Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > July 2011 Non Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Has anyone else listened to Andrew McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective Agency Books? Lisette Lecat is so awesome with the series, it's pure enjoyment to listen.

The first book was a little hard to get through for me because I didn't realize there were flashbacks happening. Once I picked up on that fact I was able to really enjoy the rest.

After that it's all been good, great characters and really great listens for anyone into the cozy mystery aspect.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i started The Time Machine on the drive to work this am - its only 4 hours long, then I have To the Lighthouse on the pile (maybe some romance after that)

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Brenda wrote: "Has anyone else listened to Andrew McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective Agency Books? Lisette Lecat is so awesome with the series, it's pure enjoyment to listen.

The first book was a little hard t..."

I haven't tried those books yet but I've been curious about them. Waiting to see what someone I "know" thought of them before I bit. :)
I'm almost finished with A Game of Thrones and have Nora Roberts Divine Evil from the library up next. That will take care of another Challenge category. :)

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Divergent. The narrator can't really do different voices...but the books has had little dialogue so I'm not too lost...yet.

The story is getting too close to The Hunger Games but sillier. Although the explanation for the business of the factions made some sense, the whole thing feels somewhat ridiculous. Oh well...

message 5: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Just finishedDeeper Than Midnight - my favorite in the series so far!

Next is either Tamed by a Highlander or Seduction & Scandal (the first of a new series by Charlotte Featherstone).

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Finished A Game of Thrones today and started Divine Evil.

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Hey Dee...

Did you listen to Between Shades of Gray or did you read it? I got it in audio from the library and I'm not sure I'm liking the narrator...

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I read it...so can't tell you about the narrator, but the book was really good

i'm listening to Angela's Ashes - narrated by the author...its good, the quality of the audiobook leaves a bit to be desired though

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments She sounds like a less polished version of the narrator for Divergent (you know, my lastest favorite!) so I'm switching to print.

message 10: by paula (last edited Jul 15, 2011 10:18PM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Just finished Rainwater & a re-read of Honor's Splendour (one of my favorites & love the heroine's character).

Next is Carnal Innocence & Just the Sexiest Man Alive.

message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I don't know what to listen next...I need something that it's good but not so engrossing that I won't abandon other books I'm reading - usually I like to only listen books when I cannot read (at the gym, when I'm walking etc) but if the audiobook is too good, then I forget about the books I'm reading.

Here are the candidates:
Already Home by Susan Mallery Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Dark Prince(Carpathians, #1) by Christine Feehan Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan Welcome to Temptation (Dempsey's, #1) by Jennifer Crusie

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments the only one on that list i've listened to is Bitten - it was good, and I enjoyed it, but I haven't moved on in the series (the narrator changed for book 2 and she got really crappy reviews)

message 13: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Well ... I can tell you what I'd do though I've only listened to one of these and can't speak to how good the other five might be. :)

I'd go with the HP, the one I've heard before. Since I know the story, it'd be easier to stop; and I'm thinking the paranormals (not counting the HP :) ) would have more tension and be harder to stop.

I really enjoyed the Jim Dale HPs. I've been meaning to get my own copies so I can listen any time.

message 14: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments I would suggest Welcome to Temptation (Dempsey's, #1) by Jennifer Crusie . It is an enjoyable read, but one that is a little lighter than the others I think & would be easier to come & go with.

message 15: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Thanks for your thoughts ladies!

I just realized that I'm reading a werewolf book - How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf - and I like to read/listen different genres so I'm taking all the werewolf books out of the running.

Maybe I'll go with the Susan Mallery or Harry Potter. But I'll start my new listen tomorrow...I've been losing my sleep with the audiobooks I've been listening so I need a short break, LOL!

message 16: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments @D.G. ~Vile Temptress~

I'd recommend Welcome to Temptation - it's one of my favourite Crusie books and I think it is excellent on audio.

message 17: by Dee (last edited Jul 19, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i'm almost done with angela's ashes...debating if I should go with the first in the Parasol Protectorate series, or a family saga

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger or Mosaic A Chronicle of Five Generations by Diane Armstrong

message 18: by D.G. (last edited Jul 20, 2011 03:25AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Maybe I'll read that next, Kaetrin!

I've listened to a few hours of the Harry Potter but I guess I should thought of cleaning the CDs first (I got them from the library) and now the audio sounds funky. I think I'll have to clean the CDs, see if that helps and re-transfer them to my iPod.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina | 54 comments I'm about to finish A Lesson in Secrets by Jacqueline Winspear. This is read by Orlagh Cassidy, and is the eighth book in the Maisie Dobbs series. These are great historical mysteries set after WWI in England. This one is in the 1930s so we're getting closer to WWII. Excellent narration, very atmospheric books. I think they are among my favorite audiobooks.

message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and it was excellent. What a great narration! I'm really looking forward to the next book but who knows when I'll get it. It took me a few months to get this one from the library.

message 21: by Lisa (last edited Sep 01, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Lisa | 34 comments Paula wrote: "I would suggest Welcome to Temptation (Dempsey's, #1) by Jennifer Crusie. It is an enjoyable read, but one that is a little lighter than the others I think & would be easier to come & go with."

I agree with you Paula Im not a big fan of Jennifer Crusie but I think Welcome to Temptation and Manhunting are her best books and they are easy to listen to.