Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Romance Listening in July 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments We're more than halfway through 2011 now, unreal!

I started Jaquelyn Franks paranormal romance, Jacob, this morning. Xe Sands is narrating and I'm enjoying that aspect very much.

Opinion of the book itself is still to come. I read before I listen, but many times only enough to know I want to hear the book as I go. It adds the voices in my head which adds to my reading experience.

Yes, your right, I don't watch TV, books are my thing. :D

message 2: by paula (last edited Jul 02, 2011 05:52PM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Just finished Seduction & Scandal (first in her new series). I thought it was beautifully written & was quite swept away with the hero (**sigh**).

Now listening to Into the Night & Tamed by a Highlander.

message 3: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Brenda wrote: "We're more than halfway through 2011 now, unreal!

I started Jaquelyn Franks paranormal romance, Jacob, this morning. Xe Sands is narrating and I'm enjoying that aspect very much.

Opinion of th..."

Very glad to hear that you are enjoying it, Brenda! What I find interesting about this series is that each differs greatly in feel, as the couple focused on is different in each book. I actually enjoyed the plot and characters of the second book, "Gideon" more than the first. If you decide to keep listening/reading the series, I will be interested in your thoughts about which books you enjoyed most.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments started Succubus Shadows yesterday...when that's done I get to join the waiting game for the last book in the series which is due out in August

message 5: by paula (last edited Jul 04, 2011 09:56PM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Xe wrote: "Brenda wrote: "We're more than halfway through 2011 now, unreal!

I started Jaquelyn Franks paranormal romance, Jacob, this morning. Xe Sands is narrating and I'm enjoying that aspect very much. ..."

Just finished this one & enjoyed it. Narroration was fantastic.

message 6: by KarenH (last edited Jul 04, 2011 11:51PM) (new)

KarenH | 30 comments I just finished listening to Collide by Megan Hart, about a woman who suffers from periodic lapses of memory (known as "fugues") that physically put her in a catatonic state but mentally she is having a very realistic affair circa 1978 with the gorgeous bad boy of the big screen ...the same man she has fallen in love with in real life 30 years later. A very unusual storyline but I've come to expect the unexpected from Megan Hart. I loved it!

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments I just started Magic Bites. It took me a little bit to get used to Raudman's voice. At first it didn't strike me as a good voice for narrating, but after a few hours of listening I'm really enjoying it.

message 8: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I'm very impressed with Raudman in the Ilona Andrews series.
I ready ... hmm, the Adam Black Highlander book by KMM. Now reading HUNTING GROUND by Patricia Briggs and then on to the first Psy-Changeling book by Nalini Singh. I started it, loved it but that mp3 player ran out of juice so I went to Hunting Ground. After that, Demon and Shameless. Because I am Shameless .

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I started Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, #4) by Nora Roberts . I'm really looking forward to this one!

message 10: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I just finished Magic Bites and had the same problem - it took me a while to get into Raudman's narration. I couldn't differentiate between Kate's thoughts and actual speaking. But I experienced no confusion with her male and female characters - very good there. I'm about to start the second in the series, Magic Burns.

I started Anne Stuart's Shameless just a few minutes ago...

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I just started First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones on my morning commute

message 12: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I listened to that one recently, Nichole. Let me know how you like it!

message 13: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Paula wrote: "Just finished this one & enjoyed it. Narroration was fantastic.

So glad you enjoyed it, Paula! Interested in what you think of Gideon, if you continue on with the series. Love that we get a few new characters to tease into the next book...Gideon brings in Siena and Damien.

message 14: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Xe wrote: "Paula wrote: "Just finished this one & enjoyed it. Narroration was fantastic.

So glad you enjoyed it, Paula! Interested in what you think of Gideon, if you continue on with the series. Love that w..."

Definitely looking forward to Gideon's story!

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I finished Divine Evil yesterday and started A Clash of Kings. Waiting for my Jacob cd's to arrive. :)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "I listened to that one recently, Nichole. Let me know how you like it!"

I enjoyed it...I can't wait for the next one

message 17: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Just finished the first PSy-Changeling book and really liked it. Next up is probably Demon, to keep me in the mood for writing Warrior.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen White (karenwhiteaudiobooknarrator) | 145 comments Just letting y'all know about a giveaway I am doing of The Fallen: Demon audiobook - written by Kristina Douglas and narrated by me! I'm giving away 3 mp3s and 1 CD version of the book. Just comment on the giveaway post at my site http://karenwhiteaudiobooks.com/ before Tuesday July 12 at 8am PST.

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Karen wrote: "Just letting y'all know about a giveaway I am doing of The Fallen: Demon audiobook - written by Kristina Douglas and narrated by me! I'm giving away 3 mp3s and 1 CD version of the b..."

