Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
This topic is about Abandon
Abandon discussions > John Hayden and the romantic aspect of the "Abandon"

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) What about John? Did he work for you as a new version of Hades?

(BTW, here are some links about Hades:

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Haides...

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/gr...)

What did you think about the romance between John and Pierce? Did you like their relationship dynamic? Did you believe in their love?

StefanieEmmy | 2 comments For me John Hayden absolutely worked as a new version of Hades. Till the very end I didn't know what his true intensions were - and I still don't. He's kind of blury, not very clear, untouchable. I liked that. It's not like in all those other YA-novels - John is everything but boring.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jul 01, 2011 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I too thought John was the most interesting character. Maybe because he is so secretive. But if were Pierce I would demand some answers. I don't like when someone shirts around telling me the facts. I mean why didn't he just tell Pierce when her saw her the second time with the necklace what it was all about. Also, didn't it seem like Mr. Mullens (I think that was his name) was killed? Or was my mind making the story bigger then it was. I thought it was hinted to that and that maybe we would find out more about that in the next book?? ? ?? ? ?

This book leaves us so many questions about John. Maybe too many? How did he die? Why did he get the job of the immortal underworld guard? where did he get the necklace?

As far as the romance I thought it was a little too fast. I mean BOOM at the last two chapters they were in love and kissing! When throughout the rest of the book Pierce was running and hiding from John!

My favorite Hades of all time is the Disney Hades!! Love him!

The Shining

StefanieEmmy | 2 comments I agree, maybe everything was too fast at the end. But this just leaves me craving for the second book :D

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) John Hayden was possibly the worst part of the book. He's so one dimensional. I mean, he's a bad-boy with a mysterious past who wears all black. And his name is John. John? Really? Can't he be Jonathan at least? Or James or even, gasp, Edward?

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) Honestly, I thought it was strange how John met Pierce when she was 7 and then totally fell in love with her when she was 15. We never really learn why he's so in love with her either. I'm hoping Cabot will elaborate some more in Underworld about John's motives and his reasons for choosing Pierce. Also, I'd love to know why John was chosen to run the underworld and what makes the Furies want to hurt him so badly.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "Honestly, I thought it was strange how John met Pierce when she was 7 and then totally fell in love with her when she was 15. We never really learn why he's so in love with her either. I'm hoping C..."

You are right... isn't that like Star Wars all over again. Aniken is a kid and falls in love with Padme! (however you spell their names)

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) Someone mentioned to me that John falls in love with Pierce's soul. As in he recognizes her soul as his match, but I don't really understand the idea yet.

Megan Mweemba (meganlovesbooks) I like him. Just a gut instinct. I think we'll learn a lot more about him in the second book, which will be really cool. :)