Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > July 2011 Mini-Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 01, 2011 10:42AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
This is based on odd or wacky holidays that really exist (at least according to a website online. lol) The dates listed are the dates the wacky holiday falls on. You have the entire month to read one or all of the books. It's up to you. There are 5 categories, and you need only read 1 per category. You can choose to read as many or as few categories as you have time for.

July is National Ice Cream Month
July 1 - Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day
July 7 - Chocolate Day
July 7 - National Strawberry Sundae Day
July 17 - National Ice Cream Day (third Sunday of the month)
July 17 - Peach Ice Cream Day
July - 23 Vanilla Ice Cream Day

With sooo many ice cream days falling this month, as well as national ice cream month, read a book that either shows ice cream on the cover, has a flavor of ice cream in the title, or someone eats ice cream somewhere in the book.

July 2- I Forgot Day
Read a book you've previously purchased, but forgot to read. Instead of reaching for the top of your TBR pile, reach for something lying forgotten on the bottom of it.

July 11 - Cheer up the Lonely Day
Read a book that you've borrowed from someone else or was given to you, read a book to someone else (reading to your own family counts), or share a book with someone else.

July 13 -Embrace Your Geekness Day
Read a book where someone has a geeky type profession, or read a non-fiction book (to increase your geekness! lol)

3 Stay out of the Sun Day
4 Independence Day (U.S.)
4 Sidewalk Egg Frying Day
6 National Fried Chicken Day
10 Teddy Bear Picnic Day
12 Pecan Pie Day
21 National Junk Food Day
23 National Hot Dog Day

It looks like the above 7 holidays are telling us we should all have a summer picnic. If you have a picnic and read part of a book there, that counts. Or read a book showing a picnic on the cover, in the title (any words from the above picnic related holidays counts, so "pie" or "hotdog" in the title works), or any book where somewhere in the book there is a picnic.

Some of these may be a little harder, but that's also part of the fun. There are so many ice cream flavors I'm sure you can find the name of one of them in a title. The mini-challenges each month are suppose to be fun.
Enjoy!

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I guess I'm hungry because I haven't had dinner yet and it's close to 10 p.m. Just had to let you all know that I'm looking forward to the "foodie" days: July 12 and 23. I think I'll not try frying eggs on the sidewalk this year. When I was teaching I did do that with the kids. Really fun!!! Happy Fourth to All of you Booklovers!

message 3: by Sherrie (last edited Jul 16, 2011 04:15PM) (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments In!
1/5 Done

July 1 - National Ice Cream Month - A Parfait Murder 7/16/11

July 2- I Forgot Day - Fundraising the Dead

July 11 - Cheer up the Lonely Day - Pinned for Murder

July 13 -Embrace Your Geekness Day -Curiosity Thrilled the Cat

July 4 - Sidewalk Egg Frying Day - Eggs Benedict Arnold

A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3) by Wendy Lyn Watson Fundraising the Dead (Museum Mystery, #1) by Sheila Connolly Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3) by Elizabeth Lynn Casey Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (Magical Cats Series) by Sofie Kelly Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2) by Laura Childs

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Should have saved A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3) by Wendy Lyn Watson for this month, but I could never have held out that long!

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Kari wrote: "Looks like another fun challenge. Are booksellers or booklovers geeky?

Thanks Again"

It's whatever you think qualifies as geeky. Some might say it is. Others wouldn't. lol So it's up to you.

message 6: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Melodie wrote: "Should have saved A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3) by Wendy Lyn Watson for this month, but I could never have held out that long!"

That would have been perfect Melodie. :)

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris  (planetcaddick) Another fun one! I'm going to have to do some thinking about this one!!

message 8: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 232 comments This sounds like a fun challenge but I never met last month's challenge and I am not going to commit to anything. If it's not something I already have in my books I probably won't take that part of the challenge. My main goal right now is to get caught up on the free books I have won or been given and reviewing them.

message 9: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

It's suppose to be fun Kare. Just do what you can to take part. You don't have to do all of it, or any of it for that matter. Just do what works for you.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Kari wrote: "Does the mystery a la mode series need to read in order? I only have #2 now.

Thanks"

I don't necessarily read in order, but I did read this series from the beginning. You wouldn't have to read them in order, tho.

message 11: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments Kari wrote: "Does the mystery a la mode series need to read in order? I only have #2 now.

