like him as a hero? Why?

3. How do you think this book will progress the overlying storyline for the IAD series?

4. Any hopes for a particular character to make an appearance?

5. Does the book blurb make you excited to dive into reading? Why or Why not?

When Funmi Met Romance (whenfunmimetromance) | 26 comments this sounds good!

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 1 – 3

6. Another angst ridden immortal hero as only Ms. Cole can write him. Do you think that Malkom Slaine was also sexually abused as a child by his vampire master? Do you think he is still, technically, a “virgin hero”?

7. Were you surprised Malkom killed his best friend, Prince Kallen, or did you think he would somehow get them both out of that subterranean hell hole?

8. Sounds like Malkom still has a score to settle with the traitor, Ronath the Armorer. Any thoughts on why he hasn’t done so these past several centuries?

9. Am I the only one, beside Melanthe, who is worried about Carrow Graie’s maternal instincts?

10. It seems like more and more kids are hanging out in gangs now days, if for nothing else other than safety in numbers. Impressions on Ruby and her gang?

11. Okay, I’m REALLY worried about this island prison they are sequestered on. Sounds pretty secure. Any ideas on how they’ll escape?

12. Obviously you like Ms. Cole’s sense of humor or you wouldn’t be on book #10 in this series. Is it still working for you? What is your favorite quote so far?

message 18: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 09, 2011 11:52AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments My Answers to Lady D’s General Questions to Get Us Started:

1. Prior to starting this book, what were you thoughts on Carrow from the other books? Are you excited to read her story?
What I remember most about Carrow is that she was a big nightclub groupie. I thought she had been napped outside on a New Orleans nightclub, but now it seems as if I was mistaken, so I’m not sure I have her pictured right in my mind.

2. What about Malkom? Do you think you like him as a hero? Why?
Hummm… Good question. Don’t know much about him yet, but he is obviously pretty good at pulling himself up by his bootstraps, resisting the temptation of loose women, not on a power trip, a bit of a “lone wolf” – if you can call a vemon that and get away with it.

3. How do you think this book will progress the overlying storyline for the IAD series?
I know one of the characters I really despise is going to be the hero in an upcoming book, and I’m wondering how KC is going to pull this off. I’m doing okay with the time line though, I think, LOL!

I was already happy to see Uilleam MacRieve, a character I’m very interested in, make an appearance. And Melanthe, Queen of Persuasion, b/c I liked her in Kiss of a Demon King. Love Emma; wouldn’t mind seeing her again.

Definitely! Love a hero trying to resist his attraction to the heroine – but still “in pursuit” as Lady puts it. :)

message 19: by When Funmi Met Romance (last edited Jul 09, 2011 10:15AM) (new)

When Funmi Met Romance (whenfunmimetromance) | 26 comments Lisa Kay wrote: " My Answers to Lady D’s General Questions to Get Us Started:

What I re..."

Who do you despise Lisa?

My answers to the Pre-Reading Questions :)

1. Prior to Starting This book, What were your thoughts on Carrow from the other books> are you exctied to read her story? I read this books out of order, so I did not have a good view of her. The first time I ran across her was in Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole When Demon King Rydstrom, goes back to his house. Nix is having a party and Carrow saddles past him topless runs her finger across chest and says something like "Hey there , remember me, I'm carrow" his mate is right next to them. At that moment, I thought her a pretty slutty lore piece. Of course I'm excited its a KC story, however, i really like the idea of both of them needing saving. Its a deep concept.

2. What about Malkom? Do you think you like him as a hero?Why? Yes. I love the idea of him being a hybrid of two different species. I love hyrbid concepts, and if the Ascension were not so busy taking place, all of my favorite couples could have cute and dangerous little hybrid babies with awesome powers and good looks haha. I like the idea of him having a crazy amount of power that he needs to learn how to control in order to be with his mate. I love dark horses and underdogs, Malkom isn't accepted by anyone and i cant even begin to think where his allies would lie as he has two opposing forces residing within him. He's a big underdog and therefore, my type of guy :)
3. How do you think this book will progress the overlying storyline for the IAD series? hmmm, i cant answer this one. I've already read this and before hand i had no clue because i read out of order. So uhh yeah :P

4.Any hopes for a particular character to make an appearance Lothaire and Nix. they always appear, they are so elusive with not a hint of romance surrounding them. Im curious to learn more ;)

5.Does the book blurb make you excited to dive into reading? Why or Why not? Oh yes! I love when a hero and heroine need to overcome more than just the outside factors to be together. They both have to overcome their insecurities and problems. KC's writing gets better and better with each novel. So I know , this will be a good one. Actually, I already know it is haha :)

message 20: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷTai•ye•shaƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ wrote: "Who do you despise Lisa?"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments My responses to Tay's answers 1-5.

