Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Book of the Month > July 2011 Book of the Month: Feed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Cheney | 255 comments Mod
The votes are in and Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant has been selected as our July 2011 B&N Nook Book of the Month group read, with 26 votes, and Game of Thrones coming in second with 18 votes.

Remember to check the discussion thread to add any comments or thought as you read along with the rest of the group this month!

Also, this past month, many members had trouble finding the poll for voting. For our polls, usually, if you go to the discussion thread for the Book of the month, and look in the column in the upper right hand column, you should see an item at the bottom right marked "polls". You could also find this from the Barnes & Noble Nook group home page.

HOWEVER, the correct poll is in some mysterious, random-to-me order, and very rarely at the top of the page. Keep scrolling around until you find the right poll, each month. Sometimes sorting to "newest" helps, or at least re-arranges the order, but never seems to bring the poll to the top of the page.

Don't forget to add your nominations for August when the thread for August nominations starts sometime around July 15th! There were quite a few July nominations coming in after the poll was already up and it would be nice to have them put forward again for August.

By the way, I read this book already and enjoyed it enough that I'm about a quarter way through the 2nd book, Deadline (Newsflesh, #2) by Mira Grant , so if Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant appeals to you, the "fun" can continue!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin I downloaded my copy yesterday :). Can't wait to read this one!!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments Feed sounds like a free ebook for our Nook, does anyone remember that??? I think I have it, but I didn't bring my Nook to work with me today.

message 4: by Kit (new)

Kit (ndkitten) Linda wrote: "Feed sounds like a free ebook for our Nook, does anyone remember that??? I think I have it, but I didn't bring my Nook to work with me today."

I just checked and the ebook is $7.99 at B&N. Wish it were free! LOL

Looks like a good book though, so I may give it a go! :)

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Linda wrote: "Feed sounds like a free ebook for our Nook, does anyone remember that??? I think I have it, but I didn't bring my Nook to work with me today."

I don't think it was free but I remember it being really cheap at one point I think it was $2.99

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I suppose I could be getting it mixed up with another book, I will check it out when I get home. Maybe I downloaded it when it was cheap.... that would be wonderful!!!

message 7: by Angela (new)

It WAS $2.99 at one point!

message 8: by Reading Wolf (new)

Reading Wolf (readingwolfminda) | 25 comments I couldn't find it at my library in ebook form so I downloaded it as an audiobook. It has 16 parts to it so I'm gonna try to listen to it as fast as I can.

message 9: by Chara (new)

Chara (charalee) I got it in an epub format. Ill send it to the first 10 people who post their email address. then they can continue to share the wealth.

message 10: by Chara (new)

Chara (charalee) It was fairly easy for me to find the poll. I just went to the polls and then pushed ctrl+f. This brings up a search box at the bottom of the browser window. Then I just typed in "july"...it took me right to the July poll!

message 11: by Angela (new)

Chara!
You are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 12: by Maritza (new)

Maritza | 50 comments I also have it in epub if anyone wants it

message 13: by Kelly A (new)

Kelly A (kander33) Jackie wrote: "Chara, I would love it if you send it to me and I'm willing to share the wealth:

jlane(at)raigroup(dot)com

Jackie"

Jackie...will you share the wealth with me please?

message 14: by Ronald (new)

Ronald Huxley | 10 comments Chara wrote: "I got it in an epub format. Ill send it to the first 10 people who post their email address. then they can continue to share the wealth."

I would love a copy to read: rehuxley(at)gmail(dot)com

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Borders (Chrissythebookjunkie) Ronald wrote: "Chara wrote: "I got it in an epub format. Ill send it to the first 10 people who post their email address. then they can continue to share the wealth."

