Pick-a-Shelf discussion

ROAR - 2011 Challenge > 07 - July ROAR

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (last edited Jul 01, 2011 10:14PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8678 comments Mod
1. Mini SAT: Mini SAT: 50 points when you have read off the following 12 shelves (with 5 books or less):

fantasy
spirituality
nature
classic
classics
2000s
writing
children-s-literature
children-s-lit
childrens-picture-books
all-time-favorites

2. 30 points: Independence Day (US, Canada, and quite a few countries) & Bastille Day:
Read books about / set during revolutionary era (of any countries). Fiction examples: Chains - Seeds of America 1 by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy, etc

3. 30 points: Read around the world:
Read a book written by an author from or where it is mostly set in a country of your choosing but... your choice for this month is limited to a country where the first initial starts with the letters k, l, m, n, o

Use only this List of Countries for this challenge

4. 20 points: Read across generation:
Read 5 books published in the decades surrounding your birth - if you're looking for some suggestions: Books of the Century

The easiest to explain is by example, so if you were born in the 70's, read a book published in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's (total 5 books).

For 100 bonus points: Read books published during the year with the same last digit of your birth year, for example if you were born in 1977, then read books published in 1957, 1967, 1977, 1987, and 1997.

5. 20 points: New Seven Wonders of the World was announced on 07/07/2007. Choose 5 out of 7:

1. Great Wall of China, China: (fortification) read a book in connection with military / war
2. Petra, Jordan: (UNESCO has described it as "one of the most precious cultural properties of man's cultural heritage.") read a book in connection with civilization / culture
3. Christ the Redeemer, Brazil: (considered the second largest Art Deco statue in the world) read a book in connection with art
4. Machu Picchu, Peru: (brought to international attention in 1911) read a book in connection with exploration / archeology
5. Chichen Itza, Mexico: (Itzá in Spanish is often translated as "Brujas del Agua (Witches of Water)" but a more precise translation would be Magicians of Water) read a book in connection with magic / water
6. Collosseum, Italy: (ampitheatre originally for entertainment) read a book in connection with entertainment
7. Taj Mahal, India: (a symbol of eternal love) Read a love story

*"in connection" can mean set in a particular time (eg. war) / place (eg. lake) or main character being military person / witches / actors / etc etc etc...

message 2: by Tien (last edited Jul 16, 2011 04:46AM) (new)

Mid Month Challenge:

Go to: Explore --> Quote --> Friends tab:
"Quotes popular among my friends"

Have a browse on this page and pick a quote you like and for 40 points:
a. If the quote is linked to a book on this page, read that book; OR
b. If the quote is not linked to a book but only to an author, read a book written by that author OR read an auto/biographay or memoir on that author

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
I'm having trouble with the explanation for task # 4.

"The easiest to explain is by example, so if you were born in the 70's, read a book published in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 90's and the noughties (total 5 books). "

Is 70's really supposed to be in the list, and 80's not? Or is that a typo?

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments I like the new wonders of the world - I was lucky enough to go to Petra a few years ago - wow is all I can say...you walk throgh this long windy passage in the rock and it feels like its going to go forever and then you get to the end - the first thing you see is the big temple in the rock...

message 5: by Susan (new)

Another question/warning about task # 4.
The link to the books of the century is great! I can see lots of uses for it. But a book on that list was not necessarily published in the year it's listed. For example, I was considering Arch of Triumph for 1946, since it's a 1946 bestseller. But it was actually published in 1945. So everyone needs to be careful when using it.

Unless you want to amend the task to say the book was published in the given year OR appears on that list for the year :)

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/popular...

here is a good link for popular books by year - just change the year to reflect the one you are looking for

message 7: by Susan (new)

Natasha wrote: "Susan, I think it means don't read any books from the decade you were born it so I think it's a type. I think it works like this, if you were born in the 90s, don't read any books from the 90s. Re..."

Yeah, but the typo could've been the other way around, too (based on how the list under the bonus points reads). I think we need to wait for a ruling from Kazza.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments I read it as the decades surrounding, including yours..so you read 2 before, the one you were born in, and 2 after

message 9: by Christina's Book (last edited Jul 01, 2011 09:18AM) (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments by the look of the description on how to earn the bonus points, it looks to include the your decade. Doesn't make sense that the non bonus version would skip the whole decade while the other one doesn't. I was born in 1983. I can read 1963, 1973, 1983, 1993, 2003 or 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s

This is my understanding.

message 10: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments oh wow that's neat. I need to explore Goodreads some more. so many updates!

message 11: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Challenge 5 is like previous months' challenges right? Doesn't necessarily need to have anything to do the "New Seven Wonders." Those are just the inspiration for the type of books to read?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments yeah - so for Christ the Reedemer - you could read a book featuring an artist, about an artist, something like that

message 13: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments ok just making sure ;) Thank you :)

message 14: by Tien (new)

aah, oops!! Dee & Christina have got it right (re: #4)

Sorry!!!

message 15: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments good cause I've already picked them out! ;) haha

message 16: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Could the Civil War be considered a revoution? If the south would have won they would be their own country.

message 17: by Tien (new)

yeah, I'd say so...

message 18: by Lahni (last edited Jul 06, 2011 08:28AM) (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Thanks. It was listed on the Wikipedia rebellions list but I wanted to be sure.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments For Petra - a book set in a culture other than our own

message 20: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Dee wrote: "For Petra - a book set in a culture other than our own"

Ha ha! I looked all over trying to find the question Petra asked! I really need to go to bed!

