Time Travel discussion

Picking Monthly Books - Archives > July-August 2011: Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Being a part of a very active group (Apocalypse Whenever), I've been finding myself wishing this one was as active. As such, I'd like to suggest a book club in which whoever would like to participate could read the same book at the same time.

Does anyone have title suggestions? I can make the suggestions up into a poll later for us to vote if there's any interest.

message 2: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I am so glad you asked. I have a few suggestions for you:

The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser
The Threshold by Marlys Millhiser
After the Fact by Fred Saberhagen
The Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore
Wayward Son by Tom Pollack
Time riders by Alex Scarrow
Into the Storm by Taylor Anderson
The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold

I have already read some of these books, but would love to re-read them for the group. Others I have had on my radar and have been waiting for an excuse to buy them. Hope this helps. I would also love to see this group become more active. Let me know what I can do to help.

message 3: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Jul 06, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
I'll suggest
There Will Be Time by Poul Anderson There Will Be Time by Poul Anderson (have read)
Time Patrol by Poul Anderson Time Patrol by Poul Anderson (haven't read)
The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sequel to H.G. Well's The Time Machine - haven't read)

message 4: by Bella (new)

Bella Street (bellastreet) | 2 comments The Time Machine by HG Wells. @Amy. I didn't know there was a sequel!

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy Taylor (sooguy) | 89 comments Amy wrote: "Being a part of a very active group (Apocalypse Whenever), I've been finding myself wishing this one was as active. As such, I'd like to suggest a book club in which whoever would like to participa..."

I would be up for this I have a HUGE Time Travel collection.

I'd vote for David Gerrold's the Man Who Folded Himself, but its fairly hard to get your hands on a copy.

message 6: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Jul 01, 2011 08:26PM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "I'd vote for David Gerrold's the Man Who Folded Himself, but its fairly hard to get your hands on a copy."

You can get the Kindle version for $2.99 at Amazon.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Taylor (sooguy) | 89 comments Good to know. I wonder if its the `revised` edition or the original text. He re-released a hard copy edition a few years back through a small press, but to the time to update some of the references to modernize the book. I found it off putting. I own both hard copies.

message 8: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "I wonder if its the `revised` edition or the original text."

It's hard to tell. Although I suspect it is probably the re-release. It says that it is the edition put out by BenBella Books, and was first released in June of 2003.

message 9: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Last chance to add a suggestion for the Time Travel book club before I add a poll tomorrow.

message 10: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
The poll is currently up on the group home page. We will have a run-off vote after the initial voting is complete (July 11th). If you would like to do a little research before your voting, direct links to each book are located in the first comment related to the poll.

message 11: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
It looks like the first book we'll be reading as a group is The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold. There are several places to buy it. FYI: The Kindle eBook version is available for $2.99.

message 12: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Jul 14, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Got my copy today. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 13: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Little bit of history here...First group read book EVER

message 14: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Lincoln wrote: "Little bit of history here...First group read book EVER"

I'm glad we kept going after that scary little book. Okay, some people really liked it. To each their own. :-) Were you reading with us back then, Lincoln?

message 15: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
This is one of the first time travel books I ever read because it was on a lot of top time travel lists. It wound up on my "things just got weird" list.

message 16: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "This is one of the first time travel books I ever read because it was on a lot of top time travel lists. It wound up on my "things just got weird" list."

Oh, yes. Things indeed got very weird. I get it but ... er ... uh ... yeah ... 1970s chicka-chicka-wow-wow weird.

message 17: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Digging through some really old posts...hope that's ok. I think drawing attention to older posts can do some good right?

I joined the group in April of 2012. So no I did not read this one.

message 18: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 426 comments I was reading through this post (which was not making much sense) before I realized it was for July-August 2011

Guess I did some time travelling!