One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 1.0 > July Challenge 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zakiya (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:57AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) It's been a while since we've done this, but I thought that since we have so many new members now, maybe it'll be a huge success!!!

The challenge for July is:
~Read a book that's a part of a series! You can start a series, reread, or continue from where you left off.

Just let us know what book/s you are going to try to read for this month; or, you can post as you finish them. At the end of the month, I will post a summary of everything that was read!! :D

If you would like to start reading early for this challenge, you can start today, and the book/s will still count!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 10, 2011 08:08AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I think I might just post as I finish, because I have a lot. Here's a list of the ones that are on the list for sure:

~The Lens and the Looker (Verona trilogy, #1) currently reading
~The Bronze and the Brimstone (Verona trilogy, #2)
~Fallen (Fallen, #1) currently reading
~Wings (Wings, #1)
~White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)

Like I said, I'll probly just update as I finish the books..

message 3: by Dee (last edited Jul 21, 2011 09:02AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments ohh, i'll be in on this - i think I have at least 6 series books on the pile for July

Chasin' Eight (Rough Riders bk 11) - Finished
Entwined (eternal guardians bk 2) - finished
Succubus Shadows (georgina Kincaid bk 5) - ugh, its going to be a long 6 week wait for the last book in the series
The Letter Z (coda bk 3) - it was ok as a follow up to other books in the series

message 4: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Awesome :). I think this is one of the easiest challenges I've ever done. Lol

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments really cant wait to do this challenge!

message 6: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) It will definitely be awesome! I just finished a novella, and now I'm reading a Stand Alone, so I've really got to start working on some series. :)

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments same. im just trying to get through a few library books that are stand alones and will b starting series like the mortal instruments and the pretties series

message 8: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) thats cool. i have two library books on my list above (the last two)

the pretties series?????

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments or uglies (by scott westerfield) sorry idk the name of the series lol

message 10: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Jul 23, 2011 10:19AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments Haha I just read the first book in the Uglies series. It was pretty good can't wait to read the next. I also just have to read the last book in The Mortal Instruments series which is another pretty good series especially the 3rd.

These are the ones I am currently reading...
~ Wicked (Pretty Little Liars #5)
~ Night World, No. 2: Dark Angel; The Chosen; Soulmate (Night World #2)
~The Host (The Host #1)
~ Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1)
~ Killer (Pretty Little Liars #6)

message 11: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:45AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) The Host is part of a series. Last I heard, it's going to be a trilogy.

@Heather- Sokay! But yeah, its the Uglies series :)

message 12: by Heather (last edited Jul 11, 2011 07:00PM) (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments I really hope that the next two books in the Host series are as good as the first, because i dont want it to turn out like Twilight

message 13: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) How did Twilight turn out exactly??

And Pretties and Specials are awesome! I haven't gotten a chance to read Extras yet, but I am going to try to this month.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments like everyone was so harsh toward it after everyone read it saying it was terrible (when it really isnt that bad)

message 15: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) it really isnt! idk what's their problem lol. those books are so awesome.

message 16: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments Finished Wicked and started Killer

message 17: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) @Dee- Great reading! :D

@Meghan- How'd you like it? Love that series!

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments Finished Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) by Josephine Angelini

message 19: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Awesome! How'd you like it?

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments It was so good! I love Greek mythology books and this book had a really surprising twist in the end

message 21: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) It's greek myth.? aaahhh! Can't believe I looked right at that book this weekend and didn't get it :O

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments nuts - i'm going to have to buy it...library doesn't have it yet, neither does the state system (or it isn't available for borrowing)

message 23: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) im sure my library doesnt have it yet. i think they only get books that are donated to them and put in the YA section... ugh. i'll have to find out.

message 24: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments My library doesn't get a lot of books but you may want to check and see if they have an Interlibrary loan system. I know mine does where they get it from another library in the state.

message 25: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Well I know at our Library North, you can request that a book be sent over to the Main Library, and then go pick it up... I'll look it up right now.

message 26: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 10, 2011 07:40PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) they have a YA book named Starcrossed. but its not the right one -- Starcrossed (Thief Errant, #1) by Elizabeth C. Bunce

message 27: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments I was pretty good. I like how every books she finds something new to throw at you so you never know what to expect next. The only one that wrapped anything up was book 4 (which I heard she was supposed to stop at). Now with the other books...I don't know what to expect next and I still don't know who the new A is!

message 28: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL! Yeahh I want to know as well :D I stopped reading the series after Killer and haven't had time to get back to reading them. I think I will start Heartless after I knock out a few more books.