I did. :)

message 20: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Just finished Golden Change by JAK, which i bought at the "paperback sale" on audible for $5.95. I'm still trying to formulate my review. There were many things to like about the book, and a few that make me cringe. The narration was interesting, but not my favorite. I've never listened to a dual narration before, and some of the voices by both narrators didn't suit for me, while others did.

I'm going to listen to Delicious by Susan Mallery, which i also bought at the sale.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments finished up Succubus Shadows - already know that at least one of my audible credits in august will be going towards book 6...its going to be a long six weeks waiting for it...hopefully audible will have it on release day (fingers crossed)

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I'm still waiting for Audible to get Catherine Coulter's Split Second. *heavy sigh*

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) Just started Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews and am thoroughly disappointed because I am ENJOYING it SOOOOO much and I know at some point I will finish.

message 24: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Diane wrote: "I'm still waiting for Audible to get Catherine Coulter's Split Second. *heavy sigh*"

I haven't listened to one of Coulter's newer suspense books. Do you find them romantic? Is there one you would recommend more than others?

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Diane wrote: "I'm still waiting for Audible to get Catherine Coulter's Split Second. *heavy sigh*"

I haven't listened to one of Coulter's newer suspense books. Do you find them romantic? Is th..."

I think I'm enjoying listening more that I was reading them. I wouldn't call these books "romantic". There is a little romance in the books but the current mystery is the meat of the story. You have the ongoing relationship between Sherlock and Savitch who have almost as big a role as the current hero & heroine and their developing relationship but romance for either couple is minimal.
I will have to get back with you on a recommendation. :)

message 26: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments The results of the Favorite Romance Audiobook Poll are posted in the latest Speaking of Audiobooks column. Good Stuff!

http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=6718

message 27: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Mirror Image by Sandra Brown and so far this heroine is winning the contest for 'Crazy Heroine of the Year' (and not in a good way.) Yikes! I really want to know how the hero is going to take all this crazy behavior when he finds out the truth.

message 28: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "I'm listening to Mirror Image by Sandra Brown and so far this heroine is winning the contest for 'Crazy Heroine of the Year' (and not in a good way.) Yikes! I really want to know how the hero i..."

Unfortunately many of Sandra Brown's old backlist titles are now being released in audio and, sorry, I think most of them stink! This one is from 1990. But her romantic suspense titles after 2000 are pretty delicious!

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "I'm listening to Mirror Image by Sandra Brown and so far this heroine is winning the contest for 'Crazy Heroine of the Year' (and not in a good way.) Yikes! I really want to know how the hero i..."

I think I rated this one 3.5/5. What intrigued me was being able to experience what it would be like to completely inhabit another person's life, dealing with all their mistakes and character flaws. The fact that the h decides to stay on as "Carole" makes for some great scenes.

Then there is the fact that Brown gets to write a nasty hero and yet have the readers total sympathy.

From my review:
The readers are placed in the somewhat unnerving position of agreeing with the wounded hero and his reactions to Carole, while also feeling indignant over the fact that Avery gets the brunt of those reactions. The hero and the heroine are both right, and both wrong, all at the same time. That is a very clever piece of imagination and writing.

Unfortunately I thought the suspense plot was weak, and didn't care for the secondary cheracters.

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments I just started Infamous by Brockmann on audio. I read the book and enjoyed it. I'm not crazy about the male narrator. He's the same one who co-narrated Golden Chance b JAK. Not a bad narrator, but not great. I haven't decided how I feel about the female narrator yet.

message 31: by D.G. (last edited Jul 16, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Whenever I'm a funk, audio-wise, I tend to pick standalones romantic suspense titles and my library seems to have tons of these by Sandra Brown. (Of course, they only have Envy on CDs so I haven't been able to get that one.)

Anyhow, I understand the heroine was thrust in this situation but her plan doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't it have been better to tell the police? How is she really going to stop him from being killed? And when the hero is being mean, she really takes it to heart, like she's Carole for real.

Also, I'm not too crazy about her making the guy believe she's his wife. I read another book by Sandra Brown where the heroine tells this amnesiac that she's his wife but the guy never believes her and that wasn't so icky.

message 32: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm listening to the second in the Kate Daniels series, Magic Burns, by Ilona Andrews. I'm gradually falling into the series' storyline and expect to be going strong by the time I start Book 3, Magic Strikes. It's supposed to turn utterly fantastic at that time. Too many here at SOA have exclaimed their love for this series for me to not stay tuned.

message 33: by KarenH (new)

KarenH | 30 comments I finished Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4) by Anne Stuart by Anne Stuart. The House of Rohan has been an excellent series to enjoy on audio with Susan Ericksen as narrator.

I'm on a roll. Listening to More Than a Mistress (Dudley, #1) by Mary Balogh by Mary Balogh, narrated by Rosalyn Landor. I've had the earplugs in for almost 10 hours...can't "put the book down" it's sooo good.

message 34: by Brenda (last edited Jul 20, 2011 09:14AM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I'm planning to start Gideon after work today, some ear candy to look forward to after a long day. :)

I hope your enmeshed in Magic Strikesby now Lea. I'll be the first to understand if it still isn't your thing of course.

