Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > How To Flirt With A Naked Werewolf [Buddy Read]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments I've opened this folder for discussions on the book How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper.

Lisa and I are going to buddy read this book in July (from the PIFM challenge). Anyone is welcome to join us :)

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Lisa - I should be right to start this book in about a week - probably next Friday...

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wadsworth (djtjmom) | 78 comments I will get it this weekend and we can plan to start it next weekend...thanks!

message 4: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Jane and Lisa, KarenH and I will also love to join the buddy read(the more the merrier, right?). Unfortunately, I can make it only after 14th. Would it be possible for you guys to start the buddy read on say, 15th? If you can't, I totally understand.

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Fun! Group read!

I can wait... I'll just juggle my books... :)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wadsworth (djtjmom) | 78 comments That works for me also...gives me more time to start on the "other" books in my July stack...

message 7: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Yay! Thanks guys :) So let's fix the dates tentatively as 15th July (Friday) for now?

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 22353 comments I was reading (listening to actually) this as sort of a filler between my June books and my July books. I would love to join the discussion when you start it! I'm almost half done and am enjoying it so far!

message 9: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Great MountainKat - jump on in when we start :)

Right - 15 July is our start date :)

message 10: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I got this as a book rec and I just requested it from the library...if I get it by the 15th, I'll also join you!

message 11: by Stormy (new)

Stormy | 144 comments I requested this from the library this month, too. So if I get it on time, I will join the buddy read as well!

message 12: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments What fun! Big group read!! Mandy is also joining us...

message 13: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Erm, Brenda is also joining us for the group read.

message 14: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) I would like to join you for this group read.

message 15: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 05, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Cool. We're starting on 15 July. (MountainKat will poke her nose in...)

Readers are:
me
Lisa
Mandy
Vi
KarenH
MountainKat (nose poke)
DG
Kerste
Brenda
Tugce
Daffodil
...and anyone else who wants to!

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (laxwife9) I can't wait to start Naked Werewolf!
Thank you all for letting me join in this buddy read!!

message 17: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7828 comments I'm looking forward to it too!

message 18: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 1058 comments I'd like to join too. I just checked it out from the library and haven't started it yet.

message 19: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments 'Triffic Daffodil. We're starting on 15 July :)

message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I got the notice from the library that Naked Werewolf is ready to be picked up. Woohoo! So I will definitely be ready to start on the 15th. :)

message 21: by D.G. (last edited Jul 13, 2011 06:09AM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Ok, I got my book and I'm ready to get started on the 15th.

So how are we going to do the buddy read? I know some people like to read a set number of pages a day while others prefer to just comment when they have something to say.

I'm fine either way so I'll leave it to the discretion of Lisa and Jane as they were the ones that set up the thread. :)

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wadsworth (djtjmom) | 78 comments I am game either way..

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments I consulted with my discretion, and it felt we should just comment when we have something to say :). This is mostly because it knows that I can be unpredictable in my reading patterns. ...But I really don't mind. ;)

message 24: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) I used to prefer to read at my own pace and comment when I have something to say but then I had 2 buddy reads with discussion questions etc and I really enjoyed that as well. Although I am not sure if this book is suitable for that kind of pattern so I am game either way...

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments Why not have both. If you want to read a set number of pages each day - then ppl can do that. The commenters can just chip in as they go, so long as spoilers are hidden if they have progressed further than the set page readers...

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments If we have set pages per day - what is the norm? I haven't buddy-read this way...

message 27: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments BTW - Fran and Tina are joining us as well :)

message 28: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Usually, in the buddy reads I've participated in, they have a set of an agreed num of pages/chapters listed say, 50 pgs per day. Then they all take a turn to post questions/discuss.

So are we doing it both ways?

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments I think we should have the option to go either way...

We have about 12 readers at this stage... There are 370+ pages - so 50 pages per day would take a week...

message 30: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7828 comments I'm going to be listening to the audio version, and page numbers don't exactly translate very easily to audio. I don't think it will make any difference though, because I have some rather mind-numbing chores planned around home this weekend that pretty much require audiobook accompaniment, so I'm sure I'll be ahead of that pace. I'll just keep any spoiler type comments to myself until it looks like the bulk of the group have reached that particular point in the book.

I'm really looking forward to this - both because I'm anxious to read the book, and also because the discussion should be fun! :)

message 31: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 22353 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "I'm going to be listening to the audio version, and page numbers don't exactly translate very easily to audio."

