Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Christian Fiction Group Reads > July's Group Read - Lilly's Wedding Quilt by Kelly Long

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments She isn't looking for love. He's mending a broken heart. It will take divine intervention for these two to get together.

Local Amish schoolteacher Lilly Lapp is tired of weddings, afraid of horses, and immersed in caring for her depressed mother. But when Jacob Wyse, a handsome horse breeder from her small community rescues her from a dangerous accident, Lilly discovers a renewed interest in life and the possibility of love.

Yet Jacob has lost the one true love of his life to another man and doesn't care to expose himself to the vulnerabilities of loving again.

God works to bring this unlikely pair into a sweet romance to produce a pattern of faith, which leads to the creation and comfort of Lilly's Wedding Quilt.

Please remember to label your post with ** SPOILER** to warn those of us that have not read it yet that you may be giving something away about the book.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1533 comments Mod
I loved this book and can't wait to talk with others about it!

message 3: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I enjoyed the first one so I am really looking forward to reading this one!

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments I too loved the book. I kind-of loved it more than the first one, "Sarah's Garden".

Cant wait to read the third book in the series "Threads of Grace".

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Long | 23 comments Hi All..I'm so honored that you're doing Lilly and I will be around to answer questions this month if you have any! I loved Jacob and Seth's relationship and can't wait to see Seth's story play out!
Peace,
Kelly Long

message 6: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Kelly wrote: "Hi All..I'm so honored that you're doing Lilly and I will be around to answer questions this month if you have any! I loved Jacob and Seth's relationship and can't wait to see Seth's story play out..."

Thanks for joining in Kelly! It's always helpful to have the author available to join in with us!

message 7: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Loved this book!!! It was a great read I can't wait to talk about it!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I read this book a few months ago and adored it, definitely one of my favourite Amish novels. I actually preferred it to the first book in the series, not sure if anyone else is the same? Just loved watching the relationship and romance between the Lilly and Jacob grow.

message 9: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Rachel wrote: "I read this book a few months ago and adored it, definitely one of my favourite Amish novels. I actually preferred it to the first book in the series, not sure if anyone else is the same? Just love..."

Yes I think of the two this was my favorite so far as well. I just loved how the characters interacted together etc. I also think that that fact that the relationship started out different(don't want to give anything away yet) played a role in this story as well. This is one I could actually see myself reading again and I don't do that very often.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Same, I'd definitely like to read it again! I have it on my Kindle from when I reviewed it but I think I might buy a copy to have on my shelf along with Sarah's Garden.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments Abbie wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I read this book a few months ago and adored it, definitely one of my favourite Amish novels. I actually preferred it to the first book in the series, not sure if anyone else is the ..."

I have to agree with the both of you; I so loved this book compared to the first. I really wanted more about Lilly and Jacob's marriage, so I really cant waith for the third book to be released to know how there marriage is going and to read about Seth and Grace.

message 12: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I loved Sarah's Garden so I am really looking forward to reading this month's group read!

message 13: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I just finished Divine by Karen Kingsbury. What a great book! I will post a review here and on my blog tomorrow. I'm starting Lilly's Wedding Quilt now. I am really looking forward to reading this one!

message 14: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I too have read this book. I really enjoyed both the books. There were things I liked about each. Might say more after more people get a chance to read.

message 15: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I haven't started this one yet.