I would love a copy to read: rehuxley(at)gma..."

christine.borders@gmail.com is my email , thanks

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine Borders (Chrissythebookjunkie) Chara wrote: "I got it in an epub format. Ill send it to the first 10 people who post their email address. then they can continue to share the wealth."

may I borrow christine.borders@gmail.com

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) looking forward to starting this, i have to finish city of bones this weekend, then i will start. :)

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin Chara wrote: "I got it in an epub format. Ill send it to the first 10 people who post their email address. then they can continue to share the wealth."

Chara can you please send it to me? My email is:
erinedavis@roadrunner.com

Thanks!!

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 2 comments I would love a copy if anyone can send: ivydiva1908@gmail.com. Thanks

message 20: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) Maritza wrote: "I also have it in epub if anyone wants it"

Hi Maritza,

Is it possible to send me a copy?

newyork.roxy@gmail.com.

Thanks!

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I would love an epub of Feed! :) I checked the book out at the library, but having it on my nook would be awesome! Thanks!! jennt888 @ gmail.com

message 22: by Babbs (last edited Jul 09, 2011 03:51PM) (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) Jackie wrote: "Chara, I would love it if you send it to me and I'm willing to share the wealth:

jlane(at)raigroup(dot)com

Jackie"

I think there are already 10 requests for Chara, but if you're still willing to share I'd love a copy.

message 23: by Maritza (new)

Maritza | 50 comments sorry ladies...i haven't checked this thread all weekend. will be sending out the copies tonight!

message 24: by Maritza (new)

Maritza | 50 comments ok sent file to aeWray,jennifer,roxy,tina and dawn
also sent the second book in the series ( i believe its the second book)

did the rest of you get the book from chara?

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) I am about a 100 pages in and so far i am finding it to be an interesting easy read.

message 26: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) Maritza wrote: "ok sent file to aeWray,jennifer,roxy,tina and dawn
also sent the second book in the series ( i believe its the second book)

did the rest of you get the book from chara?"

Thanks!

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) I finished this book..it was amazing..i can't wait to start Deadline.

message 28: by Maritza (new)

Maritza | 50 comments Karen wrote: "If anyone is willing to share, I'd love to get a copy. My library doesn't have it. Thanks!

Whydoupickonme@aol.com"

sent!

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 167 comments I will have this book by the end of this week. Very excited about reading this one

message 30: by Traci (new)

Traci (traciinaz) | 6 comments I'm about 80 pages in. So far I really like it. :)

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) I finished this and Deadline (book2). i have read 88 books this year and Deadline is hands down one of the best books i have read!

message 32: by Angela (new)

I loved Deadline! (And Feed!) I wouldn't say these are great literature, but they were so compelling! There's something about the combination of technology and survival strategies that really drew me in. Can't wait for the third book!

message 33: by Angela (new)

And probably many of you remember that someone pointed out last month that Feed is a 2011 nominee for a Hugo award for best novel.

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) Angela2932 wrote: "I loved Deadline! (And Feed!) I wouldn't say these are great literature, but they were so compelling! There's something about the combination of technology and survival strategies that really dre..."

I agree, but this book was fresh, the premise was freakin scary and the suspense was fast paced. It's not the Passage or The name of the Wind, but i could see this winning the Hugo.

message 35: by Brittainy (new)

Brittainy Bolding | 2 comments Hi, new member to this group (just got my Nook a week or so ago and I LOOOOVVVEEE IT!!)

I'd love it if someone would share the love and email the book to me: brittainybolding@yahoo.com

Thanks!
:)

message 36: by Brittainy (new)

Brittainy Bolding | 2 comments Kimberly wrote: "Angela2932 wrote: "I loved Deadline! (And Feed!) I wouldn't say these are great literature, but they were so compelling! There's something about the combination of technology and survival strateg..."

I'm about half-way through the Passage and it seems to just run stale... is it worth finishing?

message 37: by Chara (new)

Chara (charalee) Brittainy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Angela2932 wrote: "I loved Deadline! (And Feed!) I wouldn't say these are great literature, but they were so compelling! There's something about the combination of technology and..."