#1. - "...saddles past him topless runs her finger across chest..."
It does sounds a little too slutty for me also!

#2. - "I love the idea of him being a hybrid of two different species..."
Ditto!

"could have cute and dangerous little hybrid babies with awesome powers and good looks..."
LOL! That darn Ascension!

#4. - Love Nix too. :)

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments General Questions to Get Us Started:

Ans: I wasn't crazy about her in Dark Desires After Dusk, but I liked what I saw of her in Pleasure of a Dark Prince. I had heard this was good, so I'm keeping an open mind going into it.

2. What about Malkom? Do you think you'll like him as a hero? Why?
Ans: I love a tortured hero, especially a warrior type hero. I'm prepared to like him.

Ans: I think it will tie into the fact that some of the Loreans were kidnapped in Pleasure of a Dark Prince, and build up the story to create another foe, since the vamps, lykae, some of the demons, and valkyrie are forming alliances.

Ans: I always keep my hopes up that I will see some old, adored faces.

Ans: The blurb sounds awesome. This seems like my kind of read.

When Funmi Met Romance (whenfunmimetromance) | 26 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "General Questions to Get Us Started:

Ans: I wasn't crazy about her in Dar..."

I must say, this book does a GREAT job of giving a lot to the continuing IAD story line. A lot goes on around this couple. Its one reason I'm actually reading it again because I know i missed some stuff trying to hang on to the romance haha
Lisa Kay wrote: "My responses to Tay's answers 1-5.

#1. - "...saddles past him topless runs her finger across chest..."
It does sounds a little too slutty for me also!

#2. - "I love the idea of him being a hybrid..."

Nix is sooo awesome. People says she's flighty yet she is always one step ahead of everyone. :)

I hear that so many people like Uille

message 24: by SmittenKitten (last edited Jul 10, 2011 09:07PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 61 comments I started this one on Friday and finished it today (just found about this buddy read thanks to Lisa Kay!). I loved it.. I'd rank it my 3rd favorite of the series (with #1. Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night and #2. A Hunger Like No Other). Here my answers to all the questions so far:

1. Carrow hasn’t been that memorable for me other than when she’s at the pool party at Rydstrom’s mansion. Plus, I’m not really into the whole party girl thing… so I wasn’t interested in her story.

2. I was VERY excited about Malkom just because he’s a vemon and they are considered bad/evil in the other books.

3. I had no idea… not sure where the whole story is going.. other than I’m guessing it will end with Nix’s story?

4. Yes, I wanted to know more about Lanthe and Thronos… I’ve been really anticipating their story.

5. Sort of… the fact the Malkom is a vemon is what really made me want to read this one.

6. When at I was at an early point in the story, I could tell there had to be some sexual abuse going on with the vampire, but I was not sure about him being a virgin.

7. Nope, Kallen had to die. I thought that part of the story line was perfect – and helped justify Malkom’s issues.

8. No, it didn’t really make sense to me… I guess he was trying to get Ronath to come to him by withholding the water… but I felt like Malkom should have just gone aggressively after Ronath rather than waiting for him to make the first move.

9. LOL!! I was worried too, but she seems to mature throughout the book.

10. I imagined Ruby’s gang like a bunch of hellion baby witches running around, pretty scary but overall harmless… they’re just a gang of friends… but I certainly wouldn’t want to have to babysit them. :D

11. No ideas… and now that I’ve read it and seen how they actually escape, I was still a little confused. I started reading Dreams of a Dark Warrior in hopes of uncovering more of how prisoners were about to break out.

12. Kresley Cole made a reference to Members Only jackets that had me snickering.

When Funmi Met Romance (whenfunmimetromance) | 26 comments 6. Another angst ridden immortal hero as only Ms. Cole can write him. Do you think that Malkom Slaine was also sexually abused as a child by his vampire master? Do you think he is still, technically, a “virgin hero”?

I do think he was sexually abused. I believe Kresley takes her tortured heroes very seriously.
His first betrayal had been dealt by his own mother. At six years of age, he'd complained of hunger so acute he'd nearly blacked out. She'd railed that he was never
satisfied, then sold him to a vampire who would feed him all he wanted if he was an "obedient and affectionate" boy.
The use of the italic word affectionate was definitely not to be overlooked. Not to mention, as shown in the book, vampires enjoy drinking especially during the throws of passion so I do believe that he was abused unfortunately. I still consider him a virgin hero. I believe that the word virgin is more than physical sex. Until he has consensual sex, He's a virgin, at least for moi.