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Long | 23 comments Hi All,
If you know a friend who needs Lilly as a summer read, I will do a free giveway of the book. Just let me know here and I'll pick randomly on Friday....
Thanks!
Kelly Long

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Kelly wrote: "Hi All,
If you know a friend who needs Lilly as a summer read, I will do a free giveway of the book. Just let me know here and I'll pick randomly on Friday....
Thanks!
Kelly Long"

My aunt would so enjoy this one.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue Laitinen | 3 comments I absolutely loved this book, and the first in the series, Sarah's Garden. I loved to see the blossoming relationship with Lilly and Jacob, and their interactions. One of my absolute favorite things in Kelly"s writing is the "clean' intimate interactions of her characters. Nothing could have made this story better, because it was perfect...except that it had to end. I really want to read Seth's story now, and I'd love to see what happens with Katie.

message 19: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 74 comments I also loved this book. Loved the interaction between Lilly and Jacob and had to keep reading to find out what would happen and if Lily would get her wish of a wedding quilt.

message 20: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 74 comments Kelly I would love the chance to go in random draw for a free giveaway of your book to give to my friend to read. I am sure that she would love to get a copy of your book to read.

Thanks for the opportunity. Have enjoyed reading both Sarah's Garden and Lilly's Wedding Quilt and look forward to reading Seth's story.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Long | 23 comments Hi All..If you'd like a preview of Seth and Grace's story, the prologue is posted on Amish Hearts.com and Amish Living.com today! Please take a look and let me know what you think!
Peace,
Kelly

message 22: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Kelly wrote: "Hi All..If you'd like a preview of Seth and Grace's story, the prologue is posted on Amish Hearts.com and Amish Living.com today! Please take a look and let me know what you think!
Peace,
Kelly"

Okay none of those links are working for me and I really want to hear the idea for the next book!! When is its expected publication month?

message 23: by Abbie (last edited Jul 15, 2011 06:25AM) (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments O does the Amish go with both those links?

message 24: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments amishhearts.com and amishliving.com

message 25: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments OOO this is going to be a GOOD book I can't wait!!!

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Long | 23 comments Well, let me fix you up...I'll post the prologue here:

