Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Shades of Grey (Flipback Edition) needs to be merged.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (last edited Jun 30, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

Stacey (prettybooks) (prettybooks) | 7 comments I think that merged this the right word? I haven't yet figured out how to (or if I can) do it myself.

Shades of Grey (Flipback Edition) is just another format of Shades of Grey. Normally when this happens, I come back to the page a little later (sometimes I just refresh the page) and it has miraculously fixed itself, but not in this case!

edit: Oh so looking at previous threads, the word I was looking for was "combine"!

message 2: by Eva Marie (last edited Jun 30, 2011 05:44AM) (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments It's combined.
Some people do use 'merge' but I think 'combine' is more common. :)

And yes, since you're a librarian you can combine (or merge!) books yourself!

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (prettybooks) (prettybooks) | 7 comments Thank you!

How would I go about doing that? I attempted it with another book a while ago but I was afraid that I'd break something, haha.

message 4: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I was nervous at first too but actually, once you do it a time or two it's really simple.
On any authors page you can scroll down to where the list of books begin and on the right side you'll see a grey link for 'combine books'. When you click on that it'll take you to the combine page and all of that authors books are listed there.
**If you were looking at books, for example, from James Patteron and saw one that needed to be combined and then did NOT see it on the actual combine page, something is wrong. Maybe the authors name is listed as Jame Patterson. One character off and it won't show.**
But anyway, so, then, just click the box next to whatever titles you want to combine and then click on the 'combine' button. (There's one at the top and bottom of the listings.)
If you want to try it go to any authors page and go to the combine page. Then look around and get a feel for the page and you'll also see a 'seperate' link. That's for, for example, if someone incorrectly combined books.
Say I combined two Patterson books and you know they're different. You could click the 'seperate' link for the one that should NOT be in there.
But to just see what happens you can seperate a book and then recombine and that'll show you the process.
Two books being combined will just go through and take you to a refreshed combine page. More than two books asks you to comfirm and then takes you to the refreshed combine page.

I hope I wasn't too detailed. :) I know when I ask something I want it VERY detailed because sometimes it's hard to understand at first. And who wants to mess GR up?!

I hope this helps! (You could even go to the links above and seperate what I just did and then recombine.)

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
Eva wrote: "Some people do use 'merge' but I think 'combine' is more common."

Actually, we use "combine" for what you did, and "merge" for combine+delete, which actually merges two editions into one.

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (prettybooks) (prettybooks) | 7 comments Thank you Eva! I just did my first one... that wasn't too bad. I didn't think to look at the author's page for the link - I've always thought it'd be on the book page.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There a link to the combine page on each author's age AND on each book's page.

message 8: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks for the clarification rivka! I don't do much deleting which would explain my thinking the terms were the same.
Deleting still scares me unless it's obvious it shouldn't be there. :)
About the links, prettybooks, I don't use the combine link on the books page, I never have for whatever reason. I guess it's just a habit I have to go to the authors page. But if I was just starting I'd use it just to get used to it being there for me. It's over by the 'other editions' if I'm correct.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Eva wrote: "Deleting still scares me unless it's obvious it shouldn't be there."

I think that's a healthy attitude.