Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
This topic is about The Luxe
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Godbersen, Anna - The Luxe -July YA BOM #2

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 30, 2011 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen
This topic is open for discussion of The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Description on Goodreads:
In the self-contained world of young Gilded Age Manhattan socialites, Elizabeth and Diana Holland reign supreme. Or so it seems. Scratch the surface, though, and you can detect festering jealousies that threaten to topple them. Elizabeth suffers a more literal fall when her carriage overturns and she is carried away by the swift East River current. That's only the beginning of the action and suspense in The Luxe, the launch volume in a teen series by Anna Godbersen.

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 433
Published November 20th 2007 by HarperCollins
First in series

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I was so excited to see that my sister had this book when I organized her books. Trying to finish Game of Thrones so I can start this one. I haven't had much reading time with moving, looking for a job and an apartment!

Erin **SPOILERS**

I absolutely LOVED this book. Between the love triangles and mystery I couldn't put this one down. I love that in the end Penelope helped Elizabeth fake her death so she could be with her true love. And in the end Diana was able to be with hers. I can't wait to read the next book!

Kristina (kristinalawhead) I read this book a long time ago and didn't really like it overall but I DID like the setting a lot! I also LOVE the covers, they're some of my favorites, especially the Envy dress :) I like the characters and descriptions of society then

message 5: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 09, 2011 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments So I was looking for more information on the Luxe series and came across a website by the publisher Harper Collins. They have a fun little quiz which lets you figure out which Luxe girl you are. Here is a link:
http://www.harperteen-theluxe.com/lux...

I was supposedly Diana Holland -
As lively and energetic as the wild-haired Diana Holland, you love adventure and want to see as much of the world as possible. You might not always fit in, but you know how you want to live and won't let society's standards get in your way.

When I manipulated my answers a bit I ended up being Penelope Hayes -
You are as daring and enterprising as the beautiful Penelope Hayes. You strive for Admiration from your peers and nothing will come between you and your role as the 'it' girl of society. You know life isn't worth living without money, the most beautiful clothes, and the most desired boy.

So which Luxe girl are you?

Erin Lisarenee I am so glad that you put the link up. I took the quiz and I guess I am more of an Elizabeth Holland

Karen  (EarthAngel2911) (karens_923) | 119 comments I just finished The Luxe the other day and was so happy that I had purchased the rest of the series when Borders was having their closing sale. I'm already 2/3 of the way through Rumors and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

I really enjoyed this story! I liked the setting and timeframe of the story (although I found myself rolling my eyes at the lifestyles). I had very definite opinions of most of the characters in the beginning, but then went back to reread the Prologue after finishing the book and changed some of those initial opinions. (view spoiler)

I'm looking forward to find out who Henry is standing with at the alter in the Prologue of Rumors and then will have Envy right there waiting when I finish this book! :-)

Karen  (EarthAngel2911) (karens_923) | 119 comments Thanks for the link, Lisa. I had fun with the quiz and it seems I'm Elizabeth Holland.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I liked that this book was set in a historical time and I think that things were described very well. I also liked that each chapter had a newspaper/gossip column snippet beforehand. It was a nive touch. The only thing I did not like about this book which ruined most of it was that I did not feel like there was much story development. I wanted and was especting more. Personally, I thought it went nowhere. I guess I am used to the fast paced, things-flying-at-you lifestyle we live today.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Luxe (other topics)
Rumors (other topics)
Envy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anna Godbersen (other topics)