I'm wondering the same thing Brittainy! I'm not really getting as into The Passage as I had hoped, and I don't want to waste my time on such a long read. I've just been reading it bit by bit when I dont feel like reading the handful of other books that I'm currently in the middle of.

message 38: by Chara (new)

Chara (charalee) Brittainy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Angela2932 wrote: "I loved Deadline! (And Feed!) I wouldn't say these are great literature, but they were so compelling! There's something about the combination of technology and..."

I'm wondering the same thing Brittainy! I'm not really getting as into The Passage as I had hoped, and I don't want to waste my time on such a long read. I've just been reading it bit by bit when I dont feel like reading the handful of other books that I'm currently in the middle of.

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) Chara wrote: "Brittainy wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Angela2932 wrote: "I loved Deadline! (And Feed!) I wouldn't say these are great literature, but they were so compelling! There's something about the combination..."
do not stop reading, The Passage is so worth it. not everyone appreciates all the details, but they end up being important. It gets fast paced in the second half of the book and all the slow stuff your dealing with now..will really be appreciated, it will also prepare you for book 2 and 3 of this trilogy

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie It's taking me forever to get through this. Maybe because I've never really been a blogger, or maybe because my two year old just isn't giving me time to read! I'm liking it, but not loving it!

message 41: by Reading Wolf (new)

Reading Wolf (readingwolfminda) | 25 comments Just finished Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant

The pace was wonderful. The setting seemed realistic (as realistic as a zombie novel can get) and the characters seemed well rounded. Well except for Shaun. But I'm sure we will hear more from him in the next book. :D

message 42: by Babbs (new)

Babbs (aebabbs) I enjoyed this book, though as others said it had a bit of a rough start. I'm planning to read the second in the series but have to finish up some actual library books before they have to be returned. No nook copies of those so they get interjected into my reading list whenever they come in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finished Feed by Mira Grant. Second book in the series is Deadline.

message 43: by Angela (new)

You WILL hear more from Shaun in the second book, but he never has been my favorite character. This is one series in which I found the setting and events so compelling and engrossing that I didn't need some affinity for the characters to carry me through and keep me going through the book(s).

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I finished reading Feed today and it was awesome!!! I gave it 5 stars. I immediately started reading Deadline and am loving it so far. I live in the same area in California and am very familiar with the locations the author mentions which makes the book so much more real to me :)

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie So this wasn't as much about zombies as it was about journalism. I think that's why it took me so long to read it. However, I did think it was enjoyable, if not something that really makes one think...what is science going to do to us next? I mean, I don't think zombies could ever become a reality, but if you read this book, you'll see what I mean!

message 46: by Chara (new)

Chara (charalee) I was so excited and thought I'd really enjoy this book. However, I seemed to lose my interest in the characters as the story progressed.

When they figured out the conspiracy, and when they realized what that meant for Buffy and George, I thought I'd get more worked up. But I didnt.

I also didn't like the ending very much.... I didn't really get me interested in reading the rest of the series. I'd probably give them a try,especially since I already have the 2nd in series on my nook....

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) I enjoyed book 1 (Feed) but i loved book 2 (Deadline). I felt like Feed laid the ground work for Deadline. i am looking forward to book 3

message 48: by Angela (new)

I liked Deadline better also. The intensity seemed to really escalate. Across both books, though, I really liked the ways in which people had to develop and hone their survival skills.

message 49: by Chara (new)

Chara (charalee) Angela2932 wrote: "I liked Deadline better also. The intensity seemed to really escalate. Across both books, though, I really liked the ways in which people had to develop and hone their survival skills."

Angela, you're making me more interested in reading book 2....I was starting to think I wouldnt like it!

message 50: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) I finished Feed last night. I almost abandoned it, but I'm glad that I finished it. I did feel that it started slowly, but I stuck with it because I liked the characters. I would read more of Mira Grant's work.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Feed (other topics)
Deadline (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mira Grant (other topics)