Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > LF New UF Series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Jul 01, 2011 04:41PM) (new)

Jessica | 72 comments I'm looking for new UF series to get obsessed over. Something along the lines of Karen Chance or Ilona Andrews. Here are some of my favorites...

Cassandra Palmer
Dorina Basarab
Kate Daniels
The Edge
Night Huntress
Mercedes Thompson
Dark Swan
Georgina Kincaid
Elemental Assassin
Fever
Dark Days
Black London
Guild Hunter
Sookie Stackhouse
Chicagoland Vampires
Sabina Kane
Alex Craft
The Disillusionists
Persephone Alcmedi
Hunter Kiss

I prefer UF with a little romance to PNR. I'm not so crazy about YA or gratuitous sex, somewhere in the middle of those. Sex is okay, I just prefer it not to be there solely for the sake of being there. Fey, vamps, shifters, mages, witches, gods, demons... I love them all. I've been looking but can't seem to find anything that appeals. I'd really appreciate any recommendations anyone can give :)

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) I think you've hit most of the ones I know - haven't read it but have you tried Jane Yellowrock? Skinwalker or the World of Lupi? A bit more on the mystical side is Allyson's James series that starts with Stormwalker or the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 72 comments I've had Jane Yellowrock in my TBR for a while and for some reason can't seem to work up to reading it. I'm going to check out World of the Lupi though. I had seen the name of the series before and assumed it was more PNR than UF. Stormwalker looks promising too, thanks :)

message 4: by ~Jennifer~ (new)

~Jennifer~ (book_addiction) Some that I like that you don't have listed (unless I missed 'em):

Stacia Kane -- Downside Ghosts series
Lilith Saintcrow -- Dante Valentine series
Seanan Maguire -- October Daye series

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
The World of the Lupi isn't PNR. It revolves around a couple of central characters rather than different couples every book. Its a really good series. Cravings has the short story that basically "starts" the series--altho only ONE Of the main characters is in it. It just sets the world up and explains a little back story that doesn't get addressed (except by the character who is in this story later not understanding how something happened, but knowing that he SHOULD know) Then there is an additional short story set in the Lupi World series in Inked--this one is contemporary with the 4th book in the Lupi series.

Er--can you guess who is a dedicated fan????

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) ummm, I dunno...u? lol!

I also picked up Magic to the Bone the other day which looks interesting...I think its in the UF realm

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 72 comments Sounds good, I prefer when a relationship isn't crammed into one book. It usually makes it seem forced or has the relationship take up the entire book, sucking up all the room for anything else to happen. I like for the main characters in my books to have some sort of romance going in the background, or even one that ties well into the storyline. But I tend to get bored if the mushy stuff is all that's going on lol!

message 8: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) World of the Lupi is one of my favorites....it sounds like exactly what you're looking for!

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison  (gatormommy) | 80 comments Psy/Changeling by Nalini Singh is a great series...very different. I think it's more UF than PNR. There is sex in there but nothing outrageous and the storylines are awesome.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 72 comments I've actually read that one. It strikes me as a little more PNR than UF, mostly because the "one couple per book" style makes the romance the main story.

That's one of the few I consider to be PNR that I really got hooked on though lol! I read Kiss of Snow the day it came out. There were a couple of books in the series that I really didn't care for (Clay and whatsherface's book I think), but overall I really enjoyed it. I think Kiss of Snow is my new favorite, followed by Caressed by Ice.

I just didn't include it on my list because I usually don't care much for that set up. I've read BDB, which I liked at first but really seems to be going down the drain. I also liked some of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter books, but again not all of them. Acheron nearly killed me though. What I wouldn't give for my own Ash! I tried to read Midnight Breed, The Carpathians, and some others that I can't remember the names of. I just couldn't get into them. Nalini Singh does an exceptional job of fitting an entire romance into one book that most authors in the genre don't seem to be able to pull off... in my opinion of course :)

message 11: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Laine (aimee_laine) | 49 comments Dee mentioned Magic to the Bone. I would say it's much more UF than PNR. :) And it's a pretty long series (that's just book 1).

message 12: by Lizbeth (new)

Lizbeth (LizbethReads) | 34 comments Ooooh I'm in the same boat as you.--

Wait. You haven't read The Hollows books by Kim Harrison? The first one is called Dead Witch Walking and I highly recommend them. Seems like we have really similar tastes. The first book is a little hard to get through ( much like the first Kate Daniels book, it was hard to get in to her world and all the changes etc. )

I don't see these books mentioned enough, they have awesome characters, exciting plots and a great sense of humor. Plus there are NINE of them and they are all good.

message 13: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn A few favourite UF series (first book posted).

Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1) by Jocelynn Drake

message 14: by ൠSinful (new)

ൠSinful  (sinful) | 118 comments If you want to check out my shelves, there are 138 books in the UF category.

I noticed Riley Jensen isn't up there or Kitty...
If we aren't friends yet,just ping me and I'll add you.