The Secret Garden The Secret Garden question

How does your garden grow?
Robert Robert Jun 30, 2011 07:24PM
Hey Guys,

I hope that this last book was not too contrary of a read and I can personally say that the Yorkshire accents (as complicated as they were written) was an enjoyable change of pace compared to our notoriously depressing previous books. At the same time though, the character of Mary is not all that different when compared to Mahfouz’s Said or Camus' Meursault. She is an outsider initially, both physically and emotionally, but finds her place in her new surroundings as she finds happiness tucked into that mansion outside the moor.

We have seen how important narrative perspective can be in the creation of a novel, what are your thoughts on that aspect of this story?

Also, even from the beginning the perceptions of the people surrounding Mary that are cast in a way by the narrator which are very striking. What effect does this have on the novel as a whole and how we view the individual characters within it?

I love how it really made it seem real. Like I myself was the one that was reading it. I didn't like the book as a whole but it did have good writing and I think the narrative affected the novel for the better

My teacher read this book to our class when I was in 2nd grade. I remember being on the edge of my seat when she read about Mary hearing the voices in the night and when she finally discovered what they were.

I loved how Mary didn't let Colin intimidate her. In her childishness, money and prestige didn't influence her. Colin has been spoiled by the servants' pity, but Mary didn't pity him, she saw him for what he was--a spoiled, complaining boy.

Dickon, too, saw Mary and Colin for what they were--two lonely, needy children and even though Dickon's family was poor, he saw himself rich in love and affection from his family.

Mrs. Sowerby was a very sensible woman who rasied sensible children--of which we meet Martha and Dickon.

BTW: One of my favorite episodes of which I still quote grandly is when Colin invited Mr. Roach to his room to tell him that he is going out and not to let anyone stare at him. He dismisses Mr. Roach with an airy wave of his hand, "You have my permission to go, Roach," he said...

Degeorgetown I always laughed in the movie version where he says something like "I have spoken. All depart." Lol it's just so arrogant. ...more
Apr 04, 2012 06:33PM · flag