Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
This topic is about Abandon
Abandon discussions > Initial Thoughts (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Who's reading along? What do you think so far?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I've just started the book. So far I like it BUT I have a huge issue with Meg Cabot's writing style. She's not my favourite author and, unfortunately, the things I dislike about her writing are all too apparent in this book - at least in the first 50 pages.

I'll continue reading because I like the STORY even though I'm irritated by the way it's told.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

This was my first time reading Meg Cabot. I thought it was OK. People seem to really love her!

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Honestly I couldn't stand the whole Inferno quotes before each chapter. I just didn't really get them at all!

Sophia (thesophiachang) Grace wrote: "I've just started the book. So far I like it BUT I have a huge issue with Meg Cabot's writing style. She's not my favourite author and, unfortunately, the things I dislike about her writing are all..."

I hear you. I recognize her as a proficient and experienced writer, but somehow while I read it, I keep wondering, "Am I accidentally reading a sequel?"

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Sophia wrote: "I hear you. I recognize her as a proficient and experienced writer..."

The issue I have with Meg Cabot is the repetition. I realize that it's good to have some repetition - it builds suspense and suspense keeps the reader involved. But....Meg Cabot just takes it two or three steps too far. I felt as if I was being hit over the head with some of the points she was making. I prefer a more subtle approach.

I read several of the Princess Diary books and finally stopped in disgust. They kept covering the same ground and the story didn't progress very far.

I've tried a few other books in two other series and they're not too bad but I almost screamed from the repetition in Abandon and that was just the first book in the series.

Stephanie (stephsco) I also felt like I was reading a sequel a few times! The format of the storytelling is a little difficult, especially since I usually read several books at a time (e-reader, audio book etc). Everytime I pick this up again I have to back track a page or two to figure out what's happening.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stephanie wrote: "I also felt like I was reading a sequel a few times! The format of the storytelling is a little difficult, especially since I usually read several books at a time (e-reader, audio book etc). Everyt..."

You read more then one book at a time? Good for you! I never have been able to figure out how people do this!

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Meg's my favorite author, but I can understand your initial thoughts regarding this. Her approach in this book seemed different than her other ones. I felt like it was pretty slow and it was hard to relate to Pierce, but in the end I liked it.