Threads of Grace
By Kelly Long
Prologue
Middle Hollow, Ohio

A breeze of late summer caught the scent of the wild roses that spilled over the crumbling stone wall and filled the apron of the beautiful girl. Grace Raber was eighteen, but she was full of the internal sunshine and cheer of a much younger child. And there was nothing she loved so much as the time she finished her chores and was permitted to wander about the fields and trees near the family farm. She often brought back the treasures of nature’s bounty to decorate the supper table under her mamm’s approving eye, and today was no exception.
But, as she approached the small farm where she and her family of seven made their home, her steps slowed as she recognized the horse and buggy of Silas Beiler. The gray-bearded Mr. Beiler owned the adjoining property and Grace knew, despite her parents’ attempts to hide it, that her family was in debt to him after a bad harvest the previous year.
Grace didn’t like the widower and always felt as though the thickness of her dress and apron were not enough to shield her soul from the pious condemnation in the man’s dark eyes. He always seemed to take on a pained expression and then a sneer of contempt when she should pass by. It was a look that made her shudder.
But the roses were wilting in her apron and she’d dallied long enough. She’d slip in through the back kitchen door and put them in water, grateful that Mr. Beiler never accepted the courtesy of staying for a meal.
She eased open the screen door, keeping her apron ends together with her other hand then ***slipped into the coolness of the kitchen. To her surprise, the chatter of her four younger siblings was absent. And, as she looked up, she realized that her mamm sat at the pine wood kitchen table with her head bent in her hands. Her father slumped near her, standing, but with his shoulders bent, while he aimlessly patted her shoulder.
Only Silas Beiler stood erect, his hands folded behind his back, his expression one of cold judgment. He looked up as Grace entered and she felt the familiar chill of dislike for him as she went to put her hand on her mother’s back.
“Mamm…what’s wrong?” Her voice was clear and melodic.
Her mother looked up as if aware of her for the first time and grasped her hand, her sobs increasing.
“Daed?”
Her father wet his lips and began to speak, not looking at Grace, but at some spot on the wall. “Grace...Gracie…” His voice faltered for moment and Grace felt her heart begin to pound.
“What is it?”
“Mr. Beiler here…well, we’re deep in debt to him. I—I’ve borrowed a lot over the past year and I can’t seem to get it paid back…”
“Tell the girl the truth.” Mr. Beiler intoned. “You are a failure as a farmer and do not know how to save a penny, let alone a dime. You are in dire conditions because you put yourself there and because the Lord will not reward the efforts of the wastrel. Your wife is always sick with her lungs as punishment for your sins…”
“Stop it!” Grace cried. “Stop speaking to my father that way. What kind of man are you that you would not exercise the grace of our people to help another without counting the cost…”
“Grace…ach, please don’t.” Her mother squeezed her hand.
Silas Beiler stared at Grace and a thin smile curved his lips while his eyes glittered. “Nee, let the girl go on. She’s only showing the defects I mentioned earlier…which makes my proposal all the more gracious.”
Grace turned to her father. “What proposal?”
Her father’s blue eyes welled with tears. “Mr. Beiler, has kindly offered to pay off all our debts…to him and to others. The medicines for your mother’s asthma… He will allow us to live and work on the farm as his tenants and will see that we have food and provisions and medicines if the year grows lean. We will not have to continually rely on the community…The bishop….the bishop approves of all of this.”
“Ach,” Grace murmured, still struggling to understand her parents’ despondency. But even to be a tenant of the miserable man might be enough to produce such brokenness…
“There is just one matter…one thing that Mr. Beiler requests…” Her father paused and drew a deep breath. “He asks for your hand in marriage…”
Grace almost laughed then swallowed the desire when she saw the old man’s spine stiffen.
“But Father, I…he…surely it is just…perhaps, a kindness,” She almost choked on the word. “A kindness on the part of Mr. Beiler and truly not necessary.”
“I assure you girl that my offer is in full seriousness and kindness has the least to do with it. You are evil…The Lord has cursed you with a beauty that draws the eyes of man, but as my wife, you will learn discipline and compliance. I, will, in fact, be saving your eternal soul. It is my duty; I have been convicted of this. I do not look forward to the duty, but I will be diligent. You may rest assured of that. Now, what is your answer, and I beg of you girl, do not be a fool.”
Grace felt her world spinning and struggled to breathe, like a small animal caught in a trap. Her parents were resigned; she saw that now. She also saw the faint pleading in her father’s eyes mingled with his grief…She was the eldest, called by the ways of her people to honor her father and her mother…to help them…but she could not bring herself to say the words.
Instead, she nodded once and saw her father breathe a faint sigh of relief while her mother sobbed anew.
“Very wise,” Silas Beiler announced. “I will make all of the arrangements. Good day.”
He walked across the scuffed pinewoods to the back door and Grace saw a single pink rose she’d dropped, trampled flat beneath his feet…

message 27: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments O this is going to be a great book!! I love this series is this the last one? Your such a great writer the books come a live for me and I am so sad when they end. Can't wait to read more of your work! :)

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments I surely cant wait to read it.

Good question Abbie, Is this the last one?
I've been wondering that question myself.

message 29: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Ooh, that prologue sounded so good!

I loved Lilly's Wedding Quilt, and liked Sarah's Garden, but I think Threads of Grace will be the best one yet!

That being said, I just finished Lilly's Wedding Quilt and really enjoyed it. I've posted reviews of the two books on LiveJournal and here at Goodreads as well. I'd love to know what others thought of Lilly's story!

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Kelly wrote:

A breeze of late summer caught the scent of the wild roses that spilled ..."

I don't think I like the bishop very much...

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Long | 23 comments Hi...glad to tell you you're the randome winner of a copy of Lilly! Just let me know your addy...you can email me at kellymarielong@comcast.net

Congratulations!
Kelly

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Long | 23 comments Sorry...didn't include the name...duh!!! SHAZ is the winner!

