Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > 4th of July 2011

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jul 06, 2011 03:48PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) A safe & Happy 4th of July to all of our US Chicks!

Any plans for the holiday weekend? (Appreciate Freedom?! Thank a Vet throughout the weekend & Support Our Troops!!!) We're headed to our weekend place up north later today through Tues. Company will be coming & going throughout! Now I just have to narrow down what books I'm going to bring, lol!

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1311 comments Happy 4th to everyone as well :)

We have company coming from FL and Asheville, NC and we do our annual Blue Crab Steam/ cookout at my inlaws. They get a couple bushels of crabs and we all gather round and eat and eat and eat. We make other stuff as well. They have an 18 acre campground so we have lots of room to stay/play and camp (not me).. Fun.
Then that evening we head down to Myrtle Beach on the beach to watch the fireworks and stop at Baskin and Robbins on the way home. There are about 15 of us but it's fun and my kids treat it better than Christmas sometimes.. kinda funny.

message 3: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments Christine, can I come too, I am a huge SUCKER for Crabs!!!

I may head to the beach with my friend who has a house for Sat. and Sun. then I am going to my Godmother's for the 4th.....it's a tradition.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (marybt) | 336 comments I'm going with Christine! That sounds like a lot of fun.

We'll hang out. Go fishing. Sit on the porch and read. Get some firecrackers. We're going to a friend's house on Saturday....The usual.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Yep, the usual. Wimbledon finishes up this weekend with the Women's final on Saturday and the men's on Sunday.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1311 comments oh my.. I would LOVE to have all of us together to eat, drink and be merry and talk Books, the latest greatest etc.
One day maybe we can plan a meeting/get together.. how fun would that be? I saw that another group on GR went to NYC.. just saying...

BTW, just saw the other day that the movie "The Help" is coming out in August... I'm excited !

message 7: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 74 comments I was hoping there would be a 4th post here today! I have a few brief 4th of July episodes in my work between two little boys, one of them deaf. The comments above have made me crave crab. I love this holiday because it involves no guilt, only food.

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4843 comments I am still petsitting and will be taking care of 2 dogs and a cat.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (enchantedchrysalis) @Shelley- Mmmm, foooooood.

I get to see my boyfriend Saturday, he'll be down from Birmingham. Sunday is lazy day (with some laundry mixed in) and Monday I plan on going out to the country with a few fireworks for the kiddo and I to have fun with.

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Petrocelli yes, there is something about holidays that completely justifies burgers and chips and too much ice cream. "i can't feel guilty," i say to myself, "it's a holiday!" :o)

message 11: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 04, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I know this is an international group, and don't want to seem so US-centric as we are often accused. Still, I have to stand up. Our 4th of July is not just a holiday, it's not just a day for burgers and chips and beer, it's a day to remember that people laid down their lives, shed blood, and sacrificed their livelihood that we could live in freedom. Take a moment today to thank them.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Amen Elizabeth!!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1311 comments We went to a new place this year for fireworks. It was in Calabash, NC on the riverfront and had lots of people w coolers, family and music. So at 8pm we go and sit and listen to the music.
They start by honoring our veterans and current service men & women in the audience, they stand up. Then we all stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance. Next is a young lady who sings the National Anthem and the crowd is politely singing along, not to overpower her, at the end of the song timed perfectly the fireworks begin. It was the most moving 4th of July celebration I have ever been to. We usually go to the beach with 100's of other people and wait till 9pm and the fireworks begin.
We will be going back again next year.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 101 comments We watched some fireworks at the Rose Bowl. :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Glad everyone had a lovely weekend! Hope a little time was taken to appreciate our Freedoms and the enormous sacrifices made throughout our Country's history to make them possible (that still continue right now). I spent Thurs. through yesterday very appreciative of that and so much more because a year ago this time I was ill with a serious infection that nearly took my life and resulted in 2 kidney surgeries. (A year ago 7/5 my husband saved my life by getting me to the er!!!) It has been a very long, hard and emotional year and I am so thankful my husband & I had the opportunity for such a beautiful and relaxing vaca! (He's a Marine & Commander of an American Legion Post so we did get to stop by a couple of Posts up north, spent time with other Vets, but he was otherwise off for the weekend as far as ceremonies etc down here on the coast went).

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Well Jo, I certainly am glad the good Lord left you with us!! ...and I'm glad that you had a good weekend!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) ((((HUGS)))) Cindy! Thank you! I am too :-) It was a beautiful weekend. For the first time, I'm utterly Homesick for the cabin! I miss it, sure, but I've never been homesick for it like I have been since we got home! Odd!!!