British Horror discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 30, 2011 10:42AM) (new)

So now the group has some members lets introduce ourselves. I'm Colin from The Black Abyss, Inverness's premier Horror book review site. I've been a horror reader since first encountering James Herbert's The Rats in the school playground, although I think my tastes have developed a bit since then. Despite my rapidly advancing years I have only recently taken up writing again after a 20 odd year hiatus. That's me, what about you?

message 2: by James (new)

James Everington | 20 comments Hi Colin - I'm James from Nottingham, and I also have read The Rats in a school playground...

I've been a massive fan of smart, literary horror ever since I found a copy of a Ramsey Campbell in a second hand bookshop in Cleathorpes at an impressionable age.

After a few stories in a few magazines, I've self-published my first collection The Other Room as an ebook in the last couple of months.

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (mogget111) | 1 comments hi i'm Fiona. afraid to say stephan king kicked it off for me but james herbert was a clese second!!
especially like spooky ghost type stories.

message 4: by David (new)

David A. Riley (davidariley) | 2 comments Hi Colin - I'm David and I currently edit the BFS bulletin Prism and occasionally do a bit of writing.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome everybody,

James - I'm also a huge fan of Ramsey's work and I think it's been very influential on many of the newer writers.

Fiona - I have always enjoyed Stephen King and am looking forward to his new book in the autumn.

David - Congratulations on the quality of Prism these days, it really is a great read along with the rest of the BFS journal.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bacon | 1 comments Hi everyone,

My name is Stephen Bacon and I live in South Yorkshire with my wife and two sons.

I, too, loved Herbert and King and Campbell as a child (and continue to), although I've since widened my reading to encompass many others.

I've been writing since 2006 and have had about 30 or so stories published in the small press in various locations.

message 7: by Robert (last edited Jul 01, 2011 03:15PM) (new)

Robert Dunbar Hello, everyone. I feel so underprivileged in not having had rats in the playground as a child. We did have nuns though. Far more terrifying. And larger.

Thanks for the invitation, Colin. Great idea for a group!
Rob Dunbar

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 1 comments Hi everyone, my name's Robert and I'm a writer from London. I'm also rather partial to a bit of horror!

message 9: by ! (new)

!  | 5 comments My name is Death.

message 10: by Gord (new)

Gord Rollo | 1 comments Hi folks,

Just thought I'd stop by and say hi. My name is Gord Rollo and I'm one of those sad sacks caught up in the whole Leisure Books/Dorchester Publishing fiasco in New York. They published four of my novels (The Jigsaw Man, Crimson, Strange Magic, and Valley of the Scarecrow) but things have gone WAY downhill since then. Water under the bridge though, and I'm trying to move on with a new horror/adventure novel I just completed called The Translators, which is an alien invasion story, sort of:)

Cheers!

Gord

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Hi

Missed this thread, somehow.

My name's Mark West, I live in Northamptonshire with my wife and son and I've been publishing in the small press since 1998.

Started a love of mysteries with the Alfred Hitchcock & The Three Investigators series, graduated to Stephen King and, through him, discovered Clive Barker and took off from there. I read fairly widely across genres - don't do fantasy though - and don't write enough.

Cheers
Mark

message 12: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Skinner (JeffBskinner) | 1 comments Hello all!

Well, I'm not from England, but my fist published story was published in the England magazine The Horror Express. I live in the hills of Bloomington, Indiana. My new novel is Cynthia's Child.

Cheers and good reading,

Jeff B. Skinner

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad to see some more names and even a few "ahem" foreigners joining in. Needless to say everyone is welcome and looks like we are building up a bit of a roll-call of excellent horror writers.

message 14: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Chamberlin | 12 comments Hiya,

Sorry, forgot to introduce myself. Damnably discourteous.