Thanks"

I don't think it needs to be read in order either and I've read the first 2 already.

message 12: by Shannon (last edited Jul 14, 2011 11:52PM) (new)

Shannon July 10 - Teddy Bear Picnic Day
Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones
July 11 - Cheer up the Lonely
Peter Pan by J M Barrie
July 13 - Embrace your Geekiness Day
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
(MC is a Harvard Professor of Psychology)
July 2 - I Forgot Day
The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins

message 13: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments July Mini-Challenge
1/5 Done

1. Ice Cream Flavor: Chocolate Dipped Death by Sammi Carter
2. I Forgot: Murder With Puffins by Donna Andrews
3. Borrowed from Mom:The Merlot Murders by Ellen Crosby 7/3 ★★★★
4. Geekness Day: Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
5. Egg Frying: Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs

Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2) by Sammi Carter Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) by Donna Andrews The Merlot Murders (Wine Country Mysteries #1) by Ellen Crosby Real Murders (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1) by Laura Childs

message 14: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) July is National Ice Cream Month - Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston, #2) by Annelise Ryan Mattie ia constantly eating Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

message 15: by Diana S (last edited Jul 17, 2011 04:49PM) (new)

Diana S | 14 comments July Mini-Challenge

July 2 - I Forgot Day! A Peach of a Murder
by Livia J. Washburn

JUly 11 - Cheer up the Lonely Day! I borrowed a book
from my nephew. He insisted that I read this book. Saving Zasha by Randi
Barrow F/R: 7/17/11 (4 stars)

July 13 - Embrace your Geekness Day!
Reading a non-fiction book Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution by Holly Tucker (currently reading).

A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1) by Livia J. Washburn Saving Zasha by Randi Barrow Blood Work A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution by Holly Tucker

message 16: by Valorie (new)

2/5 Done

2. I Forgot: Murder With Puffins by Donna Andrews
4. Geekness Day: Real Murders by Charlaine Harris 7/19 ★★★
5. Egg Frying: Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs

Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2) by Sammi Carter Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) by Donna Andrews The Merlot Murders (Wine Country Mysteries #1) by Ellen Crosby Real Murders (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1) by Laura Childs

message 17: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments July Mini Challenge

5/5 DONE 7/22/11

July is National Ice Cream Month
With sooo many ice cream days falling this month, as well as national ice cream month, read a book that either shows ice cream on the cover, has a flavor of ice cream in the title, or someone eats ice cream somewhere in the book. Wither by Lauren DeStefano DONE 7/9/11

July 2- I Forgot Day
Read a book you've previously purchased, but forgot to read. Instead of reaching for the top of your TBR pile, reach for something lying forgotten on the bottom of it. The Cruelest Month: A Three Pines Mystery by Louise Penny DONE 7/22/11

July 11 - Cheer up the Lonely Day
Read a book that you've borrowed from someone else or was given to you, read a book to someone else (reading to your own family counts), or share a book with someone else. The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry DONE 7/8/11

July 13 -Embrace Your Geekness Day
Read a book where someone has a geeky type profession, or read a non-fiction book (to increase your geekness! lol) Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay DONE 7/14/11

If you have a picnic and read part of a book there, that counts. Or read a book showing a picnic on the cover, in the title (any words from the above picnic related holidays counts, so "pie" or "hotdog" in the title works), or any book where somewhere in the book there is a picnic. Matched by Ally Condie DONE 7/2/11

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano , The Cruelest Month A Three Pines Mystery (Three Pines Mysteries) by Louise Penny , The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7) by Steve Berry , Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay , Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie

message 18: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17329 comments Mod
I Forgot Day: Read a book you've previously purchased, but forgot to read. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (Also a group read for TNBBC here at GR)

Cheer up the Lonely Day: Read a book that you've borrowed from someone else Read five that qualify, one borrowed from my sister, and four from a friend:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost
First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost
Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost
This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

I do have one book in the TBR for National Ice Cream Day/Month, but doesn't look like I am going to get to it as planned.

message 19: by Valorie (new)

4/5 Done

2. I Forgot: Murder With Puffins by Donna Andrews 7/21 ★★★★
5. Egg Frying: Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs 7/27 ★★★

message 20: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Congrats to all the finishers this month! I'm eagerly awaiting next months challenge!!

5/5 Done Yay!

