Catch-22 Catch-22 discussion

Classics

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Kemp So, with my going to college and all, I decided that my major reading goal this summer is to become as "well-read" as possible. Any fundamental-, "duh, everyone should read to be smart and get allusions and such" novel recommendations?

(For example, I am reading "Catch-22" right now....)

Torie '1984' and 'Animal Farm,' both by George Orwell! 'Animal Farm' is an especially quick-read. They're equally insightful and thought-provoking books that definitely deserve to be labeled as "classics." Highly recommended!

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Brooks Read The Bible.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Brooks I would guess that The Bible is the most alluded to book.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Kemp Animal Farm - read twice!
1984 - read once
Bible - read twice

Doing well so far, eh?

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Brooks Read Plato's The Republic.

Torie Haha, indeed you are doing well so far. XD LOL very nice. ;D
From there, then, I'd say DEFINITELY read ALL 7 of The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. But those are so obvious that maybe you need different ideas...???
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare is great! Hilarious and brilliant plotline.
Otherwise I don't really seem to like classics, haha. I wanted to like Treasure Island, To Kill a Mockingbird, Oliver Twist, Cannery Row, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but I just didn't!

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Kemp Well, I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe already, and The Hobbit. I agreed about Treasure Island and To Kill a Mockingbird being....meuh. I think I was just too young when I read TKM; I will revisit it again. Yes, classics can be drole, I know! That's precisely why I posted this, because I am out of ideas!!

message 9: by Max (new) - added it

Max How's Catch 22? I was thinking about reading it. Anyways some books I like would be The Catcher in the Rye, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ender's Game, Moby Dick (still haven't finished it, it's a bit challenging but I liked what I read) and Huck Finn. If you are in the mood for a real quick book then I'd say the Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo as well

message 10: by Nada (new) - added it

Nada Al-Karmi Jane Austen books
The Count of Monte Cristo
A tale of two cities
Wuthering heights
The three musketeers
Les Misérables

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Kemp Catch 22 is pretty good so far. It's not hard to read and the narration is sort of stream-of-consciousness, which I find enjoyable to read because that stlye breaks up the monotonous "standard" narration style. I would like to read the Alchemist; that's on my docket. Huck Finn....meuh. I love Jane Austen--I have read a few of her novels; going to read Sense and Sensibility soon. I tried Wuthering Heights, but I couldn't do it--I plan on picking it up again some day. Les Miserables, I plan on reading once I become more proficient in readin/writing/speaking french. Good recommendations!!

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Kemp *style
**reading

Maxine I'm not sure what it is you are after - if it is just to appear well-read, you are obviously well on your way. If on the other hand, you are trying to prepare yourself for the work ahead, well, unless you have a book list for your classes, you're kinda swimming in the dark. It has been a few years since I attended university but it was my experience that what you read is less important than how you read it - analyze, analyze, analyze. Perhaps the most important book would be one on how to do a critique and how to write an essay, footnotes, endnotes, references, opening and concluding statements. Over the years, I have tutored both young people and adult students and I was amazed how many didn't know how to write an essay or thought Wikipedia was a good source.

James Marinero I understood Catch22 much more after seeing the film - I guess that means that my literary criticism faculties are not too good.

Just like I needed Apocalypse Now and Platoon to understand the (US) Vietnam war [I]cf[/I] the French one.

FWIW, include

Clockwork Orange
Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance, OR, On the Road
Brave New World
The Prisoner
Neuromancer

message 15: by Torie (new) - rated it 1 star

Torie Oh, by the way Samantha, if you've only read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" out of the 7 Narnia books, don't think that you've read enough! I'll admit "Prince Caspian" isn't all that interesting, but the other 5 you haven't read are absolutely amazing MUST-READS! (And they're super-easy to read, so that's a bonus.)

Kathleen First - I would adamantly reassert Maxine's sage suggestion - and THEN, just pick up one of the DOZENS of lists that have been made conveniently available online, i.e.,
http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/2...
Another tip - don't necessarily follow the list in the order presented...I like to read two to three books at a time (maybe it's my ADD). I've found I remember and appreciate each book immensely when I have a related book to refer or 'jump' to when my attention or focus begins to 'drift'. I call them 'serendipitous pairings' - sometimes it's a biography or work of history combined with a work of fiction from the same time period - other times it's been a work of contemporary non-fiction combined with a classic of science fiction focused on a similar issue or theme. Admittedly, the combinations don't 'work' every time - but when they do - it's pretty fun...thinking of your experience (as you work your way through the above list) as a great adventure and part of your own personal and unique journey will also add to your reading enjoyment. Reading doesn't just open doors to new worlds and awarenesses - it opens worlds - universes and alternate dimensions!

Enjoy!

message 17: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will IV Kathleen wrote: "I like to read two to three books at a time (maybe it's my ADD). I've found I remember and appreciate each book immensely when I have a related book to refer or 'jump' to when my attention or focus begins to 'drift'. I call them 'serendipitous pairings'"

I do the same thing! Usually I read 5 or 10 novels at a time. Some people don't understand how I can do it, but it's not any different to watching several different TV shows, really.