Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9) Pale Demon discussion

Ending of pale demon...?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carmon (last edited Jun 30, 2011 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carmon SPOILER WARNING

So at the end of Pale Demon Rach has the bracelet on, we all know she'll take it off but my question is will she take it off at the beginning of the next book or toward the end?

I really hope it's at the beginning because i love Al and if he's not in the next one much i'll be quite annoyed. But waiting till the end allows for self evaluation and character development... which Rach probably needs to come to terms with what she wants. Anyway what do you think/hope?

Hitandmiss I suppose it’s down to where you think the story should go. If you want more cases where she’s solving problems for people and such she needs to keep the bracelet on, else she’s way to powerful for anything to be a threat or a problem for long.

Personally I think it should be 70-80% Sub plot line (Case for her to solve) 20-30% Main plot line (Dealing with elf’s/demons)

I’m hoping she keeps the bracelet on for the next book, maybe last 2 chapters she takes it off fights the big bad boss and sets up the next book and hopefully last book on Solving the issue of elf’s/demons and the shrinking demon realm.

I Love the series but like Anita Blake shows’, dragging a series on forever is to the determent on the story and doesn’t work as the character becomes too powerful and plot holes open up faster than the writer can try to explain them away.

Carmon True but she's also having to deal with being a demon in the eyes of normal society, what laws protect her, can she even work etc so that can cause a lot of conflict. Not to mention while she gotten a bit better at using black curses she still doesn't like them much.

I think Anita Blake's dragging on quite a bit, but the Hollows actually seem to be getting even better with each book (i think plale demon's the best so far) and i hope Kim can keep that up :)

Hitandmiss The series so far has been good, and I certainly think the last book was great. However I just dont see where she can go and the story concidering that Ivy has practicaly left vampiric charms and Jenks seems to have run his course and we are basicaly just hearing him repeat insults about tink when he shows up.

I honestly think 2-3 more books where she solves the problems of demons and elfs and we get a happy ending would be the perfect ending for this series.

Carmon I don't know i can see quite a few possible plot and subplots that could develop from the last book alone and if she has the ability to pull off more books without it all falling apart like Anita Blake then i'll quite happily read them, i love this series and don't want to have to leave it till i absolutely have to.

Alice This is my favorite series. I hope she does it more justice than Anita. As for the nexy book I agree with Hitandmiss.

message 7: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam I'm afradi this might have jumped the shark. It took way too long to get to the meat of it. Too many side plots that got resolved too quickly. This book was meh.

message 8: by Munchkin (last edited Jul 12, 2011 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Munchkin this is one of my favorite series and i am anxiously waiting to see where it goes next !

Cheryl I think this last book was the best...and love the way she has developed the characters. People have shifted/evolved through out the book, even those who started out as "enemies" have shifted. I love how she has developed the relationship with Al, and how she doesn't just stay with one guy to live happily ever after but keeps evolving. I'm just not sure what the entire thing with Ivy was in Pale Demon...I guess it was closure on what they had, and now she moves into new things.... (hope I'm not providing Spoilers...but as it started with some, hope this is ok) I LOVE the series....have gotten tired of Anita Blake but have not given up on it yet and will read them all, only to book 8 or so on that one now.

message 10: by Bubba (new) - added it

Bubba  Mannel what the hell kind of ending is that,i am so pissed she didint say exactly what happens now, i loved the series, but this last book was just thrown together i dont think that she had any idea of where to go with this book, i have read the entire series and this one was just a wash i dont know for sure if there is going to be another one she is an amazing author, much more realistic than the HOUSE OF NIGHT, how real people would react to real life situations, i cannot wait for more i just hope that its better than the last one, i love you KIM!!!

Carmon Bubba wrote: "what the hell kind of ending is that,i am so pissed she didint say exactly what happens now, i loved the series, but this last book was just thrown together i dont think that she had any idea of wh..."

There's at least another three books coming :) that's what Kim's said anyway

Valerie Yoder-specht I've been a fan of this series since DWW came out. A Perfect Blood is THE book that I am looking forward to the most in 2012. And I think PD ended at a point where the possibilities are open and endless. I like the way Ms. Kim leaves some threads open to get back to or not to. I think she's a amazing story teller I love the way she gives her readers small details with big meanings... The only complaint I can really put out there is that I had been feeling up until PD anyway that Rachel and Ivy's relationship was getting to feel more like beating a dead horse, every time they would try to take it to the next level they ended up losing ground it seemed. But I actually like the fact that Ivy isn't hunting Rachel anymore and I'm sure Mr Cormel will have something to say about that...

Valerie Yoder-specht Oh, and I'm a huge fan of Al. HUUUGE! He's my Ally cakes.

patricia Valle i think she should be with Trent in the end but along the way i would like to see her and al she is a demon after all i do miss kist but oh well at lest he didnt betray her like every other guy i do so hope al kills nick :)

message 15: by Nykii (last edited Aug 11, 2011 04:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nykii In the second to last chapter, when Rachel's in the hospital. Trent tells her "Al saw you comatose,"/“He told the demon collective. Perhaps you should keep it that way.

I just wanna to know how does Trent know Al told the demon collective. What did he tell'em this while cutting off Trent's fingers.

Sure Trent could just have assumed Al would, it makes sense, but the way he says it. It's like he's certain, as if he were there and heard for himself.

Did any one beside get that impression and found it a little telling. Like maybe Al does know she alive and decided to just let her go, which hopefully means he'll be in the next book, fingers crossed.

