Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2nd Quarterly Report

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Well, it's hard to believe, but the year is half over! (or, we still have 1/2 of the year left to meet the challenge, if you are a glass half full kind of person.) So, your second quarterly report is now due. What I'd like to know is:

- How many have you read to date? and
- What's the best book you've read so far this year?

Cheers!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read 31 books so far and the best yet has been Native Son by Richard Wright and Left Behind by Tim LaHaye.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (lssbooks) I have read 16 books this year and my favorites are THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak, THE POISON TREE by Erin Kelly and 22 BRITANNIA ROAD by Amanda Hodgkinson.

message 4: by Debbie (last edited Jul 01, 2011 12:12PM) (new)

Debbie Reeder | 91 comments I have read 31 books so far and I think The Help is my favorite, but there are only a few that I wouldn,t recommend.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments 2nd quarter totals:
Non Fiction: 1
Fiction: 1
Mysteries: 2
SciFi/Fantasy: 5
PNR: 4
CR: 3
HR: 2

So that's 18 this quarter for a half year total of 39.
Favorite so far? Hmmmm.... Well I gave really good ratings to a lot of books on my list. I'll go with the nicest surprise, which was "Dragon Bound" by Thea Harrison. Of course, Gail Carriger's "Heartless" is waiting for me & my coupon on the new release shelf at Borders.

message 6: by Lin (new)

Lin | 205 comments 40 books on my 2011 shelf (including rereads (3) and shorts (1)). Best so far - A Storm of Swords (easily) and The Wise Man's Fear I seem to be going for fat books this year.
Surprisingly I've also read quite a few stinkers too

message 7: by Ivy Sarah (new)

Ivy Sarah Moe (ivysarahmoe) I just finished my 55th book, and my favorite I've read was (as always) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's my favorite book. As far as first-time reads go, I'd say Across the Universe by Beth Revis.

message 8: by Deb (new)

Deb 26 books so far with the run away favourite We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Runners up were Tar Baby by Toni Morrison, Still Alice by Lisa Genova and Gilgamesh by Joan London.

message 9: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (sabinasan) | 41 comments I have read 16 books, and my favorite has been Scarlett.

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins I've read 15 of the 50 and I think I have to say Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter is at the top. It's the second Nobel Prize winner I've read this year. The other is really a bit of a brick but it was a good one too - Kristen Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. The percentage bar shows I'm 19% behind! I'm feeling the pressure to meet this challenge.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane | 99 comments I have read 37 books so far. My favorite was
The Paris Wife by Paula McClain.

message 12: by Michelle (last edited Jul 02, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

Michelle Stie (michellestie-buckles) | 192 comments I've read 26 so far, with a goal of 55 for the year. I'm a few behind. :( The best book I've read this year has been The Garden of Beasts by Eric Larson. It's a non-fiction account of the US ambassador to Germany's time in Nazi Germany during Hitler's rise to power. It's extremely well written.

message 13: by lisa, Questioner (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
so far i've read 17 books. by far the best book i've read this year is Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner, but the second best book is the book i just finished today, which is Last Orders by Graham Swift. both of these books happen to be winners of the Booker Prize, and I have no idea what competition they were up against but they are both outstanding reads.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol I've read 35 books so far - doing much better than last year! They are all my favorites if I finish them, but I especially enjoyed The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick and The Distant Hours by Kate Morton.

message 15: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) So far i have 15 reads (slow reader!) Favorites: The Eye of the World, Pride and Prejudice, Lord of the rings trilogy was epic also :D

message 16: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1789 comments Mod
So far I've read 34 books this year. Since my goal was to read 67 books that were on my to-read list before 2011, I'm actually less than half-way to my goal (31 books so far). I'm still right on track to read 12 books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list, though (Yay!).

The best I've read so far ... hmmm... I really liked Little Men and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott, Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, Frankenstein, the fourth Maisie Dobbs book, and Timeline by Michael Crichton, but I'm going to say that my FAVORITE so far has been Uncle Tom's Cabin!

message 17: by Wim (last edited Jul 05, 2011 02:28PM) (new)

Wim (Tristran) | 47 comments I finished only 8 books this year, not how this was supposed to turn out. ;-) I hope to catch up during the summer!

My favourite so far has been The Lord of the Rings trilogy (with Fellowship of the Ring the best if I had to pick just one).

message 18: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I've read 35 books this year, towards a goal of 70, so I've passed the half-way hump!

I'm not sure I have one favorite that stands above the others, but I've especially enjoyed:

How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone by Saša Stanišić
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Embers by Sándor Márai
Flow Down Like Silver: Hypatia of Alexandria by Ki Longfellow
The Key by Junichiro Tanizaki

message 19: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Hall i only started in june but read 11 so far

message 20: by Brook (new)

Brook (BruCrew) | 64 comments Up to 36 and hoping to have all 50 done before school starts. I've read and re-read a lot of wonderful books so far, and while I could try to sound more highbrow, my favorite book has been "Bossypants" by Tina Fey. I not only laughed out loud, I laughed 'til I was crying and gasping for breath. How many books can do that?

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulay) | 200 comments Hi - I have read 21 books, and the most interesting so far is "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks".

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Brunet (gruxita) I've read 17 books and the best one has been "The witches of Mayfair Part I" by Anne Rice. I've avoided reading her, but had to for bookclub, and she's amazing!! Ive her a chance if you haven't already.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily My goal is set at 30, not 50, but I'm on pace, which shocks me. As of the 1st Quarterly Report I had only read 5 books, but I'm now up to 17 (2 books ahead of my goal!).

My favorite book this year so far is definitely Jane Eyre. I suppose I'm a little late to the game on this one, but I read it for the first time this year and absolutely loved it.

message 24: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 221 comments I'm a frequent lurker, thought I'd actually contribute since I do enjoy everyone's comments and have read some great books I probably wouldn't have chosen on my own. So thanks!

I was at 17 books at the end of June. Favorite is a toss up between The Hangman's Daughter - Oliver Pötzsch and Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk. Enjoyed them both, for completely different reasons.

Happy reading!

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 598 comments I have read 43 books. My favorite so far has been Laura Hillenbrand's
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption.

message 26: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) To date, I've read 25 books so I'm halfway there. But since I'm doing my Bachelor's Thesis, I don't expect to be reading much for recreation.

My favourite book this year has been Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. I don't read that much scifi, and what drew me to buy this book was mostly the blurb by Stephen King. But the story seemed interesting and I found it to be so. While there were a few things that didn't come together for me, they were small enough to not bother me in the long run and I was able to enjoy the story so much. Before reading this, I had finished so many books that were either not great or just okay IMHO. This book was a much-needed pick up for me.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol Bohlmann-Becker I have read 28 books so far. I just hate picking favorites though I have so many. I just finished Pigs in Heaven byBarbara Kingsolver. I love her stories and this one and the Pigs in Heaven just hit a special place in my heart.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments I've read 16 books so far. My favorite has been "On Kingdom Mountain" about a feisty older lady that lives on a mountain that is "neither in the U.S. or Canada" who meets a aviator looking for hidden treasure.