Clean Reads discussion

Kathryn Stockett
This topic is about Kathryn Stockett
Clean Reads Book Club > July 2011-The Help

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet | 50 comments Mod
Our winner was The Help by Kathryn Stockett by Kathryn Stockett. I hope we will get lots of participation, we had almost 30 voters!
We had a better discussion when we had a set reading schedule, so I will post a schedule and folders for this book.
I know July is busy with vacations and kids out of school. This is a 500 pg. book, anyone foresee any problems finishing by the end of the month? (My library had 86 holds, but over 100 copies, hopefully you all can find it easily. Costco was loaded w/ copies @$10.)

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 7 comments This is probably not what I would call a "clean read" but it was worth reading. Although it's a long book, it's a very quick read. In the way of warning, there was a constant smattering of bad language throughout. Also, one scene of male nudity/etc. Among other things. It definitely deals with some heavy issues. It wasn't so bad that I put it down. I really liked the characters and the story and the writing. Enjoy!

My sister has a great website with detailed reviews.... check this out...
http://www.squeakycleanreads.com/2/po...

Here's a piece of the review from her website for The Help:
Content Review:

VIOLENCE: Few mild and some strong instances

PROFANITY: Mild throughout

SEXUAL CONTENT: Few mild and some strong instances

MATURE THEMES: Moderate to Strong throughout

RECOMMENDED AGE GROUP: 21+

There is quite a bit of language filtered through. It's not so much that it's overbearing, but it is definitely there. There are no ‘rated R’ words. There are a lot of horrible racial slurs and crude references. There is one awful scene with a miscarriage that was a bit grotesque. And one scene where a naked man attacks a house of some women that really made me squirm. That part became a bit brutal (not the man, but the woman who beats him! Ha!) Much of the violence is not just physical, but mental. There are a lot of mature themes such as drunks and abuse, racial prejudice, cancer, loneliness, loss of loved ones, hate crimes (including shootings, hangings, slander, beatings), etc. Well written, even if it’s not entirely clean. Worth the read. I would recommend this for 21+ because of the themes and content.

message 3: by Janet (last edited Jul 03, 2011 04:11PM) (new)

Janet | 50 comments Mod
Jen, I appreciate your input. My memory of this book has been filtered by time and my overall impression. I found it to be very worthwhile, and I, like your sister, gave it a (rare) 5 stars.
I did look through the book, and there are a few more mild profanities than I remembered. Not every chapter, but an occassional word.
The story is about race relations in the 60's in the south. Mature themes are to be expected.
Most of the violence is in the world around the characters, such as race riots and the death of Medger Evers, but one character lives in an abusive household, and while we never see any of the abuse, we do see the results.
The book is written in different dialects, depending on who is speaking. In reading some of the reviews, some readers didn't like this. I enjoyed it a lot. But it does take some getting used to. And they use the vernacular of the time and place, including use of the n word.
I do not remember any sexual content in the book at all, not even between husband and wife. There was one character that dressed provocatively.
There is the scene of the man who exposes himself. It is important to the story, (I hope we can discuss this when we read) and is handled, for the most part, with restraint. That character that is the voice for this section isn't as ladylike as I am, and uses a couple of cruder words than I would like, but it is true to her character.
Overall, other than a few mild profanities, maybe 2 or 3 crude words, there isn't anything I would change in this book. I would have let any of my kids read it at 18. But we each have our own boundaries, so if any of you have concerns that this book may not be for you, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet | 50 comments Mod
Okay, I have finally had a few minutes to put together a reading schedule. Sorry, this has been a very hectic month for our family.
Week One July 3-9 Chapters 1-8, pages1-130
Week Two July 10-16 Chapters 9-17, pgs 131-268
Week Three July 17-23 Chapters 10-25, pgs 269-391
Week Four July 24-30 Chapters 26-34, pgs 393-530
I am interested to know who will be reading with us this month, so pls take just a minute to post and let us know you are here.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments thanks for the reading schedule! I'll be reading along and will try to comment. I've read this before - REALLY enjoyed it. This time I think I'm going to check out the audio book and listen to it. I've heard the audio book was well done. Happy reading!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Help (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kathryn Stockett (other topics)