1. Ice Cream Flavor: Chocolate Dipped Death by Sammi Carter 7/29 ★★★★
2. I Forgot: Murder With Puffins by Donna Andrews 7/21 ★★★★
5. Egg Frying: Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs 7/27 ★★★

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments Finished several days ago, but was too lazy to post. lol

Ice Cream: Murder a la Mode
I Forgot: The Seven Dials Mystery
Cheer up the Lonely: Cream Puff Murder (lent to Mom) Also read
How I Spent My Summer Vacation to a class of preschoolers
Geekness: Lessons in Love
Picnic: Jane and the Man of the Cloth

Murder a la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10) by G.A. McKevett The Seven Dials Mystery (Agatha Christie Signature Edition) by Agatha Christie Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11) by Joanne Fluke How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Dragonfly Books) by Mark Teague Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1) by Charlie Cochrane Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2) by Stephanie Barron

message 22: by Nell (last edited Aug 04, 2011 02:46AM) (new)

Nell | 1154 comments National Ice Cream Month: Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews
I Forgot: Read eight M C Beaton Agatha Raisin mysteries that had been sitting on my bookshelf for more than a year:
Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham
Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden
Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death
Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came
Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell
Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam
Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate
Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House
Cheer Up the Lonely: I received Summer Rental from GR bookswap and sent 10 books through GR bookswap, including seven of the Agatha's listed above.

Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House (Agatha Raisin, #14) by M.C. Beaton

message 23: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Do we know if we are going to have a challenge for August? I'd be glad to help out if needed.

message 24: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Valorie wrote: "Do we know if we are going to have a challenge for August? I'd be glad to help out if needed."

I've also been looking out for it!

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7206 comments Finished July up last Friday. I had some trouble getting my geeky book from the library and had to do a last minute substitution since I couldn't just not do that challenge. Glad I did since I really liked that book.

National Ice Cream Month - The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up
I Forgot Day - Murder of a Botoxed Blonde
Cheer up the Lonely Day - False Premises
Embrace Your Geekness Day - The Sudoku Murder
Teddy Bear Picnic Day - Served Cold

The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3) by JoAnna Carl Murder of a Botoxed Blonde (A Scumble River Mystery, #9) by Denise Swanson False Premises (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #2) by Leslie Caine The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald Mystery, #1) by Shelley Freydont Served Cold (West Coast Crime) by Ed Goldberg

message 26: by Linda (last edited Aug 01, 2011 03:50PM) (new)

Linda B | 200 comments Do we know what happened to the August Challenge? If help is needed I am willing to help.

message 27: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
Finished in time, although updated a bit late

5 / 5

Mini Challenge (Read so much themes as you like)

July 7 - Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day : Scoop to Kill by Wendy Lyn Watson (07/26 - ★★★★) (The flavor she creates for the wedding)

July 2- I Forgot Day: I'll Be Slaying You by Cynthia Eden (07/02 - ★★★★)

July 11 - Cheer up the Lonely Day: The Chocolate Snowman Murders by JoAnna Carl (07/22 - ★★★★) (Given to me by an author through her mail list)

July 13 - Embrace Your Geekness Day: Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay (07/25 - ★★★★)

July 4 - Sidewalk Egg Frying Day: Eggs Benedict Arnold by Laura Childs (07/24 - ★★★★)

Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode #2) by Wendy Lyn Watson I'll Be Slaying You (Night Watch, #2) by Cynthia Eden The Chocolate Snowman Murders (Chocoholic Mystery, #8) by JoAnna Carl Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2) by Laura Childs

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 378 comments Finally finished. The stickler was the picnic and to my surprise there was a picnic in the book I just finished!

cozy july
Ice cream-- on cover, eaten, or a flavor in title. -- Espresso Shot
Forgotten TBR (been on list awhile). -- A Fall from Grace: A Novel of Suspense
Geek-- NF book -- Dean and Me:
Something with picnic, picnic food in title, or something I read part of on a picnic. -- The American Heiress

Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7) by Cleo Coyle A Fall from Grace A Novel of Suspense by Robert Barnard Dean and Me (A Love Story) by Jerry Lewis The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

message 29: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Jennifer wrote: "Finally finished. The stickler was the picnic and to my surprise there was a picnic in the book I just finished!

cozy july
Ice cream-- on cover, eaten, or a flavor in title. -- [book:Espresso Sho..."

I read DEAN & ME a few years ago and really liked it.