The Young Adult Historical Fiction Society discussion

2011 Group Reads > The Luxe by Anna Godbersen - July Group Read

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 30, 2011 10:24PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments This is a topic with spoilers for book 1 only of The Luxe series. Feel free to discuss anything about book 1 in this topic without having to warn for spoilers.

Please mark any potential spoilers for books 2 through 4 in this series with spoiler tags and indicate which book you are talking about.

Tag looks like this - (view spoiler).

Click on (some html is ok) above the comment box to find out how to make a spoiler tag.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments I've read this one, so I'll wait to make any big comments until someone else has read it.

At first I wasn't sure what to expect. It started to read like a 19th century version of Gossip Girl, but once the story started to flow, the depth of characters started to emerge. The series as a whole was one big emotional rollercoaster, full of both the sweet and the tragic. I like that the author didn't take the easy way out with a lot of the situations the girls were in.

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments I thought the characters seemed really real, at times I wanted to cheer for them, or wring their necks for some of their choices. I absouslty loved Will though...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments Will was a sweetheart.

Henry and Diana are my favorites. Henry is flawed but still swoon worthy, and Diana is a rebel child.

Elizabeth grated on me pretty bad in the first book, but she grew on me with time.

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments Oh I agree, Henry was very swoon worthy, a couple of times I wanted to slap him upside the head, but I agree I like him and Diana they were a good wit match. Yeah I though Elizabeth was a little wishy washy at the beginning

message 6: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Starting this on Monday. It's funny. I've had this one in my TBR (literal pile on my desk) for a while. I tend to buy more books than I can ever read.

message 7: by Mk323 (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments Just finished this over the weekend.
Stacia, I totally agree on the GG of 1899 comment! It turned me off a little at first because it felt like a cheap disguise. But after the first few chapters, I got invested in the story and characters. I love a writer that can make a reader root for a bad boy like Henry! And I loved all the criss-crossing tension/relationships among the main characters. I wish it had a soundtrack--I'd love to hear some of the lush music they were dancing to. Mood music!

message 8: by Maree (new)

Maree | 99 comments I thought this book was pretty great, too. I mentioned in my review how realistic I thought the characters were.

(view spoiler)

So there are more in the series? I was telling my roommate about it about 20 pages from the ending and she looked it up and said it had a cliffhanger, but I thought it wasn't too bad.

message 9: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments Yeah there are 3 other books after Lux, I suggest if you continue to have the other close on hand, the author has high cliff hangers for all of them.

message 10: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey "Blue" (bbblue) | 23 comments I enjoyed this one so much because of the characters and all of the details Goberson wrote about. I felt like I had traveled in time back to an era where society ruled and your clothes said everything about you. It was beautifully written and made me yearn for the characters maybe more so than they did. I am now on to Envy. Rumors made me bawl like a baby at the end and I have a feeling I'll be doing the same with this one and Splendor.

message 11: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jul 08, 2011 10:15PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments I got choked up several times while reading this series. There were so many up and down moments scattered throughout the books.

I completely agree about the society aspect. It put some people off, but once I understood where the author was going with the books, I loved how it was worked into the story. It felt like we were dropped into turn of the century New York, right in the middle of high society.

There is something about this author's writing style that really appeals to me. She makes you care about her characters and what happens to them. I also like that she's not afraid to make characters that you won't necessarily like.

Godbersen has started another series that takes place in the 20's and I like where the setup is going.

Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1) by Anna Godbersen

Sort of unrelated, but not long after reading The Luxe series, I read the Blue Bloods series, and felt they had a similar high society feel, even though BB is modern day and paranormal (with some worked in historical elements, but not many).

message 12: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey "Blue" (bbblue) | 23 comments I can see Blue Bloods in this series. They're both connected to the untouchable high society of New York.:)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments When you finish The Luxe series, I'll have to get your opinion of how it ended. I have mixed feelings, but still loved the series overall.

message 14: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments I agree with Stacia, the ending is a little mixed.

message 15: by Mk323 (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments As I read, I got curious about what 17 Gramercy and some of the other setting might look like so I looked it up. If you're interested, follow the link--there's a picture of 16 Gramercy (the townhouse of Edwin Booth) that I bet inspired Godbersen. It looks a LOT like what she describes as the Holland home, complete with enclosed iron porch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramercy...

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments Oh cool thanks! I loved how real her settings were. I had to stop myself from laughing during class last month, we were learning about the same time frame this series took place and I was making associations, I felt like a dork.

message 17: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Regarding Luxe resembling a historical Gossip Girl, the book is a product of Alloy Entertainment, the book packaging company* responsible for Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, et cetera.

In addition, considering that it's copyrighted to both Alloy and the author, I suspect it was a write-for-hire project. The same company for example, developed The Vampire Diaries that way and were able to 'fire' the author after some conflicts in the last couple of years.

Given Alloy's penchant for turning their books into shows, I wonder if at some point a Luxe TV series might appear.