Fangs for the Fantasy This is without a doubt one of my favorite books in the genre and the last book was a masterpiece of storytelling. The movement was so subtle that by the end of the book I was desperate to read more. I do agree with Jinks has now reached the point where is downright irritating. I don't want to read anymore about Tink's panties.

Rachel must now come to terms with who she is and is there room left for Ivy in her life? If Trent is not going to be the big bad that we have always believed him to be, will someone rise to replace him? How far is her relationship with Al going to evolve. There is a part of me that really wants to see her with Al and another part that wants to see her end up with Trent after the last book. Honestly, there has always been some kind of sexual tension with Al and Trent. I think it will come down to Al if she fully embraces that she is a demon and Trent if she decides to hold onto her humanity. Either way, I cannot wait for the next book.

message 17: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher I hope the next book deals more with Rachel's past and we finally get to see what happened at camp. It's gotta be pretty good if Trent offered her elven magic to remember. I was also curious as to what Trent was hoping to find in the fairytales for answers?We never find out what he's looking for. The new book is too far away.....

Crystalclearwpg I also am hoping that the relationship with Rachel and Al develop. He is one of those characters that you hate but love to love. The next book has to answer some unanswered questions brought out in the last book and I total agree with Cher that the next book is wayyyy to far away... ;)

Monica Briscoe I loved this book!!!! But was so sad at the end with the whole bracelet thing. Al is by far my favorite character besides Jenks...I am afraid we won't see him in the next book until near the end. We all know she will not keep that thing on her wrist! That would be like turning off who she was really meant to be. Can't wait!!

message 20: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe I no longer understand this series, and apparently don't understand the fans. I love books where the protagonist is a villain or morally in a gray area, but this series asks me to put myself in a ridiculous mindset. Rachel is ostensibly a good person, but all of her friends are murderers and criminals. The idea that Rachel could end up with Trent or Al makes totally reevaluate everything about this series.

Being a murderer is not the same as being a "bad boy".

Randy Smith @joe, the world isn't perfect and neither are those that are in it. Rachel world it is no different she has people around her who have committed all kinds crime and Rachel has done the same. Think of it as good people doing bad to stop bad things from happening. As for her ending up with Trent, Al of even Ivy it will be for right reasons....Love and total acceptance.Even those who we deem are evil want and need love and sometime it can make them better people.

Monica Briscoe Randy wrote: "@joe, the world isn't perfect and neither are those that are in it. Rachel world it is no different she has people around her who have committed all kinds crime and Rachel has done the same. Think ..."
so nicely put Randy!!!!

message 23: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe I have no problem with Ivy as a friend and potential partner (romantic) for Rachel. I see her as someone from a completely dysfunctional childhood and adolescence who is trying to make a better life for herself. But, I cannot accept that Trent or Al, both of whom have caused the deaths of thousands of people, would be an acceptable person to have any kind of relationship with. I am sorry if I am too narrow minded not to want to befriend or have romantic ties with sociopaths.

Randy Smith The book is about people or beings who are for the most part not the better parts of society.. sociopaths is how they might be viewed by those in our society. This book is not about us it's about them who are lot different then us. The book is fantasy.. nothing more..

message 25: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher there isn't really an innocent person written in the Hollows series.Even the white witches use curses to kill that should be labeled black.

message 26: by Cher (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cher Very insightful to you both Randy & Cher. It is a completely different world with different sets of what is accepted in society and what isn't. Also a different mind set as far as survival instincts, at least from what I've gotten out of the books. It's a much tougher world to live in.

Fangs for the Fantasy I would like to see greater depths of the motivations and actions of Trent. I don't think "it's just fantasy" is sufficient to justify ignoring what Trent does, but that doesn't mean that we can't see a greater explanation of his reasoning (especially as it links to his species being on the verge of extinction).

I think the next book may be a down time book. We've had epic struggle on epic struggle so I think the bracelet will give Rachel time to reassess, sit back and put things in order

message 28: by Jelena (last edited Nov 02, 2011 11:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jelena Joe wrote: "I have no problem with Ivy as a friend and potential partner (romantic) for Rachel. I see her as someone from a completely dysfunctional childhood and adolescence who is trying to make a better li..."

That's not fair. If you look closely, Ivy too had killed people. Put yourself in their character. Would you do nothing if your loved ones were in danger? Trent fights for his kind, for all elves, afraid of them being extinct. About Al...can you imagine how is it to be alive one thousand years and have nobody? In the PD he begins to understand change his opinions on humans(mostly Rachel) That doesn't justify his deeds, but he is changing, we know it, and Kim also said so!

Melissa Keenan I loved this book and cant wait for the next one to read
I really want her to end up with Trent child hood sweethearts so nice. I love hollows series it just keeps getting better all good things have to come to an end .

message 30: by Lyndi W. (last edited Mar 14, 2012 04:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyndi W. Is it weird that I'm looking forward to the eventual awkward sex scene between Trent and Rachel? If that doesn't happen in the next book, I'm holding my breath and stomping my feet until somebody apologizes.

Carmon Lyndi wrote: "Is it weird that I'm looking forward to the eventual awkward sex scene between Trent and Rachel? If that doesn't happen in the next book, I'm holding my breath and stomping my feet until somebody a..."

Haha yeah that's going to be amusing. Wonder how Al would react? :P

message 32: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher agreed!