I'm Adrian Chamberlin and I've been writing the creepy stuff ever since I could hold a pen. Like Colin, it started with Herbert's 'The Rats' in the school playground and went on from there. Favourite horror novelists are Steve Harris, James Herbert, Graham Masterton, Guy N Smith, F Paul Wilson...non-horror writers I enjoy are Bernard Cornwell, Jasper Fforde, Iain Banks (with and without the M), and anyone who writes a cracking historical text.

I've got twenty stories published or forthcoming and my first novel 'The Caretakers' was released at WHC this year - and got a very nice write-up from Mr Colin here!

Lovely to meet you all.

message 15: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) Willie Meikle signing in... a Scot now in exile in Canada, I've been writing for twenty years now, and finally starting to see some success. Just gone full time. Scary, but if I didn't give it a go I'd only regret it.

message 16: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 5 comments Hi, gang. Like, it seems, a lot of you, I started off as a teenager with a shelf full of black James Herbert novels. From there I wandered off down Cthulhu Alley, which is where I spend a lot of time now. (My first Lovecraftian sci-horror novella is just out on Amazon for Kindle. Plug-plug-plug! Sorry!) Outside of HPL-style stuff, I tend towards M.R.James, Dickens (seriously, if you haven't read his ghost stories, you should) and Poe. And, outside of horror / supernatural fiction altogether, my favourite author is probably Ballard.

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue (namelessnarrator) Hello, should have introduced myself before commenting on another posting, but - I'm Susan, from a small town near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I've been reading horror for about 35 years now, starting with Poe and Lovecraft, moving into Stephen King and Peter Straub, then plunging into every anthology I could find for years, catching up on the field. I haven't written any fiction that's been published, but I do write reviews and recommendations on horror for a couple of local e-zines and libraries. I'm looking forward to reading some of your works, and exchanging recommendations and having discussions on good horror fiction. My all time favorite author is Jonathan Carroll - not horror, but he can raise the hair on the back of your neck sometimes just the same.

message 18: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Reynolds (graemereynolds) | 4 comments Hi, my name is Graeme Reynolds and I've been a life long horror enthusiast.
I started writing about three years ago and have had over twenty short stories published in various anthologies and ezines.
My first novel, High Moor, is due out later this year. I have tried to do a classic werewolf tale with a few twists along the way. Urban fantasy romance it certainly isn't.

message 19: by James (new)

James Everington | 20 comments Hi Graeme,

"Urban fantasy romance it certainly isn't" - thank goodness!

message 20: by Julian (new)

Julian White | 1 comments Hi, I'm Julian White. I review horror films for various magazines and sites, and I've just issued an ambitious, multi-stranded novel, The Diviners, on Kindle. Glad to be on board!

The Diviners

message 21: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Othen | 2 comments Hi, I'm Shaun Othen. I started with all the 'classics'
James Herbert, Shaun Hutson, Clive Barker. The Hellbound heart kick started my own desire to write.
I've just released my second novel Excerpts from the everyday unknown on the kindle. I'm proud to say it's very nasty.
Cheers

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Hi, I'm Danielle. I joined because I would love to find recommendations for good, subtle horror, and I enjoy writing with a British sensibility.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Welcome aboard Danielle (and all the others who have recently stopped by). You might want to try some Tim Lebbon, his novellas are among the most emotional, subtle and moving horror stories around. Try something like The Naming Of Parts, The Thief Of Broken Toys or White, all highly recommended.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Thanks, Colin. I did enjoy the Hellboy novel written by Tim Lebbon.

message 25: by Scott (new)

Scott Robinson (scottbrobinson) | 1 comments Hi Colin:

Let me first say it was a bit sad to find Black Abyss "turning off the lights." You have some great reviews etc there...

I'm a US author whose work sometimes delves into horror. I was so very pleased to recently appear alongside a couple UK greats in the one-year anniversary issue of Dark Fiction. The Ramsey Campbell podcast in this issue was a particular joy to listen to.

I'm not a profound reader of British horror. But what I've tasted, I very much like. I think my own writing somehow better fits in with the horror renaissance occurring in the UK than anything unfolding in my home country.

