Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > Vote results for July!!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments I can't believe how close the votes were!! Over 90 people voted, our largest turnout yet, and the titles were truly neck and neck! Because the top three were only 1-3 votes away from each other and over 25 people voted for each of them, I really debated what to do. I decided to list the top three books:
The House of Seven Gables
Wuthering Heights
The Three Muskateers

You can read the one you voted for, your favorite two, or even all three!! There was an interest in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, but the votes were not as high, so maybe we will re-nominate it in August.

Please remember, you can always go back and read books from our shelf and post comments. Don't feel rushed or pressured to finish all of the books within a month. Books are meant to be read and enjoyed for pleasure, so enjoy and post at your leisure! :-)
I all post separate threads for the three books. Enjoy!!!

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess sweet! i'm excited to get started on the house of the seven gables. this will be my first read of the book--and with this group.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (spkhoney) | 14 comments Trisha wrote: "I can't believe how close the votes were!! Over 90 people voted, our largest turnout yet, and the titles were truly neck and neck! Because the top three were only 1-3 votes away from each other a..."

I can't wait to get started. I voted for Gables, but think I'll start Wuthering Heights first.

message 4: by Silver (new)

Silver | 102 comments I have already read Wurthering Hieghts and Three Museketerrs but I have been wanting to read House of Seven Gables for a long time.

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel Fouch (melfouch) Trisha wrote: "I can't believe how close the votes were!! Over 90 people voted, our largest turnout yet, and the titles were truly neck and neck! Because the top three were only 1-3 votes away from each other a..."

That's a really good idea as there's clearly a lot of interest in all three.

Personally I voted for The House of Seven Gables so I'll go for that one. I've started Wuthering Heights a couple of times and could never get past the first few chapters, so although I'm tempted to give it another shot and see if I can do better reading it as part of a group I'm going to play it safe.

I might check up on the discussions for it though and see if that inspires me to give it another shot.

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) I read all four books and loved 3 (liked the other). I would love to reread Musketeers as I read it over 30 years ago. I'd read WH again; have twice. But, I think I will take up the idea and go back a few months and read on I haven't yet. Need to finish Scarlet Pimpernel 1st. Hope everyone's lovin' Les Miz--one of the best of all time!

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 18 comments I began House of Seven Gables for my first ever time through it...love the way it is written. The reason the classics are so appealing to me is the way these authors expressed ideas with such eloquence...sentences so rich that you read them over and over to just get the "flavor" of them.

message 8: by David (new)

David Clark (eriepiper) | 2 comments Great, have all three downloaded onto my Nook and starting with Hawthorne today!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Decisions, decisions...love both The House of Seven Gables and Wuthering Heights but haven't read Three Musketeers yet. I've just started Les Miserables so I'm not sure I want to go with another large French novel. But, hey...maybe I will anyway! Will try to work in all three somehow...

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) Yay! I'm so excited!

message 11: by Lisa Hudecek (new)

Lisa Hudecek I'm going to start with Hawthorne. I've been to Salem and saw the inspiration for the book. Just downloaded it on my Nook. Here we go with my first book club!

message 12: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 0 comments I'm reading Les Mis to so I agree that Three Musketeers might be a bit much to read as well. So since I have already read Wuthering Heights, I will read House of the Seven Gables.

message 13: by Betsy (new)

Betsy all 3 look great!

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise Orand | 2 comments Very excited! Nice to see so much interest in a variety of books. I voted for the Three Musketeers, but may read one of the others as well.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) Lisa wrote: "I'm going to start with Hawthorne. I've been to Salem and saw the inspiration for the book. Just downloaded it on my Nook. Here we go with my first book club!"

I wasn't too interested in House of Seven Gables, but you just reminded me that I've been to the house that inspired it too. Maybe I will read it if I have time :)

message 16: by Mae (new)

Mae (maethorn) | 53 comments I think since there is so much interest in all three books maybe we should lengthen the time for them into August?

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 18 comments I like that idea.

message 18: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments That sounds like a good idea, that will give people plenty of time to read their faves, plus anything they might have on the side :-)

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) I second that. If I remember correctly the Three Musketeers is a longer book, too. I was wondering how I would fit it in with the other books I want to read in July (although it's at the top of my list behind Wuthering Heights).

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 17 comments I like that idea too. I'm planning on reading both The Three Musketeers and The House of Seven Gables so I could use some extra time. I've also been wondering how I could fit them in with my other July reads. Pleasant problem to have though!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.