But if your still listening be on the lookout out for a phone call Kate makes to Curran from a restaurant. Kate has to pay Glenda, the restaurant owner to use the phone, the scene ends like this ....

.... I slammed the phone down. Well then. That was perfectly reasonable.
On the other side of the counter an older heavyset man stared at me like I had sprouted horns.
Glenda handed me the money I'd given her. "That was some conversation. It was worth ten bucks."

Maybe it's just me, but it's just one example of where I laugh every time I listen to it. :D

message 35: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Brenda wrote: "I'm planning to start Gideon after work today, some ear candy to look forward to after a long day. :)..."

Interested to hear what you think, Brenda. Gideon had a different feel, at least to me - more cerebral somehow, and definitely less "angsty" to me. The male MC is a very different kind of guy than "Jacob," and female MC is likewise very different than "Bella."

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I just finished the audio for Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison this morning and really enjoyed it, the narrator is a new one for me and I thought she did a great job...my only complaint (and its a minor one) is that I wish she could have done Dragos' voice a bit deeper....all in all it was a good audio

message 37: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm listening to Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead , right now. I didn't realize the first time I read the book that there's so much humor in it. I'm enjoying it a lot the second time around.

message 38: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianadcmd) I'm starting Gideon tonight.

message 39: by paula (last edited Jul 20, 2011 02:33PM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Just finished Carnal Innocence & was pleasantly surprised. I'm generally not a big fan of suspense romance, but found myself becoming more engrossed with each chapter. Definitely a new member of the "Tucker" fan club (**sigh**).

Starting Gideon next. Xe - I was glad to hear that you felt it was a little less "angsty", as I tend to enjoy the story more when it is. Also listening to Bloodfever, but am having a hard time getting in to it.

message 40: by Xe (last edited Jul 20, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Paula wrote: "Starting Gideon next. Xe - I was glad to hear that you felt it was a little less "angsty", as I tend to enjoy the story more when it is. Also listening to Bloodfever, but am having a hard time getting in to it."

I often feel similarly. Although I love Jacob's emotionality and Gideon is a bit more difficult to connect with, it's an intentional choice and makes breaking him down much more fun ;) We are also introduced to the vampires and lycanthropes in Gideon, setting up the next few books.

And personally, I enjoyed Legna more than Bella. She's a deeper, older character and was more enjoyable to voice.

message 41: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Paula wrote: "Just finished Carnal Innocence & was pleasantly surprised. I'm generally not a big fan of suspense romance, but found myself becoming more engrossed with each chapter. Definitely a new member of the "Tucker" fan club (**sigh**)."

Ah, yes...:::sigh::: Tom Stechschulte's voice is perfect for Tucker Longstreet. Welcome to the fan club. ;-)

message 42: by Brenda (last edited Jul 20, 2011 10:50PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I'm with Paula and Carrie when it comes to Tom Stechshulte,Carnal Innocence and Tucker.

Two hours into Gideon, which I have NOT read before, big deal for me ... The narration totally rocks! I don't know where I'm going, but I'm more than happy to take the trip. You have no idea how rare that is ...

message 43: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Brenda wrote: "I'm with Paula and Carrie when it comes to Tom Stechshulte,Carnal Innocence and Tucker.

Two hours into Gideon, which I have NOT read before, big deal for me ... The na..."

Gracious, I'm so honored to hear that, Brenda. That's exactly what I always hope to achieve :)

message 44: by KarenH (new)

KarenH | 30 comments I watched the movie version of Carnal Innocence on the Lifetime Channel last week.

This is Tucker & Caroline...

[image error]

message 45: by paula (last edited Jul 22, 2011 08:29AM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Just finished Gideon (good story, excellent narration). Listening to More Than a Mistress now.

message 46: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I finished Gideon today and started Carnal Innocence.

message 47: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Brenda wrote: "Two hours into Gideon, which I have NOT read before, big deal for me"

Could you've listened to the first book without reading it beforehand? I'd like to try this series but haven't read it yet.

message 48: by Tara (new)

Tara | 17 comments I'm still working through the outlander series. I've been listening to Drums of Autumn all month. I'm just about finished (disc 37 of 39). (view spoiler)

message 49: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments Just finished Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead and Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2) by Richelle Mead as re-read. Now listening to Iron Crowned (Dark Swan, #3) by Richelle Mead .

message 50: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Just finished Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) by Ilona Andrews (hey, did that work). Loved most of it, really loved it, though there was a small part with a lot of repetition. Like the editor got distracted. But it's still an A+. Wonderful, off-beat characterization. Gory as usual with Andrews (I think it's the husband) but really really good.

« previous 1