Teen's Utopian Society ~ bookclub discussion

TUS Archives > Your Thoughts - HUNGER GAMES

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren, The Dreamer (new)

Lauren (lauren-sky) | 513 comments Mod
Please post your reviews or comments on The Hunger Games here!

message 2: by Lauren, The Dreamer (last edited Jun 30, 2011 05:21AM) (new)

Lauren (lauren-sky) | 513 comments Mod
Let's jut begin by saying that this book is mindblowing (as well as the events in the plot). I'm constantly searching for 'unique' books that offer a totally original plot... and this hits the bulls-eye.

So basically this book (it was so utterly amazing that it changed my opinions on the world, by the way) is about Katniss Everdeen, a teen girl living in a dystopian world far off into the future. The only problem is that she lives in the poorest part of her country, Panem. The problem is that her father died from a mine explosion. The problem is that she must take care of her family and feed them. Once a year each District in the nation must randomly choose a boy and a girl to compete in the ruthless, deathly Hunger Games. It is a reality show that is used as a reminder of how bad the days 'back then' were…

I really appreciated Katniss' devotion to Prim, and I even enjoyed her close-to-nil sense of humour and emotionlessness. And yes, this made her a rather hard character to identify with, but nevertheless, it gave her that *POW!* that proper heroines need.

My favourite characters were Peeta (*sigh*), Cinna (what a fashionista!) and sweet, darling Rue. I would like to know more about Gale though. Is he as swoon-worthy as Peeta (that was meant to be a funny joke.)?

Now, just to let you know, I cry about once a year due to a book. And this year the 'Made Lauren Cry Award' went to the Hunger Games. Even though Katniss can have as much emotion as a rock, a few tears slipped under my eyelids when I read about *that part* (for all people who have read this, you should know where).

I recommend this book for almost entirely everyone. And I typed that word: almost, because it is quite gory at times. So if you chuck at the thought of blood, please, for your own sake, do not read this book. It could result in suicide. BUT for those with the stronger gag reflexes, I can 100% guarantee that you'll fall in love with this book. I swear an oath on it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree! So much!

The Hunger Games is an amazing book. A plot that has twists and turns and stunning charecters that you fall in love with. I personaly love love LOVE Cinna. I also like Rue (tear). I love how Suzanne Collins formed the book and how she made Katniss. You fall in love with her family right from the start. The poor ones who lost their father. Then she turns into this wonderful fighter! She won't take no for an answer and gos by her heart most of the time. I cried at some parts of these books. I swear I did. This book is good for everyone who is fine with a little action, blood, and gore. Oh! And death. If you are okay with that this would have to be the PEREFECT book for you. Not kidding. It's that awesome. Read it. Now. :)

message 4: by Georgina (new)

Georgina (daydreamingroux) | 4 comments This series just blew me away!! :) normally i only read YA supernatural type books so it was good to get away from the weird and wonderful for a bit - plus, there wasn't a lot of romance if hardly any. That's what i like about this book, it focused on something that mattered, i.e. the games, action and the problems the games had.

I agree with what Meagan said. By the time i was on the last book I didn't like Gale. Especially when he went to district 2.
Peeta was just amazing throughout :) I really hope they do a good job on the film and don't turn it into a Twilight disaster!! That would NOT be good haha :)

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee (nyxillu) I really like The Hunger Games...but I was expecting a much more exciting ending. I thought there was going to be a huge battle between the capital and the districts but they only sent a handful of people in. I also hate how everyone just completely dumped Katniss off at district 12 and forgot about her. I mean Peeta was eventually there with her...but it just bothered me.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still one of my favorite series. I did kind of like how the ending was 'depressing', it really showed you just how serious and dark this was for Katniss.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (goodreadscomheather-jane) | 7 comments This series was breathtaking. It really opened my mind about how different people view war and pain differently to others. How some people are born into poverty and war and fighting for survival whilst others rely on others instead. This book was really well written but like Renee above^^^^ I was expecting a more exiting ending. Overall, amazing book.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this series. But personally, how do people deal with wars by stuffing people in areas and letting them kill eachother?>:( this is just crazy. Another thing is, i like how Katniss would step in to save her sister. I was really sad when Rue died.:( an amazing character with a nobel death. Also, what suprised me was even after the fake interviews and the show that was put on, Katniss and peeta actually had something real!:) to sum it up, if you have not read hunger games READ IT NOW!!

message 8: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) Renee wrote: "...I was expecting a much more exciting ending..."

Now a question I have yet to see an author answer is: "How to adequately portray a warzone or other highly stressful environment with its full emotions?". I have been seeking for the last year or so a book that deals with trauma, loss, anguish, anger, terror, horror, and yes maybe even love with the depth of feeling that I can relate to. I mean I enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy, but the most traumatic moment was probably when Finnick died. I as a reader need that intense emotion much like an addict needs ******** (<-- put your own response to the blanked out area). Another thing that bothered me about the trilogy in general was Katniss and Peeta/Gale. To all you other authors out there, Never use a love triangle! Seriously I would rather hear about how torturing "terrorists" is good for the environment than see another fake "love" scenario. It makes me think the character is either a shallow, vain ditz or a weak-willed wallflower. Neither of which are even remotely attractive (granted this kind of thing happens in real life, but not to everyone. Therefore I would be more willing to accept this idea if it wasn't so widespread in current fiction. Oh and you Hunger Games wannabes such as Glow, try and have an original thought. Please?)
In conclusion; I liked the Hunger Games, would definitely read anything else by Suzanne Collins (and I already have finished her earlier Overlander series, which was pretty good by the way.)
N.B. I'm writing this after a 18 hour work day so if it sounds disjointed, insane, or nonsensical (if it's just crazy then you know everything is fine, as that is my usual style.) it's because I'm tired.
As for the comment about relating to the feelings, no I am neither living in a warzone nor do I need to read about feelings because I don't have any so that I may understand what the rest of the human race is like.
Last but not least, there should be a petition for changing ellipsis "..." from simply showing that a part of a statement was removed to also allow including pauses (e.g.: I wanted breakfast with...PANCAKES!).

message 9: by nikelover (new)

nikelover | 8 comments well the books were amazing,action-packed, violent,jaw-dropping,and a tear-jerker. But im starting to question wether the movies well be any good. Will it be like twilight, were the movie doesnt follow the book, or will it be different.
But anyways I FREAKIN LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!!!!!! XD

message 10: by *TheWrittenWord*Mo, The Believer (new)

*TheWrittenWord*Mo (thewrittenwordmo) | 848 comments Mod
nikelover wrote: "well the books were amazing,action-packed, violent,jaw-dropping,and a tear-jerker. But im starting to question wether the movies well be any good. Will it be like twilight, were the movie doesnt fo..."

LoL another fan of HG, welcome to the group :P

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-geerald) And may the odds be ever in my favor ... muahaha :D

...I just love this book too and want to get it out there :P

message 12: by Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ (new)

Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ i heard the author Suzanne Collins helps with the screenplay, so i have hope lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)
Glow (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Suzanne Collins (other topics)