*If you aren't familiar with book packaging companies, despite the name they aren't just about shipping or whatever, they are basically just mini-publishers. They handle all the busy work aspects of producing a project and then just rely on publishers for pure distribution assistance.

message 18: by Mk323 (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments @J.a., so interesting. I'd like to see The Luxe as a series. I will admit, though, that something about Alloy gives me the creeps...

message 19: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments I've never heard of that but interesting. If they did turn Lux into a series, each book could almost be a season if done right.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments 4 seasons would be a good length for a show. Although, the series ending would be an interesting reaction from those who hadn't read the books.

Thanks for the link, Mk. I like having visuals.

message 21: by Mk323 (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments You've all piqued my interest about the series ending now! I'm about 100 pages into Envy, and everything so far has been good. And so many characters you love to hate--perfect for a TV series.

message 22: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments Hahaha prefect formula for tv/movies!

message 23: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey "Blue" (bbblue) | 23 comments Stacia ~ tuned out wrote: "When you finish The Luxe series, I'll have to get your opinion of how it ended. I have mixed feelings, but still loved the series overall."

Love/hate I think is the best definition of my feelings for the end. Diana and Henry-- I don't need to say it. Elizabeth... Carolina... So many fitting endings and others just seemed like a rushed sort of decision. Gobherson wrote all of the books with these shockers in their endings and Splendor felt like that was supposed to have the same feel and then....

I loved it but am definitely frustrated by it.

message 24: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments Haha basically Lindsey

message 25: by Maree (last edited Jul 14, 2011 09:23AM) (new)

Maree | 99 comments Haha, and look what I just found:

http://perezhilton.com/2011-07-13-gos...

Looks like they're going movie instead of TV show. :)

message 26: by Mk323 (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments Wow. That's surprising about the music-driven bit. Does that means the leads will have to sing? Moulin Rouge was soooo different than The Luxe--and the setting made sense as a musical. I'm not sure I'm into this series as a musical, although it will be fun to see the stories on screen.

What do you all think?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments I could not see this as a musical at all. These books have too much emotion in them for me to want to see people being silly.

But, I'd still have to check it out either way. A couple of my favorite YA series (Mortal Instruments and Hunger Games) will be on the big screen next year and I can't wait.

message 28: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments Oh god, please don't turn it into a musical! I love musicals, and I enjoyed this series, the combo sounds not a lovely combo...

message 29: by Mk323 (last edited Jul 14, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments Ottilie and Stacia, I'm with you. I adore musicals, it's nothing against them, but this series has enough going for it without going all Baz Luhrmann. They should go in the other direction and emphasize the drama instead of the eye candy.

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronica_mitchell) Just finished the book and I absolutely loved it!! I thought that the story flowed well, but it was predictable at times.

message 31: by Mk323 (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments Just finished Envy and I'm about to grab Splendor on my Kindle. I have mixed feelings about some events toward the end of Envy... For example, was there ever any doubt what would happen at the reading of the will? I felt hammered over the head with that. But boy do I love to hate Penelope!

message 32: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments Hahaha the author does well, you really have a love/hate with her characters...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments There are only a select few authors who can make me feel such strong emotions toward characters, both good and bad. This is one of those authors.

message 34: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 276 comments Mod
I finished this today! It was great and a lot better than I expected. I've never read Gossip Girl so I couldn't compare that series to the Luxe. The characters of Luxe are interesting to me - I actually care what happens to them! I like Diana the best, and I like Elizabeth too - I felt sorry for all the troubles that happened to her. She was just trying to do what was best. I hate Penelope - she is a selfish spoiled brat! XD With Lina I love/hate her. ;-) I didn't like her getting in the way of Elizabeth's plans, but I felt sorry for her troubles as a maid. Will is cool, and as for Henry, he isn't bad. :-) I really need to read the sequel!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments The topic will be here if you read the rest of the books and want to talk about them. If we get more movie info, I'll try and see if I/we can keep us updated here.

message 36: by Charmaine (new)

Sounds cool, Stacia, thanks! I never thought about it being a movie/tv show 'til you guys brought up the idea. :-) It's cool that there will be a movie and I hope it's good.

message 37: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I know I'm late on this but working at a library for a living means that my summer gets very crazy. I absolutely loved the book, even though I figured I would not. I don't usually like the poor little rich girl genre but I decided since the group was reading it I would give it a chance. This is why I joined a goodreads group to expand my horizons. The characters felt very real and I laughed and cried with them (and sometimes felt like screaming at or slapping some of them). The story was awesome and I found myself rooting for certain characters. Diana and Carolina were my favorites hands down though Elizabeth started to grow on me near the end of the story. I have Rumors in one of my many TBR piles and I cannot wait to read it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 270 comments It's never too late to pop in and comment, even if the month is over.

I agree that Elizabeth takes a while to warm up to.

message 39: by Charmaine (new)

Nice, hearing your input, Christie. :-) I also got pretty involved with the characters. I wanted things to go well for Elizabeth & Will. I did get annoyed with Penelope, ha ha! Diana is one of my favorite characters, too. :-) I think she is probably my most favorite. Rumors is in my TBR pile as well. I have it from the library but haven't gotten to read it yet.