SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Aug 2011] "Iron Duke" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 01, 2011 01:03AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29472 comments This is the discussion thread for August's BOM: The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook.
Spoilers Welcome Here

Please include in your discussion:
* Did you like the main characters? (If not, why?)
* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

message 2: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24165 comments Looking forward to this one :)

message 3: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6439 comments Me, too! Counting down til the sequel...debating whether to re-read this at the moment!

message 4: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24165 comments Yes, I've preordered the next one, I better read this one first before it gets here. LOL.

message 5: by Sandra (last edited Aug 09, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Sandra I really liked this book, definitely an interesting steam-punk novel with pirates, kraken, metalmen, the works. The romance wasn't the best in the world, but I actually liked that it was slow to develop because it felt more realistic. I loved Mina and thought the Iron Duke was interesting, but would have liked to see things from his perspective a little more frequently.

There were some times they could have explained things better (it took me a while to figure out that "The Horde" was the historical Mongolian Horde and people gave her a hard time because she looked part Asian. Also, she would go on about why she couldn't be with him, but I needed them to explain it because the whole "it will increase attention to me and my family" thing wasn't completely obvious to me.).

The murder-mystery aspect was not obvious or forced, it flowed with the story and added a complexity to it.

The resolution happened a little quickly and with slightly less action than I expected, but still good. And although the HEA was there, it also could have been more flushed out. So that feels like a lot of criticisms, but I really did enjoy it. I would love a follow-up novella with a wedding or baby to see how they are doing.

message 6: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 540 comments I read this a few months ago and really loved it. It was really close to a 5* read for me, but I also felt the ending was rushed. But the world building, the story itself and the characters I thought were fabulous.

Anyone wanting to revisit the world while waiting for the sequel, if you haven't seen it there's a Constable Newberry (squee! I love him!) story in the anthology Wild & Steamy. I saw it reviewed on smartbitchestrashybooks.com over the weekend and they raved about it. I downloaded it the other day but haven't got a chance to read it yet.

message 7: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24165 comments I started this today, and I'm really liking it so ar :)

message 8: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6439 comments :D

message 9: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3654 comments Over halfway thru and liking it! A little of a slow start for me, but I tend to get a little book AD when they are world building.

message 10: by Lis (last edited Aug 20, 2011 07:20PM) (new)

Lis | 3654 comments I gave this one 3 1/2 stars... Enjoyed this book and the "steampunk" world this story was set. Started a little slow for me with the world building, but the storyline was unique enough and kept my attention.

* I found the main characters attraction and communication with each other a little awkward at times, but still a good read. * Favorite scene: Scarsdale of course..."I also killed your butler....He fell and his head burst to pieces." * Yes I would recommend if they liked steampunk. * I'm looking forward to the next book, met the characters that will be in the spotlight and they should be pretty entertaining.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Iron Duke (other topics)
Wild & Steamy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Meljean Brook (other topics)