I am going to start the audio book over again, for two reasons - one so I can actually remember what happened and what was going on and two so I can count it for the July challenges! =) I'm looking forward to the discussion too! Perhaps if you use chapters instead of page numbers? I almost never stop reading in the middle of a chapter anyway.

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 14, 2011 11:47PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments 371 pages / 23 chapters

So looking through the book, how about this for the chapter/page readers -

1. Chapters 1-4: 65 pages
2. Chapters 5-8: 65 pages
3. Chapters 9-11: 49 pages
4. Chapters 12-13: 53 pages
5. Chapters 14-17: 52 pages
6. Chapters 18-20: 51 pages
7. To the end: 36 pages

I allocated more pages to Friday/Saturday... :)

Is seven days too long?

If everyone else wants to do the read this way, I'm happy to conform (to the best of my ability)... I'll have problems reading large chunks on Monday through to Wednesday, but I can catch up on Thursday... which is pretty much a day ahead of the rest of you anyway :)

message 33: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments So a general question: How are you all going to read the book? At one go or by chapters?

message 34: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) I will stick with the chapters if anyone else is doing that way...

message 35: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I can read by chapters as well.

I have other two books going on so I can always go to them once I reach the maximum allotment for this book. :)

message 36: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I can read by chapters as well.

I have other two books going on so I can always go to them once I reach the maximum allotment for this book. :)

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wadsworth (djtjmom) | 78 comments I am willing to read by chapters also..I am looking forward to starting this book!

message 38: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I already started...around 30 pgs. in. :)

I should finish the 35 remaining pages in my commute back home. :)

message 39: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Since it's late here already, I will finish today's also tomorrow. Happy reading folks.

message 40: by Stormy (new)

Stormy | 144 comments I will most likely not be on this schedule since I have to snatch/create reading time out of thin air. I will make the deadline, but I cannot stick to the schedule. Just juggling too many balls to stick to a schedule. Looking forward to hearing everyone's comments, however, and sharing my own.

message 41: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I am terrible at reading just a couple chapters at a time. I tend to read a book in a sitting or two. Ahem. I may have started reading before checking here for a reading schedule. I've read about 150 pages.

message 42: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11271 comments OK, I've got my book ready. I will probably start tonight but the weekend is hard for me because of my kids' sports schedules, so I will probably go at my own pace and poke my head in. Tina is joining in as well, but I'm not sure when she's starting.

Happy Reading!

message 43: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments OK - so we have a mix of 'chapter readers' vs 'comments as you go'. Pick whichever you prefer. If the general commenters could make sure any spoilers are hidden, that would be great :)

message 44: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20715 comments I've now read 46 pages, so I'll go through to the end of Day 2 today... (It's Saturday here.) Have to say, I'm enjoying it, so far. Love the view of Mo's parents! :)

message 45: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I was behind but now I'm up to date (I think.)

What do you guys think of the humor? I'm liking it that it's not over the top like other humorous paranormals I've read. A few things have made me chuckle.

I'm not sure I'm digging Cooper...he's being a big A-hole.

message 46: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I'm at chapter 8. Oh me too. I was thinking, maybe they'd be knocking at her door at a really good time! :P

So far, I'm liking the plot and the characters. And also Alaska as portrayed by Harper.

How are you all doing?

message 47: by D.G. (last edited Jul 16, 2011 06:26PM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Yes, the portrait of Alaska has been really interesting. It's almost as if Alaska is a character in itself.

I'm also liking that the characters are quirky but not over the top. I'm not much for books set in small towns - I find that they tend to be all very similar - but the situation with so many men and so few women makes for different dynamic and different situations than what you find in those books.

message 48: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7828 comments I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far also. Some of the one-liners have had me laughing out loud, yet it doesn't have the over-the-top slapstick type humor that often turns me off.

I have relatives that are transplants from Florida to Alaska, and knowing what they went through their first winter up there, I really appreciate some of the descriptions of what Mo is dealing with.

I haven't really formed an opinion about Cooper yet, he's been a jerk so far, but I'm beginning to see signs of improvement (and reasons for the jerkiness), so I'm reserving judgement for now.

message 49: by Stormy (new)

Stormy | 144 comments I'm not quite to chapter 7 yet, but I'm enjoying the story so far. I like the quaint and even not so quaint characters and the setting. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

message 50: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "I have relatives that are transplants from Florida to Alaska, and knowing what they went through their first winter up there, I really appreciate some of the descriptions of what Mo is dealing with. "

I cannot imagine living in such a cold climate. But what do I know...I was born and bred in the Caribbean...even the winters in NYC is too much for me.

« previous 1