Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Mystery/Murder

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MarySue (new)

MarySue | 30 comments Hey! I was just wondering if anyone had some good Mystery stories to suggest. I haven't really read any so I thought now would be a good time to start! :) Any suggestions about Murder or conspiracies are welcome! Tell me the title and author if its a book, or if it's a story on here, send me the link! If anyone has a suggestion about something like the murder of the president or something. That would be cool!

I don't really like swearing or really inappropriate stuff... so if it has a lot of either of those things.. please don't suggest it for me.

:) It says to include this... so I'm 14, I'm a girl, and some of my favorite books are Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, parts of Twilight, Percy Jackson, and books that make you think a little! :)

Please help me find some mystery/murder books! Thanks!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I like The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and it's sequels by Alan Bradley, as well as The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by Johm le Carre.

message 3: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
Oh, you actually included all the appropriate stuff :) Makes this a little easier...

Try The Bone Magician by F.E Higgins.
Pin Carpue is on his own in the world. His mother is dead and his father is missing after being labeled a suspect in a rash of murders. Pin finds a job working for the local undertaker as a body watcher, making sure people are really dead before they’re buried. The body he’s supposed to be watching tonight is currently surrounded by three people engaged in a most unusual ceremony. An old man, a bone magician, and his young female assistant are waking a dead woman so her grieving fiancé can have one last goodbye with her. Pin can’t believe it will work, but then the dead woman sits up and speaks.
Pin is determined to discover how the magic works. He cannot believe they are raising the dead. He cannot believe his father is a murderer. Then Pin himself nearly becomes the killer’s next victim.
As this mysterious tale unfolds with delicious creepiness, Pin will learn more about the bone magician, the girl Juno, and a hideous creature called the Gluttonous Beast that is kept in a local tavern where people pay for a glimpse.
Once again, F.E. Higgins delivers a story that is full of intrigue and suspense.

I highly recommend it. I gave it four stars, and loved it. There are so many plot twists. Also, the murder/mystery is more prominent than it might sound in the blurb.

You could also try Mice by Gordon Reece. 'Shelley, darling,' Mum said. 'Don't be frightened. He just wants money. If we do everything he says, he's going to go away and leave us alone.'
I didn't believe her, and I could tell from the trembling of her hands and the catch in her voice that she didn't believe it herself. When a cat gets into the mousehole, it doesn't go away leaving the mice unharmed. I knew how this story was going to end.
Shelley and her mum have been bullied long enough. When they retreat to an isolated cottage in the country, they think their troubles are over, and they revel in their cosy, secure life. But one night, an intruder disturbs their peace and something inside Shelley snaps. What happens next will shatter all their certainties.

Not as much mystery, but lots of suspense. Three and a half stars from me.

message 4: by MarySue (new)

MarySue | 30 comments Thanks! :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I like The Sherlock HOlmes series, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, or anything written by Agatha Christie (of course I think she cusses a little in hers so if you can't overlook anything like that, then don't read it)

message 6: by MarySue (new)

MarySue | 30 comments Thanks again! :)

message 7: by Selena (new)

Selena (goldensword50) | 3 comments I like the remember me trilogy writtin by christopher pike. hes an amazing writer.

message 8: by Danniella (new)

Danniella Duff (danniellaalisaduff) | 9 comments Any books by Tess Gerritsen and Karen Rose

message 9: by Logan (new)

Logan | 1 comments Murder on The Orient Express by Agatha Christie is a classic! It was amazing and I couldn't put it down.

message 10: by yueting (new)

yueting (yuetinggg) | 5 comments Agatha Christie has some pretty amazing mystery novels. I think the best collection is the Hercule Poirot collection, and I love Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot #15) by Agatha Christie . Hope you like it!