Anyways, glad to see you and this group on GoodReads.

message 26: by Mark (new)

Mark Faulkner (markrfaulkner) | 2 comments Hi,
I'm Mark and have just come across this group. I got into Horror through King, Herbert, Barker et al. Im always on the lookout for new British horror to read and it's good to find others who like the same. I also write and have a small collection of short stories published and my debut novel is released in the new year. If anyone wants a preview then please get in touch as I'm after test readers and people willing to write a review whe it comes out.
Mark

message 27: by Frazer (new)

Frazer Lee (frazerlee) | 11 comments Hello, I'm Frazer. My first novel 'The Lamplighters' is out now from Samhain Horror (editor: Don D'Auria). My movie novelisation 'Panic Button' is also out now, based on my screenplay for the horror/thriller feature film which premiered at Film4 Frightfest 2011. Great to see so many horrorheads on Goodreads!

message 28: by James (new)

James Everington | 20 comments Good choices Kyle - I'm a massive Ramsey Campbell fan (less so James Herbert to be honest, but he's had some good 'uns)

message 29: by Edward (new)

Edward Parker (EParker) | 1 comments Hi

I'm Ed. I'm British, I am, of course, a horror fan, and many of my favorite horror writers are British. I do have a liking for those slim paperback horror novels that were published in the 1970s/80s. Favorites are of course James Herbert, Shaun Hutson, Guy N Smith, but I have also read and enjoyed novels by others such as Richard Lewis and John Halkin.

I am also a writer myself and last July had my first novel, Blood Tide, published as a Kindle ebook. This novel was very much influenced by the afore mentioned writers.

Anyhow, great looking group, glad to be a member!

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert Dunbar ! wrote: "My name is Death."

Did no one comment on how pleased they were to have met Death? Seriously?

message 31: by Steve (new)

Steve (greatbritishhorror) | 2 comments Afternoon all,

I'm Steve, and I run Great British Horror.

I was introduced to horror, indirectly, by my father, when I found an interesting looking book on his bookshelf at the age of about ten. That book, as is probably the case with many people, was The Fog. I now read most things horror, although favourites are still the usual Herbert, King, etc. Recently re-read and enjoyed David Moody's Hater trilogy, currently working through the Hammer novelisations. Above all else, I have an undying love for short stories, particularly Christopher Fowler, Michael Marshall Smith, etc. - anything peculiar.

Thanks for having me.

message 32: by David (new)

David Haynes Hello!

I've loved reading horror since I first read Salem's Lot. This was quickly followed by all of James Herbert's books and one or two Clive Barkers.
I loved all the Hammer films when I was growing up. I'd watch them late at night on my black and white portable in my room. I also loved the TV series, although it always gave me nightmares.
I've written and published a few too. I won't go on about them but they're on my profile if you're interested.

Great group!

message 33: by Gail (new)

Gail Campbell | 1 comments Hi

My favourite writer has to be Stephen King, though I too love James Herbert. I love the psychological horror rather than the very gory horror and I love twists and turns that keep you guessing.

I live on the edge of the pennines in good old Lancashire and love to read as well as write.

I'm currently reading "Cell" by Stephen King which I bought from a charity shop in the Lakes, and I must say I am enjoying it!

My favourite Stephen King book is Insomnia - I loved it so much I cried at the end!

I have just published my debut fantasy/horror novel "Fractured Minds".

message 34: by Carmilla (new)

Carmilla Voiez | 1 comments Hi, I'm Carmilla Voiez. I love to read and write horrror. My favourites of the better known British horror authors are Clive Barker, Graham Masterton and Brian Lumley. I live just along the Moray to the West of you Colin. I have 12 books published of varying lengths and the 13th Starblood the graphic novel is due out this Friday.

message 35: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1 comments Hi, I'm David. I've always loved horror, and was raised on a diet of James Herbert, Guy N. Smith, Clive Barker, Graham Masterton and a few others.

I also write horror, and I have a number of books published, which have hopefully succeeded in thrilling and entertaining readers.