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments yeah, I checked the 13 libraries mine is linked into - no joy and the rest of the state system...one copy but its not available for loan through that system yet- which means it is probably a highly requested book

★Meghan★ wrote: "My library doesn't get a lot of books but you may want to check and see if they have an Interlibrary loan system. I know mine does where they get it from another library in the state."

message 30: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 15, 2011 06:55PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Update!:

Finished- Her Dear and Loving Husband (Loving Husband, #1)

Reading- Night World, No. 2: Dark Angel; The Chosen; Soulmate (Night World, #4-6)

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments Finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone

message 33: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Really awesome reading, Meghan! You're on a roll :)

message 34: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 23, 2011 11:55AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Update!:

Finished- Her Dear and Loving Husband (Loving Husband, #1)
Night World No. 2 (Night World, #4-6)

Reading- Fallen (Fallen, #1)

message 35: by Dee (last edited Jul 31, 2011 10:25AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments Chasin' Eight (Rough Riders bk 11) - Finished
Entwined (eternal guardians bk 2) - finished
Succubus Shadows (georgina Kincaid bk 5) - ugh, its going to be a long 6 week wait for the last book in the series
The Letter Z (coda bk 3) - it was ok as a follow up to other books in the series
Sweet Persuasion (sweet 2) - enjoyed Serena/Damon's book more than the first in the series
Sweet Seduction (sweet 3) - this wasn't as good as book 2, but still good - just felt like it was missing something
Seduction & Scandal (brethern guardians 1) - ugh, she needs to hurry up with the other books in the series!!
The Raven Prince - really ended up enjoying this one - can't wait to see what happens in the next ones

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments Finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling

message 37: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) @Dee- have you read all of those this month?! great going!

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments yep - couple of them were short - i'm not going to get much reading done between now and august 19th because I have my comprehensive exams, so I front loaded the beginning of the month

message 39: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments Either way Dee the amount you read amazes me!

message 40: by Tanya (last edited Jul 22, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Tanya (mrsreads) | 106 comments Wow, Dee...that's impressive. I feel like a slacker! :)

I'm starting this a little late, but I plan on reading:

A Game of Thrones - Fire and Ice #1
Cat Among the Pigeons - Poirot #31
Killer Pancake - Goldy Schultz #5

Hopefully I'll get these finished before the end of the month, but it's not looking good. My last couple of books were 500+ pages and slowed down my progress on my to-read list! :)

message 41: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments I finished Killer not sure if I will finish any more this month but if I do I will let you all know.

message 42: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 23, 2011 11:54AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Cool beans, Meghan!

Dee-- still, that's some ahmazing reading!!! :D

Tanya, welcome to the challenge! Those look like some awesome books. I've never read a series with 31 books :)

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments Lol - thanks :) and don't feel like slackers - I just have no life - work, school, read

message 44: by Melissa (last edited Jul 30, 2011 06:42AM) (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) I didn't think I would have any books to post to this challenge but then it got to be my turn for A Discovery of Witches and at first I didn't realize that was part of a series. I have to say it's an amazing, amazing story, and I can't wait for the next installment.

I have a few more beginning series books in my TBR pile at the moment and I'll continue to post as I read them if I get to finish them before July is up.

Also finished Pretty Little Liars for this challenge as well.

message 45: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 24, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Dee: That's okay, too!! Haha. Weird thing is, our lives are almost identical. Replace work with dance and we're the same lol

Melissa: awesome! :D

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments i'm throwing another book on the list:
Unveiled - enjoyed this regency - maybe because it wasn't the typical duke falling in love with xxx...but rather looked at what happens when the heir was declared a bastard and who took over the family - i'm def. intrigued enough to continue the series

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) I just finished Pretty Little Liars. I really liked this, though I think my watching the series had changed my expectations. I usually try to read the books first before watching a movie or series but there was no way I could do that after I happened to catch the first PLL episode, I was hooked. I think I will be with the books as well. I already put myself in queue at the library for Flawless.

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments I also finished listening to Soulless the other day - first in the Parasol Protectorate series - I've decided I like me some steampunk...i'll be seeking out more in this series in the future

message 49: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Dee- wow youre knocking those books out! :)

Melissa- glad you are liking the series! :D

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments soulless was an audiobook....11 hours which is about a week of transit time

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.