Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Christian Fiction Group Reads > Nominate August's Group Read ***Nominations Closed!***

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane U (last edited Jul 08, 2011 08:09AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments It's time to start nominations for August's Christian Fiction group read. I used the list of categories from the Theme thread and using Random.org, it selected:

Heartsong Presents

Rules:
1. Nominations are open until the 14th of the month. Rachel will let us know which book has "won" on the 15th.
2. Books must be Christian fiction, or "clean" fiction to be eligible for this read.
3. Books are chosen using Random.org to make it completely fair.
3. One nomination per person.

Nominations so far:

1. A Merry Heart by Wanda E. Brunstetter (Diane)
2. Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter (Lorie)
3. Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter (Kristy)
4. Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter (Barbara Ann)
5. Escape to Sanctuary by M.J. Conner (Rachel)
6. A Merry Heart by Wanda E. Brunstetter (Victoria)

message 2: by Diane U (last edited Jul 01, 2011 05:50AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Okay, I have never read anything from this group of books. Unfortunately, they are NOT available for the kindle. Boohoo! So I did some homework on Amazon and I decided on this:

Where the Truth Lies by Elizabeth Ludwig

message 3: by Lorie (last edited Jul 01, 2011 07:56AM) (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
There are several Heartsong presents on the Heartsong presents website that I found that are Amish but they are out of print although they were reprinted in a series? Can we use that one, since it was a Heart Song Presents?

Wanda BrunstetterGoing Home
This was Heartsong #610

And since they were reprinted, they are on the Kindle. I've never read any of these Heartsong Presents either.

message 4: by Lorie (new)

There are actually several Wanda Brunstetter books that were Heatsong Present books that have been reprinted.
http://www.heartsongpresents.com/book...

message 5: by Lorie (new)

Tina wrote: "I would like to nominate:

"Beside Still Waters" by Tricia Goyer"

There is a Beside Still Waters HeartSong but it has a different author or am I missing something?

message 6: by Diane U (last edited Jul 01, 2011 08:13AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Lorie wrote: "There are several Heartsong presents on the Heartsong presents website that I found that are Amish but they are out of print although they were reprinted in a series? Can we use that one, since it ..."

OMG, it is a Heartsong Presents! Cool! I may have to look into this more when I have more time and change my nomination!

message 7: by Diane U (last edited Jul 01, 2011 09:46AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Tina wrote: "I would like to nominate:

"Beside Still Waters" by Tricia Goyer"

Tricia Goyer is not listed as a Heartsong Presents author. Check the link that Lorie posted in message #9 for other ideas.

message 8: by Lorie (last edited Jul 01, 2011 09:02AM) (new)

This is actually a better link for the Heartsong books all 958 books in the collection. That one was only Wanda Brunstetter books.
http://www.heartsongpresents.com/the-...

message 9: by Lorie (new)

Actually looking through that list several of these have been reprinted by the authors and I found a few others on Kindle too.

message 10: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I am going to nominate Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter since I have this one and it's a reprint one.

message 11: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments The nice thing about Heartsong Presents is they have some of the Heartsong Mysteries which are also Heartsong Presents, so we have a wide selection of choices from each though we have tons more from the Romance selection.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1460 comments Mod
I'm with Kristy, and want to nominate Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter. I have it on my to-read list. It's a series about the area where my hubby grew up.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I've only read one Heartsong Presents book before, and like the others it was a Brunstetter novel! The reprints by Barbour are slightly extended from the Heartsong originals, I think. But anyway, my mum's friend gave me a few HP books a while back so I'm going to nominate one of those.

Escape to Sanctuary by M.J. Conner

message 14: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Christner | 6 comments Diane U wrote: "Lorie wrote: "There are several Heartsong presents on the Heartsong presents website that I found that are Amish but they are out of print although they were reprinted in a series? Can we use that ..."

Hi readers,
I have some out of print Heartsongs that are available through amazon.com's used store contacts. If you're interested, you can plug in my name...Dianne Christner. I think its awesome that you are choosing a Heartsong.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Thanks for the info, Dianne! It looks like a lot of the older books are available used online for good prices. Am I right in thinking that you used to write for Heartsong?

message 16: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Christner | 6 comments Yes.

message 17: by Diane U (last edited Jul 07, 2011 06:46AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I am changing my nomination to:

A Merry Heart by Wanda E. Brunstetter

It is Heartsong Presents #253 and it is available for the kindle too!

message 18: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) I'm going to second the vote for A Merry Heart by Wanda Brunstetter. I've already read Going Home, and really wanted to read A Merry Heart!

message 19: by Diane U (last edited Jul 07, 2011 12:32PM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Silly question:

If someone seconds a vote on a book that is already nominated, should we list that book twice so it has two chances at winning versus one???? Hmmmm!

I'm just wondering since there are two books this month with second votes! Any thoughts?!? They could just be listed in the order the nomination was received just like any other nominations.

message 20: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) I'm going to say that books with double nominations should be listed twice. I think that anyone that seconds a nomination wishes it to have more than one chance at winning the poll. Doing the order in which the nomination was received would be a fair way to handle the situation.

message 21: by Barbara (last edited Jul 07, 2011 12:43PM) (new)

Diane U wrote: "Silly question: If someone seconds a vote on a book that is already nominated, should we list that book twice so it has two chances at winning versus one???? Hmmmm!"

I think the second listing would be appropriate. If they were unseen slips being drawn from a hat they would each have their own chance. But that's just me.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Barbara Ann wrote: "Diane U wrote: "Silly question: If someone seconds a vote on a book that is already nominated, should we list that book twice so it has two chances at winning versus one???? Hmmmm!"

I think the s..."

Diane, I'm all for giving each vote an equal chance, so if there are two nominations for the same book we should count it twice when the votes are being randomised. Same goes for the nominations for the Amish group read.

I imagine all of us would agree? I know we've not done this up until now, but to be honest, it makes more sense to give each individual vote the same chance.

message 23: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Okay, I've made the changes on the list above!

message 24: by Lorie (last edited Jul 08, 2011 07:59AM) (new)

I'm changing mine to Kelly's Chance. I have read Going Home but did not take the time to look at all the others. I liked Going Home though and I LOVE the whole series that starts with A Merry Heart

message 25: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments We will be picking next month's group read on Friday. Please get your nominations for them to be considered! :)

message 26: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Today is the last day to nominate a book! I can't wait to see what we are reading next month!

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Our winner is #2, Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter!

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Boy, have I got to get busy!!!

message 29: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments Cool. I am looking forward to starting it next month.