7. Were you surprised Malkom killed his best friend, Prince Kallen, or did you think he would somehow get them both out of that subterranean hell hole?
I honestly thought they were both going to break free! I was so surprised when we found out one was going to have to kill the other. I was deeply hurt by Kallen's decision to kill Malkom. It was the way he went about it. He asked for an embrace. that sounds so shady, why not be upfront and honest with him? That must have really hurt Malkom. I loved how Kresley wrote the scene. In psychology, I learned that children who get through tough times are coined as Resilient by doctors. In order to be Resilient who you have to have a big will to survive. I loved Malkom's instincts of self-preservation.

8. Sounds like Malkom still has a score to settle with the traitor, Ronath the Armorer. Any thoughts on why he hasn’t done so these past several centuries?

Well it said that Malkom couldn't reach them because of the vast amount of uncovered land privy to sunlight. However, I would imagine he spent a lot of time getting used to his body and mentally healing up the best he could. He killed the one person who found worth in him. His goal in life was to be accepted and all that was stripped from him. The vamps wont accept him nor will his on people the demons. I imagine a couple hundred years of licking one's wounds was needed

9. Am I the only one, beside Melanthe, who is worried about Carrow Graie’s maternal instincts?
No. Carrow is a loose cannon. However, I will say that she has had no chance to prove herself. When has she been handed a task of worth beyond fighting? I will give her a chance. Her past is the culmination of a bad childhood. Carrow is inherently good and would never want to give the child a bad childhood. I think there will be lots of problems, but there is hope for this hellion.

10. It seems like more and more kids are hanging out in gangs now days, if for nothing else other than safety in numbers. Impressions on Ruby and her gang?
That remind me of the little rascals or something out of a cute little Disney movie. The way the lore works is so different than how it is with humans. Its like every species is a big Fraternity or Sorority. So I don't take the gang too seriously. I have a soft spot for kids in Romance Novels :)

11. Okay, I’m REALLY worried about this island prison they are sequestered on. Sounds pretty secure. Any ideas on how they’ll escape?

Nope, all i can think of is that there is no way its happening from the inside.If only Mariketa could scry their or Nix could figure it out, maybe she can't because there is a valkyerie ( i might of spelled that wrong) death possibility.

12. Obviously you like Ms. Cole’s sense of humor or you wouldn’t be on book #10 in this series. Is it still working for you? What is your favorite quote so far? I love her sense of humor. I Never fail to have a good laugh in any of her books. My family is used to seeing me laugh randomly, they just look at the book cover and see a "hot guy" with a title with the word "dark" somewhere and they know, its another KC book.
Lets put the fun back in funeral! That was hilarious.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I finished this last night, and loved it. I will post answers to Lisa's questions when I get a chance, and add some more. If you want to post questions, Taiyesha or Smitten Kitten, knock yourselves out!

message 27: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Such great answers! I love it! :) Maybe me happy and, like Carrow, gives me more power. I should finish up with this book this morning.

Thanks for joining us SmittenKitten!

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Okay, this is the first chance I've gotten to get back over here. Really busy week!

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 1 – 3

6. Another angst ridden immortal hero as only Ms. Cole can write him. Do you think that Malkom Slaine was also sexually abused as a child by his vampire master? Do you think he is still, technically, a “virgin hero”?

Ans: He was definitely sexually abused by his master and the fiend shared him with his friends. I think he's a virgin in the sense he was never with a woman, and never had a consensual relationship.

Ans: I was a bit surprised, but I don't blame him. He had learned the hard way that the only way to protect himself was to be agressive and violent. Kallen showed he didn't really respect Malkom enough to stop himself from feeding on him. It betrayed Malkom to the degree that he didn't believe he was truly an equal or friend to the prince anymore.

Ans: I think that he just never got the chance to do so. I'm sure that between his service of the Prince and trying to stay alive, it just wasn't at the top of his list of priorities.

Ans: I'm not worried. I think she needed to have a reason to be responsible. She never had that before. From the time she found out about Ruby, she's shown that she'll be a good mom, although she'll always be Carrow.

Ans: I would be afraid, very afraid to be around little, wild witches in training. Scary thought!

Ans: I have no idea how they will get off, unless some of the Loreans are able to open portals, or trace, but then they have to have their torcs inactivated.

12. Obviously you like Ms. Cole’s sense of humor or you wouldn’t be on book #10 in this series. Is it still working for you? What is your favorite quote so far?

Ans: I love KC's humor. I am horrible at remember quotes, but I thought the catfight between Carrow and Sabine was pretty darn funny!