Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's busy June

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments The Cleveland Creep: Les Roberts
After about 5 years of hiatus, a new Milan Jacovitch. I was sure this was to be the swan song, he had aged the character in real time to close to 60,
but it seems that the last of Milan Jacovitch will be the last of Milan Jacovitch, when he closes his eyes for the last time in the last book. It was good to have him back chasing a missnig person with his new apprentice, and finding once again that nothing is as it seems. (A-)

Carte Blanche: Jeff Deaver
Yet another author tackles Bond, and Deaver leaves much of his usual style behind in an effort to do Bond justice. Still, the tale has some complication that would only come from Deaver, not that it is a bad thing. We have our usual megalomaniac villain and gorgeous women, But I had difficulty putting Danial Craig, or even Sean Connery, in the role. (B)

Against All Enemies: Tom Clancy
A co-written novel, and more the worse for it. Clancy has also succumbed to the high tech spy novel, and I will think long and hard before buying another one. (B-)

A Fine and Bitter Snow: Dana Stabenow
Took a long time for this one to get going, and again, I was reminded of Nevada Barr in the presentation of the story. Eventually, somebody got killed, and Kate had a murder to solve. (B)

Enemy Within: Robert Tanenbaum
A familiar theme, corruption in the institutions we rely on to keep us safe and within the law. Tanenbaum artfully involves his protagonist in righting some wrongs, even if he has to do some wrongs to make things right. Meanwhile, his wife is going off the deep end after blaming herself for the deaths of employees and clients. (B+)

Absolute Rage: Robert Tanenbaum
Tanenbaum changes location here, for the second time in the series, moving the action to rural West Virginia where Karp is to be a special prosecutor in a labor dispute. His wife is already there (these books rely heavily on coincidence) and his daughter’s new boyfriend is involved in Marlene’s case. In short, Karp is more the wielder of the law than ever, Marlene more the criminal than ever, and the sheer amount of loose ends at the end of the book will compell me to read the next one in the series. Good thing I already have it. (B+)

Resolved: Robert Tanenbaum
I could not let the suspense of the previous novel wait, so I read the next, even knowing that he never reveals all, and while enjoying the mystery, the lives of the main characters keeep lurching closer and closer to disaster. (B+)

Soul of the Assassin: Larry Bond
Yet another series is dead in my eyes. Larry Bond was one of the great techno writers, but like so many others has devolved into the high tech spy genre. (B-)

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I feel the same way about Clancy - Dead or Alive was the last for me. Interesting comments about Deaver's authoring of Bond. I'm curious enough to try it.

message 3: by Melodie (last edited Jun 30, 2011 04:06PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I had ordered THE CLEVELAND CREEP on Amazon and then cancelled it. Looks like I should have gone ahead and gotten it!! I do love Milan!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Barry: I must get to the new Milan Jacovitch book soon too. I loved the ones I read years ago.
Barry wrote: "The Cleveland Creep: Les Roberts
After about 5 years of hiatus, a new Milan Jacovitch. I was sure this was to be the swan song, he had aged the character in real time to close to 60, ... "

message 5: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Barry wrote: "The Cleveland Creep: Les Roberts
After about 5 years of hiatus, a new Milan Jacovitch. I was sure this was to be the swan song, he had aged the character in real time to close to 60,
but it seem..."

Busy month!
I gave up on Clancy many years ago when he began pushing his books that tied into video games that are sold. I also don't like that many co-author books.
Larry Bond's early books were terrific reads, but I haven't read his later ones.