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Shaz is soo lucky!

message 34: by Barbara (new)

Kelly wrote: "Hi...glad to tell you you're the randome winner of a copy of Lilly! Just let me know your addy...you can email me at kellymarielong@comcast.net

Congratulations!
Kelly"

When will we be able to get "Threads of Grace"?

message 35: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments Kelly wrote: "Hi...glad to tell you you're the randome winner of a copy of Lilly! Just let me know your addy...you can email me at kellymarielong@comcast.net

Congratulations!
Kelly"

Will there be any more books in the series after "Threads of Grace"?

Thanks Kelly for taking the time to answer.

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Long | 23 comments Hi All,
I am not entirely sure when Threads of Grace will release exactly...I mean, a specific date. I think next year, of course. I don't know if the publisher will want more in the series...I know I could go on, but I am also working on Amish Beginnings as a series and have a few more surprises I can't talk about yet! But, my goal is to continueto provide fiction that makes people happy for a moment but that gives them a glimpse of God's love. So, I will keep on writing as long as I can!
Thank you!

message 37: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Oooh, a new series in the future from you Kelly!

I am really enjoying Lilly's Wedding Quilt! I just need to find more quiet time so I can read more of it! LOL!

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments Thanks Kelly for the information.

Praying the good Lord will work His power on the publisher to allow you to still write Amish fiction or what the Lord feels you should write.

message 39: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Okay, I am at the halfway mark of this book. Jacob and Lilly just got married. I am very interested to see how their relationship grows as the begin to court. Lilly must be a strong woman to take #2 in Jacob's heart with the commitment of marriage. I couldn't do it!

message 40: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Kelly wrote: "Hi All,
I am not entirely sure when Threads of Grace will release exactly...I mean, a specific date. I think next year, of course. I don't know if the publisher will want more in the series...I kn..."

Kelly, I have to say that I really enjoyed Lilly's Wedding Quilt. Sarah's Garden was ok, but not as good as Lilly! I'll also add my prayers that the Lord will "nudge" your publisher into allowing you more of this series and your upcoming Amish series!

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Kelly wrote: "Hi All,
I am not entirely sure when Threads of Grace will release exactly...I mean, a specific date. I think next year, of course. I don't know if the publisher will want more in the series...I kn..."

Kelly, what's the first title in the Amish Beginnings series? I'm sure I've seen the cover floating around somewhere on the internet. It looked like a historical novel from the picture - am I right in this?

message 42: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments Rachel wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Hi All,
I am not entirely sure when Threads of Grace will release exactly...I mean, a specific date. I think next year, of course. I don't know if the publisher will want more in the ..."

"Arms of Love"
The cover of the book is on goodreads.

message 43: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristinj-al) | 7 comments Lily's Wedding Quilt and Sarah's Garden were definetly number 1 reads. I just loved them!!! I cannot wait until Threads of Grace releases!!! Definetly worth the wait.

message 44: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristinj-al) | 7 comments Lily's Wedding Quilt and Sarah's Garden were definetly number 1 reads. I just loved them!!! I cannot wait until Threads of Grace releases!!! Definetly worth the wait.

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments When can we talk some more about the book?
The month of July is almost over.
I got more I'd like to say about the book but not want to give spoiler to those who are still reading.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Oh yes, jump in and start talking about spoilers now! It sounds like everyone's finished it now.

message 47: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments I really loved the whole book as a whole.
But the event that stick out in my mind the most was the surpirse of the wedding quilt that Jacob and Seth make for Lilly's Wedding Quilt and the two of them learning to sew first.

message 48: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments Jacob being there for Lilly when her mom needed to go the hospital.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I thought the wedding quilt part was so sweet, it was lovely that Jacob had realised that having a quilt did mean a lot to Lilly, even if she tried to hide that fact from him. I think the fact that he realised her true feelings on the situation and arranged to make a quilt for her shows how strong their relationship had become by that point in the novel.

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina Watson | 222 comments I knew once Jacob ran into Lilly at the wedding outside and then announced to everyone that they were engaged to be married that Kelly had us in for a great ride in the rest of the book.

« previous 1