Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Chit Chat > Any plans for the long weekend?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Do you buy fireworks? Go somewhere to watch? Turn on the TV? Don't care?

It blows me away that here in Phoenix there are firework stands. It's hotter than an oven here and SO dry! Go figure. Are fireworks banned where you are?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments When I was a kid, I LOVED those big boxes of Red Devil fireworks, and when my kids were young there would usually be neighborhood fireworks too. Our neighborhood is aging so there are rarely any now, and they've sort of lost their allure for me. The Greeley Stampede (10 days or so of a carnival, rodeos, and outdoor concerts around the 4th of July) has a big fireworks display on the last night. We never go to it, but we can see them from our front window. Q couldn't care less about fireworks, but I sometimes watch them. Jazz, our chocolate Lab, is only 18 months so not yet scared of them, but the three cats get all worried and hide under a bed. I think Greeley, and possibly all of Colorado, has a ban on buying them, but I know they're legal just over the Wyoming border so are easy to get there. There is just too much dryness and too many fires now, so I really think that only controlled, professional displays should be allowed.

message 3: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I have NO plans and I'm kind of excited about it. My youngest is with her dad through the holiday. Though I will miss her plan to take advantage and read. I was a sucker and got this recipe subscription type thing and my first installment came today so I'm anxious to go through the recipes and make a grocery list. We also have a new organic grocery store. Might go puruse that. My time is my own and plan to take advadtage.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I'm heading east across the state to help my husband get settled in our new "lake home." But I'll be back here on the 4th to get ready for my next-to-last week of summer teaching. Some fireworks are legal here, but I enjoy going to see the town's annual display. Last year it got postponed twice because of too much rain. Looks like this year there will be a lot of heat.

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey As it stands right now -our plans keep changing- we're going a friends house. I made fresh cherry cheesecake bars to take to a dinner party tonight(just to test them out before the 4th in case we do go).

Personally, I'd be fine without the fireworks, but I love the BBQ parties :)

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz Most fireworks are banned here (for individuals). We don't have any plans, but will probably wander down the street to the opening to a big empty field where you can see the fireworks display at the fairgrounds. Yu can't see the low ones, but we see enough to enjoy them - without the hassle of going there, fighting for a place to park & then paying to sit on the ground in a huge crowd. Then sit in the long lines to get out of the parking lot. Been there, done that. My son didn't really like going when he was little anyway - too loud. WE get a nice group at our empty field anyway. Last year there were a couple of horses in the field & they came over to the fence & visited too.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Well, I'm now in Ohio (although I don't have a driver's license nor a library card so I don't know if I'm official), and I haven't seen any "Fireworks for Sale" signs nor have I heard any loud noises (in Minneapolis that would already have been a given), but my guess is they are legal. Purchased fireworks by amateurs frighten me.

There will be fireworks after the Idina Menzel concert tomorrow night at the Cleveland Orchestra's Blossom Festival and after the Indians-Yankees' game on the 4th so I guess I'm covered.

Tomorrow morning I think we're going to a Farmers' Market for berries which is more "me."

Laurel

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments So happy you're THERE, Laurel!! It must be a huge relief to have your last day of work and then the move all behind you. Maybe you can get your library card and driver's license next week and then you'll feel "official." Will you be working soon or taking some time off to mellow out for a while? Just enjoy your new life whatever you do! All the best to you!!

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) The plan is to take a couple of months off to get used to things, Mary, and then to look for something, not quite sure what, perhaps part-time. Funny, but I already feel a bit lost and miss work. I think perhaps because I know I'm not going back.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Laurel, I'm glad you made it to your destination! Enjoy the weekend.
I am typing this quickly because we will be celebrating my husband's 60th birthday on Sunday. We are having a surprise party, and the biggest surprise will be that my son is flying in from Seattle. I can't keep up this charade much longer!

Have a happy Fourth! We have a parade in our township, and we might have to look for fireworks at night. It will be nice to have everyone under one roof for a few days.

message 11: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Carol wrote: "Laurel, I'm glad you made it to your destination! Enjoy the weekend.
I am typing this quickly because we will be celebrating my husband's 60th birthday on Sunday. We are having a surprise party, a..."

Carol what a fun birthday surprise. I can imagine the charade is exhausting but will be well worth if you pull it off.

message 12: by Annika (new)

Annika Well, those of you who have gotten to know me will be SHOCKED by what we'll be doing this weekend - sitting at baseball tournaments:)LOL We've been invited to a couple of BBQs on Monday, but doubt we'll be finished in time to actually go to either one. We'll try to go to one of our local fireworks displays. Boulder County has a major burn ban so hopefully people will be careful with fireworks this weekend. We just don't need any more fires around here.

Have a great weekend everyone!:)

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Carol, what a terrific party you've organized for your hubby, especially with your son flying in. This is a real milestone birthday for him so the perfect time to go all out!

My nephew and his new wife will be down at my daughter's tomorrow so we're hoping to spend at least a little time with them. Don't know if we'll go back down on Monday morning for our little grandson's neighborhood bike parade but we're also invited to that (we went to last year's). Wish it weren't such a long drive down AND wish we weren't due to have temps close to 100 for the next couple of days. It saps me!

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Laurel, seems to me you're doing exactly the right thing by chilling for a while and letting yourself adjust to all these new aspects of your life. A move like what you just made ranks way up there in the top stressors, so it's good you're cutting yourself some slack. I'll bet you DO miss your work buds and routine in many ways. I'd be shocked if you didn't! It'll smooth out, though, if you're patient and go with the flow. Enjoy the moment ...

message 15: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) A double surprise for your husband! It sounds wonderful, Carol. I can't think of a more perfect holiday/birthday weekend.

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Happy 4th everyone! Not only do we all have exquisite taste in books, we all lead such interesting lives!

I just returned from two days of getting the lake house unpacked and set up. It is so beautiful and I hate leaving my husband there alone!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Theresa, how long do you two expect this new arrangement to last? Hope not tooooo long. And how long does it take to drive from one house to the other?

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa It's a 2 hour drive, Mary, so very manageable on weekends. But this will last for at least 3 years or until I am ready to retire. I'm really torn. I love both places, and my husband is in one and my son in the other!

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Laurel wrote: "Well, I'm now in Ohio (although I don't have a driver's license nor a library card so I don't know if I'm official), and I haven't seen any "Fireworks for Sale" signs nor have I heard any loud nois..."

Yay for you, Laurel! I hope you have a great time settling in. One of the first things I did was visit my new public library, which is so big that it reminds me of a book store--but everything is free!

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Well, the distance, as you said Theresa, is manageable. I'll bet you ARE torn -- one of those times when you, I'm sure, want it ALL. It sounds like everyone's making compromises for now in order to meet certain objectives. What's good is you love both places, so when a shift is made sometime in the future it'll be a win-win situation for all of you.

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Thanks, Mary, that really helps!

message 22: by Annika (new)

Annika Theresa wrote: "It's a 2 hour drive, Mary, so very manageable on weekends. But this will last for at least 3 years or until I am ready to retire. I'm really torn. I love both places, and my husband is in one an..."

Oh, Theresa - that's hard! wish you and your husband the best of luck as you adjust.