Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
This topic is about Abandon
Abandon discussions > The Persephone Myth

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Are you familiar with the Persephone myth? If not, here is some information:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/gr...

http://www.arthistory.sbc.edu/imagesw...

What do you think about Cabot's interpretation and retelling of the myth? Did she do a good job?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jul 01, 2011 04:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I did like Cabot's take on the myth. I thought it was kinda fun to read about an underworld immoortal (not a God as we are told in the book). Of course though being that this is the first book there are all sorts of questions. Why are the furies out to get the new immortal who guards the underworld. I guess the only think I didn't like about Cabot's underworld is that there are many underworlds instead of just one. I like the whole idea of there being one huge underworld for everyone!

message 3: by Kim (last edited Jul 07, 2011 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) I love the Persephone myth, but I don't really see Abandon as much of a retelling of the myth. Persephone didn't die and the whole purpose of the myth is to explain seasons. Unless the story in the second book changes ((view spoiler)), it won't really reflect the story at all. But I did actually like the multiple underworlds bit. It made it so that John Hayden and Hades could both exist and Cabot wouldn't have to explain where Hades went.

Stephanie (stephsco) I like the twist on the underworlds and the idea that John is a mortal-turned-immortal keeper. But it strays a bit from the Persephone myth, and as I was trying to sum up the book, I'm not sure it's even a retelling. It's more of a launching pad for a different story. I'm wondering if I might like the next book more b/c of emphasis on the underworld rather than her high school life.

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I agree that it strays from the original story, but I think that was her intention, so she could make it her own and just have the Persephone myth inspire her. I do have more questions, so I'm excited to read the next book to see where the trilogy is going.