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments lol..sorry Lahni... ;)

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Lahni wrote: "Dee wrote: "For Petra - a book set in a culture other than our own"

Ha ha! I looked all over trying to find the question Petra asked! I really need to go to bed!"

I did the same... :)

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments maybe I should re-phrase it...for the new Wonders of the world/Petra task....a book set in a culture other than our own ?? or could you clarify some more

message 24: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments it just has to be on the topics...like the first one (Great wall of China) the actual challenge is to read a book in connection with military/war. Doesn't have anything to do with China or another culture...just needs to relate to the military or war within the book.

message 25: by Tien (new)

oh, was msg 22 a question? oops... i was wondering if you were responding to someone but I couldn't find the original question, lol...

It doesn't have to be a culture other than our own - just as long as the book deals with some sort of culture. For example: The Kite Runner is completely immersed in Afghan culture.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments that's what I thought...just wanted to check...that was the hardest one for me to figure...but the book i'm reading right now is set in Nigeria and heavily about their culture

message 27: by Susan (new)

Mid-month challenge isn't posted? I've gotten spoiled by the fact that the moderators live in Australia, and am used to finding it here every 15th when I wake up in the middle of the U.S.

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments i know...I was just checking as well...heck, its been the 15th in australia for nearly a day ;)

message 29: by Tien (new)

Big Oops! Sorry, guys.. I remembered the day before and then completely totally forgot all about it until 10 mins ago and I jumped out of bed (it's 9:30pm here) to do it.

Can you believe I've been sick again this week? Tummy bug this time around *bbleargh* (yeah, I know, excuses!! :p) - I am better today though, just a little bit tired still :)

So enjoy the mid month challenge!!

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Most of the quotes were from Dr. Suess... Could I use one of his books since the Mini-SAT has picture books as a category?

message 31: by Tien (new)

yes, you can :)

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Tara wrote: "Most of the quotes were from Dr. Suess... Could I use one of his books since the Mini-SAT has picture books as a category?"

Good question! I was coming here to ask the same thing :)

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments for revolution - 2 questions - what about a revolution in a future country that was once a real one - like The Hunger Games (specifically Mockingjay) because there is a revolution against the captitol

or 2. the overthrowing of a gov't in a coup - or do you want a full-blown revolution

message 34: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Question: For "entertainment", can that include books about/by entertainers? For example Bossypants or Seriously... I'm Kidding?

message 35: by Tien (new)

Dee wrote: "for revolution - 2 questions - what about a revolution in a future country that was once a real one - like The Hunger Games (specifically Mockingjay) because there is a revolution against the capti..."

preferably a "real" revolution so no futuristic / dystopian fiction.

and no, it doesn't have to be a full-blown revolution, it could just be set around the revolution (that is, just before or just after to show the pre- & post- conditions)

message 36: by Tien (new)

Vivian wrote: "Question: For "entertainment", can that include books about/by entertainers? For example Bossypants or Seriously... I'm Kidding?"

Yes, they'd work

message 37: by Susan (new)

Kazza wrote: "preferably a "real" revolution so no futuristic / dystopian fiction."

Oops. Your answer raises questions about two I'd used, which I had thought fulfilled the requirements. Maybe I need a ruling about them.

Artichoke Tales was one. A serious, multi-generational civil war/revolution is the foundation of the entire book, really. But it's fantasy, not real ("in a world that echoes our own, but whose people have artichoke leaves instead of hair"). Do I need to go back and replace that one? I had read it in September, and taken shelf-of-the-month credit for it.

The same question might be raised about Grandville, an alternate history steampunk fiction in which Britain had lost the Napoleanic wars, and is now fighting for its independence from France.

message 38: by Tien (new)

oh no, I was hoping the 2 examples I gave with the task would sort of give an idea of what I meant but, I see I wasn't specific enough...

However, if you've read the book (that includes you, Dee, if you've read Mockingjay) and claim the points already then that's fine but as of now, only 'real' countries & 'real' revolution please :)

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments works for me - I hadn't claimed it because I wanted to clarify but I will now ;)

message 40: by Susan (new)

Thanks, Kazza. I seem to manage to come up with a million comfusions and/or complicated questions. I really appreciate all the work you do to put the challenges together, and then answer all our questions on top of it.

message 41: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Kazza wrote: "Vivian wrote: "Question: For "entertainment", can that include books about/by entertainers? For example Bossypants or Seriously... I'm Kidding?"

Yes, they'd work"

Great, thanks.

message 42: by Amy (last edited Dec 26, 2011 09:12AM) (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Need a ruling on category 2. I am reading There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children for other tasks. This book takes place over a number of years, including those where the dictatorial government of Ethiopia is overthrown. Would this count as a revolutionary era?

If not, how about City of Shadows: A Novel of Suspense which takes place in Germany as Hitler is rising to power. It also focuses on the murder of the Romanov family in Russia, which was part of the Russian Revolution.