My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands My Horizontal Life discussion

One Night Stands...

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Lauren So - anyone care to share their own story! HAHAHA... I have a good one, nothing that I would want to post on the internet though!!!

message 2: by Karen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Karen Germain just wanted to say that I read this book on a plane ride last year and I almost shot soda out of my nose. I was laughing out loud throughout the entire thing.

I have plenty of stories to tell, but I'm not sharing either!!!

message 3: by Duc (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - added it

Duc I have two night-stands and they are both next to my bed at all times.

message 4: by Libertine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Libertine I've got a blog full of my one night stands....

Chip'sBookBinge I've usually had a long day by the time night rolls around. Why would I try to stand when it's night time.

Tracy Love Chelsea. Hate the book.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy I've had to read 2 of her books for my book club. I'm not a prude by any means, but some things people should keep private. I don't want to hear about how drunk she gets and how many people she slept with. I can never unread the first chapter of Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang - why let the world know you were a masterbating-addicated 11 year old? Yuck.

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam If you like this, I suggest you try Tucker Max's "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell." It's way funnier and more outrageous, mostly because he's a more literate writer. Just the way he phrases this stuff is so funny.

Tori Amy wrote: "I've had to read 2 of her books for my book club. I'm not a prude by any means, but some things people should keep private. I don't want to hear about how drunk she gets and how many people she sle..."

Were you familiar with her comedy before you read her books?

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam Tori wrote: "Amy wrote: "I've had to read 2 of her books for my book club. I'm not a prude by any means, but some things people should keep private. I don't want to hear about how drunk she gets and how many pe..."

No, I wasn't. I was intrigued by the title. I found one essay genuinely funny, the rest not so funny. The humorist I really adore is Dave Sedaris except for his most recent books with stories about animals. Way too violent, believe it or not.

message 11: by Tori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tori Pam wrote: "No, I wasn't. I was intrigued by the title. I found one essay genuinely funny, the rest not so funny. The humorist I really adore is Dave Sedaris except for his most recent books with stories about animals. Way too violent, believe it or not."

Yeah, Chelsea is pretty raunchy, so I can understand how her stuff might be overwhelming if you're not prepared for it.

I haven't read Sedaris' newer stuff, but even some of his older stuff makes me feel almost guilty, just for reading it.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Tori wrote: "Amy wrote: "I've had to read 2 of her books for my book club. I'm not a prude by any means, but some things people should keep private. I don't want to hear about how drunk she gets and how many pe..."

No, I had never seen her comedy. Maybe I would have been less repulsed if I was familiar with her? There were a couple funny parts, but I was grossed out by a lot.

message 13: by Ashley (last edited Jan 09, 2012 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley Pam wrote: "If you like this, I suggest you try Tucker Max's "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell." It's way funnier and more outrageous, mostly because he's a more literate writer. Just the way he phrases this stu..."

I have read all of her books, and I have also read " I hope they serve beer in Hell" and it just didnt get me the same way. It actually took me awhile to get through it. Only some of teh stories I thought were funny.... have you seen the movie?

message 14: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena I don't think anyone would like this book if they don't like her comedy stuff. She's pretty raunchy on the show, and she pushes it into gross-out humor sometimes. That's her style, and I can see how some people would be offended or turned off by it. I think she's hilarious.

Hannah I freaking love her stories and also unlike other people she has the balls to tell her stories and not care what anybody thinks of her. So i think shes great, i find all her stories hilarious!

Chip'sBookBinge Hannah wrote: "I freaking love her stories and also unlike other people she has the balls to tell her stories and not care what anybody thinks of her. So i think shes great, i find all her stories hilarious!"

What Hannah said.

Kristi Lavenduski Her stand up is hilarious, and I actually got this book at her show, so they seemed to go hand in hand. There are some shocking scenarios, which I believe adds to the humor. Great laugh!

Jennifer-Crystal Johnson I thought this book was hilarious... I'm not very funny, but I love to laugh and am accustomed to inappropriateness....

I've never watched her show, but I can definitely appreciate the one night stand stories. There's a lot to be said for someone who can be that honest about stuff, even if it IS TMI =).

Andreina She's so funny.

I had one night stand once, but my bedroom looked kind of lopsided so I bought another one the next day.

Hannah Andreina wrote: "She's so funny.

I had one night stand once, but my bedroom looked kind of lopsided so I bought another one the next day."

Nice haha

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? I have never watched her show, but this book made me laught out loud. I don't have any night stands, but could use one!!

Slavica I had never heard of Chelsea Handler before I read this book, so I had no background to her personality or style of humour, etc. However, I've been reading fairly adult type material, similar to what's found in this book, for quite some time. There was nothing she shared that I found offensive or considered too much information. I think she's funny and I think she's brave, and this is one of those books, that had me laughing out aloud, on many occasions. It's not often a book has that affect on me, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I really think the world could do with more role models like her.